Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: S-1800
Engine: NAVSTAR DT 466
Rated Cap: 49
Can I run dt466 with transmission out?

I’m replacing the at545, and need to tow my bus 5 miles to new home. I’m hoping to avoid wrecker fees. I’d like to have brakes and steering if I pull it. It’s only a few miles of very country Arkansas roads, most dirt.

Would running the engine for 30 minutes be a problem? Some pesky seal blow out?
Also, anyone know a reputable place to get a replacement tranny in AR?
I’m going to try to find one with lockup, as long as I can avoid adding electrics. We’re analog folk when possible, and the bus is a 1986.

Thanks in advance.

YankeeDespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Should be an issue. We ran engines on stands in school with no problem without a transmission
Old 07-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can run it.. but flat towing a bus is a rather Dangerous endeavor.. even a love tap of the tow vehicle is gonna do way more damage $$ than a tow truck $.

just dont rev the engine much.. it will want to rev high quickly without the weight of the torque converter but no it wont hurt it. id tape off any wires and blow out the trans cooler lines first otherwise as the bus tilts as you go down the road you may spill leftover fluid out of it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
I am going to assume it's air brakes then?

I'm with Chris, one tap... if it's that rural I'd prob use a tractor and do the low and slow crawl if I had to

what about a generator and an air compressor, air up the brakes that way? you don't really need the power steering at that low a speed would you? (I dunno)

I was wondering the same thing when I had my transmission swap about if they can run without transmission attached

also funny story is I also damn near swapped flywheels and **** by accident because I thought they were the same, and had to go with the transmissions I was swapping (a member here stopped me from making a very bad choice)

As for your transmission swap options it depends on what motor you have.
I had a 7.3 and if you read the transmission swap threads here an MT643 wasn't happening (the adapter ring) so I went and put in an electronic allison 2000

so a couple notes on your trans work. Well i will edit. I have a bad habit of ignoring the "member info" on the left under our monikers... this is just me, and I looked for the engine in your post

DT466 you can throw in an MT643 pretty easy and it will have lockup in 3-4

1. you can do it yourself easy. Chris did it alone, and I did it alone, and we are not but wee lads...
2. Read Cadillackids "Redbyrd Transformation", in entirety, FIRST! THEN read my thread "Transmission Options" AFTER... it's important to go in that order

Chris breaks down everything about it, how they work and is full of solid info. and also shows you how to R&R a large trans without dying.

My thread shows how followed Chris, but I cheated to get the Allison 2000 installed without touching a computer because I am a straight duffer with numbers and computers. And it also has pics and shows how you can R&R as a wee man without dying.

The one thing I learned was that whether it was an AT545 or a 2000 I now know that I can R&R one in a parking lot in a day with simple hand tools...

Cheers
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: S-1800
Engine: NAVSTAR DT 466
Rated Cap: 49
Thanks guys. I’m so grateful that y’all are so willing to share your abundant knowledge.
I am talking to tow truck guys, but don’t want to spend $300 for 20 minutes work.
If I tow, I’ll be using my ratty 2006 Dakota. It’s git a fairly new motor in it, and I’ve pulled the bus around the yard several times. It only needs to go 15mph. We’re thinking a Sunday morning at dawn, quick hit.

Rollsville, I also appreciate the advice and encouragement on the transmission swap. I really love my bus, and want to travel the country in it. Do do not want to make a full time job of bus repair. It is comforting to know that the tranny is a manageable job.
YankeeDespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
300 bucks for 20 minutes yep! That’s what it cost me when my at545 Grenaded 3 miles from home base lolol
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote