Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #1

Broken Radiator, help!!

The radiator shroud came loose which hit the fan & broke it sending plastic into the radiator. It is a 2008 RE International IC. How difficult are these radiator to remove & fans to install? What is our next course of action? Currently the bus is sitting at a mechanics shop that we happened to be by when it broke down but we have yet to get ahold of him.

Aethomp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethomp94 View Post
The radiator shroud came loose which hit the fan & broke it sending plastic into the radiator. It is a 2008 RE International IC. How difficult are these radiator to remove & fans to install? What is our next course of action? Currently the bus is sitting at a mechanics shop that we happened to be by when it broke down but we have yet to get ahold of him.
I don't want to come off as rude but...you're already at a mechanic shop so just have them take a look, get you an estimate, then figure out what the next course of action is.

Also, please don't double post, you asked the same question in another thread.

Taking out a radiator is not a difficult task, you just need some tools and a place to do it, but hey, your at a shop already!

Lastly, it's great you came on board and asked for help, there are alot of people here who really know their stuff and many more willing to help.
Help us help you by completing your user profile so we can all see what kind of bus you have. It really helps out going forward!

Hopefully your radiator will be a simple fix.

Good Luck.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
How difficult it would be to do the job yourself is dependent upon your skill/experience level, you provided no information about that. You a complete neophyte to automotive work or do you have 'shade tree' level experience? If you were an experienced, professional mechanic you'd probably have started on the job already so we'll assume you're not. It should be a pretty straightforward job, you know what needs to be fixed. Just keep in mind that everything on a bus is BIGGER and that means HEAVIER. Can you handle the weights involved? Do you have the basic mechanic's tool set? Can you get the parts you'll need? Can you work on it where it sits? As Ewo1 said you didn't give us much information.

BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to do this job myself. I'm not a professional mechanic but I've been working on my own equipment all my life.

Assuming I could work on it where it sat I'd take the opportunity to also check pulleys, belts and any other components that removing the radiator opened up to easy/easier access.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
I just replaced my belt driven fan, the air operated clutch, and the hub. I found the fan on ebay for a reasonable price around $100 shipped, at thomas the fan was 600-700. the radiator is going to be very heavy and filled with fluid (transmission and antifreeze). As others have stated get an estimate, but also try to track down the parts without going through the dealer, as it can get expensive quickly. A radiator rebuild shop may also save you some cash once it is out.
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Thankyou!! We are still trying to get ahold of the mechanic where the bus is at, it’s been almost a month now and we cant get ahold of him, it’s 2 hours from where we live also. So thats why we are wondering if its better to just let it be there and continue to wait or get it towed back and try to fix it ourselves.
Aethomp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethomp94 View Post
Thankyou!! We are still trying to get ahold of the mechanic where the bus is at, it’s been almost a month now and we cant get ahold of him, it’s 2 hours from where we live also. So thats why we are wondering if its better to just let it be there and continue to wait or get it towed back and try to fix it ourselves.
A two-hour towing job is probably going to cost you more than even the most unscrupulous mechanic can gouge you for a radiator repair.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
If you can't get a hold of the mechanic it is time to move on to a responsive mechanic.
I would tow it home and fix it right.
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote