Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Bluetooth OBDII to j1708/j1939

I got an cable adapter from amazon so I can connect my Bluetooth OBDII reader to my 2002 AmTran t444 skoolie. I can connect fine via Bluetooth but none of my apps can read the j1708/j1939 protocol.

I did a lot of searching and can’t find the info I need....

Has anyone been able to rig a (preferably low cost) solution to read codes and engine data on a phone or tablet like we can on other OBDII vehicles? Seems like I have the hardware I need, I just need an app that can understand truck/bus protocol..

Thanks!

Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Perhaps this is what you are looking for : https://bluefire-llc.com/trucks.html
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Bluefire is an up and coming out of the box solution that seems pretty promising..

Scangauge D is another one that can read data from the 1708 / 1939.

or you can do a mixture of commercial and Build your own..

Click image for larger version

Name:	redbyrd-dash.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	26347

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Bluefire is an up and coming out of the box solution that seems pretty promising..

or you can do a mixture of commercial and Build your own..

Attachment 26347

-Christopher

That look amazing!
Can you elaborate a little more on in the overall concept of building your own and mixing components?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I put the scangauge d on my short bus and it's good for adding basic info that might be missing from your dashboard. I set mine to monitor boost, voltage, coolant temp, and average MPG. It can also pull and clear codes and do things like track your cost per mile if you plug in your fillups.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
A warning...Cadillac is the McGyver of Skoolies. He can build a supercomputer/gaming system out of three paperclips, an empty paper towel roll and a 9v battery!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Perhaps this is what you are looking for : https://bluefire-llc.com/trucks.html
Quote:
Bluefire is an up and coming out of the box solution that seems pretty promising.
I second the bluefire adapter as I have one (6-pin, J1708-only). I'd like the software that comes with it to be a bit more flexible, but that will come in time.

Quote:
I also have a scangauge D. I second the idea that it "adds basic info missing from the dashboard". All the info that I've become accustomed to on my cars is available on the scangauge D, but be warned that its display is not the easiest to see. Its probably best as a "trip" computer that you consult at fillups or other times when you aren't driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
A warning...Cadillac is the McGyver of Skoolies. He can build a supercomputer/gaming system out of three paperclips, an empty paper towel roll and a 9v battery!
I also second the concept that cadallackid is the MacGyver of skoolies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
Can you elaborate a little more on in the overall concept of building your own and mixing components?
See https://j1587scanner.blogspot.com/20...anner-for.html as it is my inspiration for my components listed below....

Deutch 6-pin J1708 connector:
https://www.ocp.com/j1708/

Copperhill Technologies J1708-to-UART adapter (not available yet, but don't want to build my own modified-RS-485 interface):
https://copperhilltech.com/blog/unde...edded-systems/

ELM325 J1708/J1587 interpreter:
https://www.elmelectronics.com/ic/elm325/

ARM-based, credit-card sized Linux computer:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Note that if you want to interface to your laptop, then you'll need a TTL-UART-to-USB interface. Sorry, I don't have a link for one of those handy.
EDIT: https://copperhilltech.com/ft232-usb-micro-uart-board/

Also note that I have no power circuitry listed here - still working on things....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Markydee hit it right.. I have a;; the stiuff he describes.. plus some of these..

https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Product...ID=BB-HDV100A3

I have this copperhill board.
https://copperhilltech.com/sae-j1939...with-usb-port/

it is not just an ECU SIM it can also read / write J1939.

part of my work was for the digital dash but also to improve engine to transmission communications.. if your engine has the provisions (or has) an electronic transmission.. (CAT-3126, C7, T-444E, DT-466E, ISB 24 valve, ISC) then you also have J1939 onboard htat usually sends all availabl;e engine parameters.. I find that Navistar sends a good amount of data over this.. J1708 and J1939 are physically different.. my digital dash is using both links..

plus im taking and translating the data for better shifting.. ie using engine loading, time, real throttle, cruise desired speed, cruiise actual speed, etc .. to help the TCM decide which gear to put the allison in..

Not all info I want is in the stream.. thus the Raspberry pi so I can take temperatures, pressures, etc and put them on the displays... im just getting started.. time has been short this year so i havent had as much time to really dive in like ive wanted.. most weeks im working 7 days.. i havent even gotten to road trip as much as usual.. work . business is in High gear.. dont believe anyone who says "business owners are lazy with their feet on the desk all the time".. it aint true. heck I havent even had time to go rent me in apartment in florida for the winter.. but then its still been summer in ohio so no need yet..

if you are wanting to write your own code and talk to the J1708 on your own on the cheap, the ELM325 that Markydee linked to is THE way to go.. its by far the best total DIY for the electronics / software hobbyist to get going.. next in line the BB-electronics deivce has a VERY easy protocol. and no soldering needed but it $$$ more.. those will talk both 1708 and 1939. and give it to you in different formats..

if you check out my 'RedByrd Transformation' thread in short busses I did a little bit of GeekSpeak with a sample code snippet to read and parse the J1939 with very common PHP-CLI.

-Christopher
Old 10-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Markydee hit it right.. I have a;; the stiuff he describes.. plus some of these..

https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Product...ID=BB-HDV100A3

I have this copperhill board.
https://copperhilltech.com/sae-j1939...with-usb-port/

it is not just an ECU SIM it can also read / write J1939.

part of my work was for the digital dash but also to improve engine to transmission communications.. if your engine has the provisions (or has) an electronic transmission.. (CAT-3126, C7, T-444E, DT-466E, ISB 24 valve, ISC) then you also have J1939 onboard htat usually sends all availabl;e engine parameters.. I find that Navistar sends a good amount of data over this.. J1708 and J1939 are physically different.. my digital dash is using both links..

plus im taking and translating the data for better shifting.. ie using engine loading, time, real throttle, cruise desired speed, cruiise actual speed, etc .. to help the TCM decide which gear to put the allison in..

Not all info I want is in the stream.. thus the Raspberry pi so I can take temperatures, pressures, etc and put them on the displays... im just getting started.. time has been short this year so i havent had as much time to really dive in like ive wanted.. most weeks im working 7 days.. i havent even gotten to road trip as much as usual.. work . business is in High gear.. dont believe anyone who says "business owners are lazy with their feet on the desk all the time".. it aint true. heck I havent even had time to go rent me in apartment in florida for the winter.. but then its still been summer in ohio so no need yet..

if you are wanting to write your own code and talk to the J1708 on your own on the cheap, the ELM325 that Markydee linked to is THE way to go.. its by far the best total DIY for the electronics / software hobbyist to get going.. next in line the BB-electronics deivce has a VERY easy protocol. and no soldering needed but it $$$ more.. those will talk both 1708 and 1939. and give it to you in different formats..

if you check out my 'RedByrd Transformation' thread in short busses I did a little bit of GeekSpeak with a sample code snippet to read and parse the J1939 with very common PHP-CLI.

-Christopher

Thanks for all the great info! I definitely may delve into this kind of project alittle further in the future. I just don’t have the time to commit while I’m trying to pound out the actual conversation. It’s really interesting stuff though. So I pulled the trigger on the bluefire system for now since my cluster gauges quit a couple of times ( I think I fixed it with some cleaning, dielectric grease and a slim). The cost is alittle high but I need to be able monitor engine/transmission parameters so I don’t cause any major damages. And the scan gauge cord won’t reach the plug in the back of the bus...

I think in a couple of years I may try and switch my 545 tranny to an Allison 2000, which should be a direct bolt up procedure for a shop. Problem is I will need to workout the electronic communications with my t444e to get it to work.
Is the coding your talking about the same sort that will allow me to program my t444e to work with a different transmission?

Thanks again
Old 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC BUS
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
Ever think about doing a write up and sharing the code when it's done?
X2Kawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
Oh man, talkin' dirty there. Cadillac. I'm definitely taking notes.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I don't know about cadillackid, but I intend to. I'll probably post everything on GitHub, circuits and all. The circuits aren't hard, but finding the time to do all of this is.

I need another vacation....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Bus Geek

same here.. Ill' share my code and ideas for these projects as i work on them.

I hadnt done a ton of work on this lately as i put much more effort into getting the ability to turn up the horsepower on Navistar engines.. frankly i got tired of crawling up hills in my bus.., now thatys done I can get back on the glass cockpit projects
-Christopher
Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #14

I haven't been on this forum in forever.

You found out how to increase the HP? ECU reflash?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
Bus Geek

yeah it involves altering the rating code, some times the ESN and then the Horsepower.. it can be dangerous if you mismatch the ECM and the hardware.. but within limits its safe and works great...

im still learning and taking notes as to which combinations of settings yield safe power.. goign up within rating family is pretty easy.. ie if your engine label is 170,190,210. and you go form 170 to 210.. going beyond then its time to look at what hardware is different and determine whether its safe or not..

I recommend anyone going above famioly rating to install a Pyro and a scanner to watch fueling rates and HPOP data...

-Christopher
Old 01-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #16

I would only be going up in my family so 210HP
Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Heck...I'd suggest a pyro for just about any diesel.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Bus Geek

The pyro is just plain fun, I drive and think “oh better watch my warp core temperature” when I’m hauling ass
Christopher
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
Bus Geek

"Ahm dooin' all I can Cap'n...ah can't do no moor!"
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #20