Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bluefire vs fix guages

I am starting to plan for our expected summer cross country trip. While we made it home with a code scanner for engine temp and a phone gps for a speedo I would love a less exciting drive this summer! I'm debating between getting the bluefire and tablet setup or looking into re soldering this gauge cluster myself. Which I have zero experience in but I am a licensed electrician. I'm fairly confident in my ability to buy a bluefire after I screw it up haha. Does anyone have any advice on which way to go. I lean towards bluefire and be done however I don't believe it will show trans temp?

Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
I am starting to plan for our expected summer cross country trip. While we made it home with a code scanner for engine temp and a phone gps for a speedo I would love a less exciting drive this summer! I'm debating between getting the bluefire and tablet setup or looking into re soldering this gauge cluster myself. Which I have zero experience in but I am a licensed electrician. I'm fairly confident in my ability to buy a bluefire after I screw it up haha. Does anyone have any advice on which way to go. I lean towards bluefire and be done however I don't believe it will show trans temp?
Not sure what bus you have but I know for my 08 international RE there's a company on eBay that sells rebuilt gauge clusters for $500. Most have extra gauges compared to mine like Trans temp and an ammeter. Could work out cheaper than a bluefire.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry. 03 t444e ic body. I already have the tablet I already use in my work van for gps and scheduling app so only need to pick up the bluefire.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
I'm fairly confident in my ability to buy a bluefire after I screw it up haha.
The chuckle of the day. Thanks!

The Bluefire would work fine for this and will tell you a lot more than the stock gauges. I'd suggest one of the GPS speedometers and the tablet...which you can customize to show what's important to you. I've used a Bluefire in lots of buses with pretty good success.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

That is the way I am leaning. What are the cons to using the bluefire? I dont want to go into it with rose colored glasses
Old 03-18-2023, 10:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That is the way I am leaning. What are the cons to using the bluefire? I dont want to go into it with rose colored glasses
None, really, if it works when you plug it in. I did find a couple of buses on which the Bluefire didn't work, or which reported just a few items, but that seemed to be a bus port issue...not the Bluefire. So, if it works on your bus it should be good to go. I found it established a BT connection quickly and was good about reconnecting when powered up. It shows a lot more info than most gauge sets, as long as the port provides it...such as transmission temp, boost pressure, and other things for which there were no gauges.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:15 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I was under the impression trans temp didn't have a pid so it wouldn't show? If that is not the case and I can for sure get trans temp as well then I've decided haha. We live in phx area so any summer trip requires a mountain climbing. Haha
Old 03-18-2023, 11:03 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I was under the impression trans temp didn't have a pid so it wouldn't show? If that is not the case and I can for sure get trans temp as well then I've decided haha. We live in phx area so any summer trip requires a mountain climbing. Haha
The Bluefire will show whatever data it can access. I've had that show up on some buses with MD3060 or B400 transmissions, but I don't know about others.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
The Bluefire will show whatever data it can access. I've had that show up on some buses with MD3060 or B400 transmissions, but I don't know about others.
I have an 03 IC with a DT466e and 2000-series transmission and I get transmission temperature on my Bluefire - which is great because the gauge on my physical cluster is busted.

Only important thing I don't get on my Bluefire is fuel level.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
At545

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
on my 2000 BB tc1000 with a 24v 5.9 and AT545 with air brakes I don't get brake pressures or trans temp or oil temp on the BlueFire. Should I be getting that? it's the multi gauge dash
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:27 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Well it seems possible anyway. Air pressure and fuel still work. I assumed they were mechanical and not though the ecu? We have an allison 2000 trans as well
Old 03-19-2023, 11:07 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
I'm fairly confident in my ability to buy a bluefire after I screw it up haha
This made me laugh as well!

Quote:
Well it seems possible anyway. Air pressure and fuel still work. I assumed they were mechanical and not though the ecu? We have an allison 2000 trans as well
Correct, bluefire will only report what it can read from ecm or tcm. Air pressure is almost always mechanical. I'll have to check mine next time I'm out there to see if I get fuel level, I thought I did but could be wrong.

Mine is an 06 dt466e on a CE300 body so I've got the next Gen instrument cluster that didn't suffer the bad connection points like the generation you're on. Why international upgraded that in 2005 on the conventionals but kept using the old one on the fe and re buses I'll never understand, besides the fact the conventionals got a body overhaul that year the other types didn't.... I digress, anyway my gauges all work correctly but I've got the bluefire running on a cheap galaxy tablet to view some data out of the ecm that the gauges don't tell. I may pull a Christopher level modification to get my ICP/IPR data - that's what I'm really curious about seeing regularly without having to break out servicemaxx and my nexiq
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9 common rail
I’d recommend you resolder your gauge cluster and also get BlueFire. I have both working on my 1996 Thomas ER with a 2005 Cummins 5.9 and Allison 3060. I have the J1708 connector and do get transmission temp. I love the redundancy and the accuracy of the BlueFire system.
John 321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:27 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E with AT545
I have my stock instrument cluster and a bluefire on an old android tablet right now and I love it. My 1997 ECM with no TCM has somewhat limited data available, but still very useful for keeping a close eye on temperatures and a few other metrics when going through the mountains. You can fine tune each gauge and setup alerts if you like - I have mine set to start beeping when my oil and/or water temps reach a certain point. Helps remind me to pull over and rest on some of the big climbs around my area.

I'm also planning some instrument cluster upgrades, but even with the perfect physical cluster I'd still want the bluefire around. Reading active faults in realtime is another handy feature i wouldn't want to do without - and couldn't replicate with a cluster.
LittleBusBigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

We have since canceled our summer trip. It may be a fall trip instead. I did get the bluefire and was super pleased. Have a lot to learn and try on the road but I was able to get speedo, rpm, oil pressure, coolant temp and trans temp super easy. On our it seems like fuel, brake bressure an volts seem to be mechanical or still work either way.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:56 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

So I finally got around to using the bluefire and running the bus around to see how it worked. I had a couple of interesting things happen. The oil pressure sat in mid 30s but did move between 22 idling to a stop and 40 as a max. This seems low to me but I have no diesel experience. The boost pressure reading mostly read 0 but at one point while getting on it it went to a max of 7. I followed Chuck cassadys video and put on the barking brake and idled up a decent amount and it still stayed at 0.

Now the turbo is not loud but I know I can hear it. Does it really require that much load to build pressure or is my sender just bad?
Old 05-10-2023, 01:50 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Oil pressure seems fine with warmed up oil. I think the generic spec is 10 psi/1000 rpm.

Boost pressure seems low. Floored while in 4th I think you should get around 15 or so with that engine depending on hp level.

Old ones had fixed geometry turbos that really didn't make much boost until heavy loaded higher in the RPM range. It's also because the small amount of power they were making didn't require that much more air over NA.

Check it with a manual gauge, and if they coincide, you can look for boost leaks in the system. I've got a bunch of adapters that go over the turbo inlet and pressurizes the system with shop air. You can then spray the system with soapy water looking for bubbles, but if there is a substantial leak, you'll hear it easily without needing to spray it.