Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cat7 diesel

Hello Everyone - There's an opportunity to buy a 2005 Freightliner short school bus with a Cat C7 and Allison 2000 transmission. Not the van front style. Mileage is 63,000. From my research, the transmission seems good but its hard to get a balanced view on this engine. If you look it up on the web under "problems with", there area lot of negative opinions. From those on this site driving a bus conversion with this engine/drivetrain, what has your experience been? "Would you say don't buy it period"? Mileage is a big positive. Thank you!

Sorry, I posted in the wrong drive train category. Don't see a delete method?

Pine Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres definitely been opinions on the CAT-C7... from a guy I know who has a fleet of many Thomas;s with C7's in them he states the biggest thing is oerforming routine maintenance on oil, coolant, fikters, and the like, and making sure the engines are always warmed up... ie if you are the type to drive your bus on fairly long distances each time you drive your bus you will likely have better luck than if your bus just goes a few miles here and there..

I sometimes get a little suspect when a bus is sold with very low miles... ie are the miles correct? or was there something wrong with it that it got sold with low miles?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
That's less than 5000 miles a year why? has it been unreliable? has it been sitting logging shop time? C7 is not anymore problematic than any other smog diesel but my opinions on this subject are well known. My preference would be a non smog motor with 3 times the mileage
Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sap View Post
Hello Everyone - There's an opportunity to buy a 2005 Freightliner short school bus with a Cat C7 and Allison 2000 transmission. Not the van front style. Mileage is 63,000. From my research, the transmission seems good but its hard to get a balanced view on this engine. If you look it up on the web under "problems with", there area lot of negative opinions. From those on this site driving a bus conversion with this engine/drivetrain, what has your experience been? "Would you say don't buy it period"? Mileage is a big positive. Thank you!

Sorry, I posted in the wrong drive train category. Don't see a delete method?
You need to see a computer report...that's the best thing about the newer rigs...they come with a snitch box[emoji2]

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
You need to see a computer report...that's the best thing about the newer rigs...they come with a snitch box[emoji2]

THIS!!! Ive read out the computers of more than one skoolie to find that they had at one time been run out of oil or over-temped, or have 3X the miles and hours that the dashboard indicates..

me personally? I like electronic engines. but then im a geek that way.. and computers, sensors, wires, solenoids and such dont bother me...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
THIS!!! Ive read out the computers of more than one skoolie to find that they had at one time been run out of oil or over-temped, or have 3X the miles and hours that the dashboard indicates..

me personally? I like electronic engines. but then im a geek that way.. and computers, sensors, wires, solenoids and such dont bother me...

-Christopher
Yep...I see the value of the snitch boxes...plug-n-play beats guess-n-replace all day long

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Is it a remanufactured Cat? Caterpillar did that with the 3208's in skoolies, changed out engines for "fixed" ones. I heard early C7's had a problem with an aluminum spacer between the block and head. I assume that defect was fixed.

The miles on the dash might be miles on that engine.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for all your input. I have decided against this bus. Perhaps a bit to short and of course the usual uncertainty. I like how you all help to weight the pro's and con's and offer critical thinking.
Pine Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #9

Is this Engine strong enough to build as a skoolie would it have enough horsepower and torque
SummerStarr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerStarr84 View Post
Is this Engine strong enough to build as a skoolie would it have enough horsepower and torque

As with most bus engines they are offered in differant HP's Look on the data tag on the engine that you are looking at. Most range from 170 up to 210 or so.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote