Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Year: 1988
Engine: 7.3 navistar
bus wont start??? 88 international navistar

hey yall so my bus started yesterday morning i moved her across the street, turn her off and tryed to start her yesterday afternoon, the motor turns over, but just isnt firing. i checked fuses and also tryed starting fluid. she was parked for 3 months in cold weather, i started her a little over a week ago. one of the fuel injectors was leaking, so i replaced it, two days ago, drove 200 miles and now this. any ideas on what i should do or check for? some guy to me to look up where the ecm fuse is? anyone heard of that before? she is a 88 international 7.3 navistar, the engine is newer then the bus, i not sure of the year 93-97 is whats ive been told. she differently has been idling weird since i started her a week ago. i dont think she like being parked, its the longest ive parked her since buying her a year ago. thanks in advice, have a great day!

littleangel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: bus wont start??? 88 international navistar

Try a jumper battery or 2, most diesels take a lot of amperage to start and if the batteries are low it can still turn over but will not fire,,
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: bus wont start

Fuel and air, fuel and air...... And so, first take loose the fuel connection into the fuel injection pump. Spin the engine and notice any fuel. Got fuel, replace inlet line and loosen the last injector line. Got fuel, replace line and
put a hand on injection pump and feel for any click in pump as some helper turns the key off and on repeatedly.
Remove the air cleaner and listen to any airflow. No fuel at injection pump inlet could be bad fuel pump or some fuel filters are obstructed. On my 7.3 IDI, new 12volt fuel pumps replaced the factory pump also known as lift pump.
Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Year: 1988
Engine: 7.3 navistar
Re: bus wont start??? 88 international navistar

thanks for the advice, i pretty sure,its the glow plug relay. theres is a short in the wire. i got a guy from ford international coming to take a look at her after he gets off work. i will keep you posted on what it is for sure. thanks again.
littleangel47 is offline   Reply With Quote