Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3l non-powerstroke
Bus Parked For 4 Years... Now Cannot Turn Over

Okay. This may be lengthy... I bought a 1989 International S1700 full size bus with the 7.3l non-powerstroke diesel. I drove the bus from the previous owners house (he was the school districts' bus mechanic, he started the thing with a small squirt of starter fluid after plugs warmed up), the drive was about 10 miles and then I parked it on property. I pulled the seats and stuff, beginning to turn it into the dream RV. I removed the lower radiator hose when a freeze was threatening and refilled the coolant system with 100% anti-freeze so there was no question as to the temperature the coolant was able to stand.
This is the state in which the bus has sat now for about four years
So, I am now trying to resurrect the beast!! Started with a hot battery. Had trouble with the "brake pressure" alarm on the dash, I will not shut off and quit buzzing... I believe this alarm is preventing power from being sent to the starter as turning the key does nothing. Then, we took a jump wire to the starter solenoid and BANG, the start engages but cannot turn the motor. Then the starter was removed and rebuilt to good-as-new (just to eliminate that as a culprit). Put the starter back in... Did the jump wire again with the same result as before.
Now, we removed the mountain of rat and field mice poop and nest material on top of the motor. The buggers chewed up a two of the glow plug wires but that appears to be all (thank god). Then we soaked the holly piss out of the glow plugs, removed them (this involved a lot of patients and BP blaster)... I used a small straw to stick down each plugs' hole and see if there was any fluid causing a "hydro-lock" situation, NOPE! Then I sprayed all the BP I had (about 1.3 cans) into all of the cylinder heads. We allowed this to soak overnight, plugged in the block heater and waited about 2 hours, got a 15/16" deep well on the cranks' bolt and wrenched with a breaker bar... I went in both directions, when counter clock-wise I would end up loosening the damn bolt, the motor would not turn at all in either direction with the glow pugs out and soaked overnight and the blocked warmed and all the belts loosened..
Now, I am looking for any help at all as to what else I can do?! I fear the motor is shot, rings seized to the cylinder wall somehow . How could that be the case though when the bus was running perfectly fine when parked and not allowed to freeze?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I read forums all the time to help with my cars, trucks and now buses. Thanks ahead of time for this one

I have included some pics. There is one of all the glow plugs, one of the worst glow plug, and then on of a broken piece just at the end of the throttle cable??

MoliskaDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Bus Parked For 4 Years... Now Cannot Turn Over

Ok, so what you are saying is that the motor is locked up and will not turn over, and that even with the glow plugs out and cylinders oiled with pb blaster it is still not turning over. You should be able to bar it over with either the starter removed or the pan below the clutch plates if manual trans. . Have you tried that? And, have you put one of those scopes from harbor freight down the glow plug hole to see if there is rust in any of the cylinders? If not, i think they are 60-70 bucks.
Normally, the engine would not be siezed up after 4 years, or even much longer. As far as the air brake buzzer, it should sound all the time until the pressure is built up to about 100 or so lbs.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Okay, so the pressure alarm will not interfere with the ignition? and that alarm is NOT why the key does nothing (no 12v's to the ignition feed on the starter solenoid)? Also a side note to that, I think I remember reading on the web somewhere that the alarm will sound when driving and that the driver should pull over and allow pressure to build... weird? Don't know if I'm correct on that though
Do you think prying on the flywheel is best? Do you know an awesome trick or tool to use that wouldn't fudge up the teeth? Just a big ole pry bar? And I have some concerns with "hulk-ing" out and forcing the piston, could it surpass the stuck ring and further my problems? Which access to the flywheel is best? I know the starter area well now, but if from below the clutch is known to be better I'll go for that (it is in fact a manual).
Do you think because I didn't pull the freeze plugs maybe I caused this? Is it just because its been parked and not started for so long? How could moisture get in there to cause rust? and if in fact it is rusted at that point what? Oh man I wish it would just budge a lil bit.
And that scope is a great idea! Harbor freight has some nifty stuff.... Unfortunately the damn bus is 150 miles away. Thanks for the help. I'm aiming to head down next weekend and hope to get all the pointers I can before wrenching... (with out internet access down there)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Have same bus and engine

It is better to pry against the flywheel teeth with a good pry bar to free engine. Change directions of pry after any crank movement. Depending on the battery's arrangement, connecting the batteries in series will sometimes spin the engine over. Just a few short time trys with a jumper wire could spin the engine. Turning the bolt on the front balancer will not free the engine, merely loosen same. Time and patience will make the engine turn freely. PB Blaster should allow engine to turn. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I've only ever had a parallel type connection on all the buses I have had the pleasure (or pain) of messing with. Hmmm, Would the 24v's blow something else? Or are you saying to disconnect all the other leads on the starter and just hook the now 24 volts to the main post on the starter motor and jumping as I did before? Would the solenoid still want 12v?
I am pleased to hear I would not even be able to get it to move with the previous attempt of spinning the front bolt. It is VERY encouraging as I was becoming very discouraged. Thank goodness for this forum. It is near impossible to find information on the web without the purchase of an expensive repair manual.
So you say you have the exact same bus and engine?? Sweet, how has the 7.3 non-turbo treated you? have you put many miles on your rig? Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I haven't had my coffee so I didn't read everything, but you need to check to see if any of your emergency exits are locked. This will cause an annoying buzzer also and disconnect your ignition. If this fixes the problem, I will tell you where to send my case of beer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I just read some more. I saw you tried to turn over the motor with a wrench. I think ATF would be better than PB blaster down the holes.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

PB Blaster is the Answer.

I have a Vette 400sbc engine not covered very well. Water got into some cylinders and stuck the engine. Removed the heads and blew away any water. Filled each cylinder with PB Blaster. Made tool for flexplate to aid with high leverage needed. Every day, an attempt was made to move crankshft. After about 5-6 days, the engine moved just a very small amount. Wahoo, and so began the process of turning the crankshaft around altho very slowly. Installed starter and connected a couple batteries for 24 volts. The engine turned very well. The crank bearings were great but added new rings after a little work with a cylinder hone. Using 24 volts for some short times will not damage the solenoid or starter motor. Because the batteries in a bus are often very remote from the starter, wire the batteries in series and DO NOT operate ANY other circuits. Use a short jumper wire to operate the solenoid. The attempt to turn the engine will only be some 30 second tries. Using 24volts uses less amps than 12volt. Frank
Report all progress here........
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I'm not even going to describe all the ways we tried to pry on the flywheel... Just check out these pics
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

This stupid thing says the attachment quota has been reached? What the heck.. I am starting a new thread
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Okay, I figured it out. Geez.. This is what we saw first
http://www.skoolie.net/attachments/p...82b3fd66bf.jpg
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

And then this...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

And then we tried to get that SOB outta there and scrap it... It is harder than it sounds. It is a moist, silt loamy clay soil. The wrecker first tried to pick it up. Crazy good time watching him push and wench it all around, then he got stuck about 5-7 times once he realized the stinger wrecker was NOT picking it up... I paid $700 four years ago

He eventually brought a 5 ton skid steer to push from the pack as he pulled up the hill with wench/hydraulic bed. It was nuts. He flat towed it the whole 4 miles to the scrap yard. At the very last turn, the damn thing came up hooked and slowly began to creek backwards down the highway (insanity) and as we all frantically hoped out of the vehicles and tried to slow it down (never gonna work!) He ran out and threw a 8"x8" under the front tire and it stopped! Fhew... and then he weighed it at 14,720 lbs.... he charged me $177.60 for the two days of attempted towing involving hrs. of bull getting stuck. The guy was awesome!!! If you need to scrap in south central MO see "Triple C Recyclables"... the most honest guys in the industry.. Got $1000 for scrap and started looking immediately for a new bus. (forgot to mention we pulled every accessory like water pump, starter, alternator, and the hood.. etc.)

Within two days we had another 7.3l international, but it is the 1992 7 window with an auto tranny...... NEW BUS IN TOWN!!! (Dick move old bus, I speculate it had a leaky head gasket and I should have cranked it dry before parking, ya win some and ya lose some)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Great story
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I know it. Didn't go into enough detail on when he got the stinger rig stuck. Should have taken more pics, never gonna see that again. He did this inch worm type of movement by angling the back of the bed down and pushing with the stinger end into the ground, it slowly moved the whole truck forward (about 4-5 feet each time). Had to do this about 20 times? It was a lot...