Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 02:19 PM   #1

Code 623

Hi I been coming to this site always getting good information to help me fix up and travel cross country with it. I have a 2000 International 4700 with a dt444e made in 10/1999. I just had the Injector cups redone as I was having fuel in my coolant and a 2 injectors came out with the injectors. So after replacing them the truck ran beautiful but then the passenger side all the O rings went out and cause all my oil to go into my fuel tank. Was awhile before I caught where it was coming from. After fixing the o rings she ran better than I could even imagine even going uphill at 60/65 with a load with ease which never was going before when I would run freight cross country with it. Now whenever she runs on the highway for while the warn engine like comes on. I erased all codes by using the engine diag button ran the truck again until the warm engine came on and it flashed code 623 to me. When the light comes on the truck goes from 68 to 60. Doesn’t overheat doesn’t smoke doesn’t leak oil and the oil is still full and clean (cleanish as when diesel oil hit it gets tar black after running). Starts right up every time and soars with ease u til the light comes. I’m at a stump of what it could be. Any help would honestly be greater appreciated

WJSHt444e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Use the search here for EGES 125-1. You will find it in several threads for download. See section 3.5 page 232 for code 623. It seems there is a problem with the ecm-vpm communication. The only thing I can suggest is recheck all of your harnesses for proper connections. I recently had several issues with my t444 and the solution was a bad connection due to moisture. I hope its that easy but reality is, it may need ecm/reprogramming.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:25 PM   #3

Is ecm programming difficult or costly?

Thank u in advance
Old 05-17-2024, 04:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Use the search here for EGES 125-1. You will find it in several threads for download. See section 3.5 page 232 for code 623. It seems there is a problem with the ecm-vpm communication. The only thing I can suggest is recheck all of your harnesses for proper connections. I recently had several issues with my t444 and the solution was a bad connection due to moisture. I hope its that easy but reality is, it may need ecm/reprogramming.

thos is a single Box ECM (should be a large computer on the side of the passenger side valve cover) assuming the year is correct.. the VPM is part of the same physical box.. theres no harness between the 2 that is serviceable. whenever I see these types of codes its either a failing computer or one of the grounds is wierd causing unreliable power to the computer..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSHt444e View Post
Is ecm programming difficult or costly?

Thank u in advance
I don't have any experience with that. Follow this current thread https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t...-new-post.html for a better understanding of cost and process.

cadillackid is correct on the ecm setup. The grounding was what I thought may be an issue due to the prior work done. Its cheap to wiggle some wires and check for good connections.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

some places that sell ECMs will sell them to you programmed for your VIN. otherwise the IH dealer has to do it.. or someone who has a subscription to NAVKAL from navistar and the nexiq device..
Old 05-17-2024, 09:19 PM   #7

Thank you for the responses and help. I went to the computer on the passenger side and was able to wiggle the wires a little bit that when into the computer through the 2 connectors but on the bottom more than the top. Is there a way to test if it is the computer per say or should I follow wires to see if the harness has a stripped wire? Iíve attached a dirty picture of the computer as well
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6509.jpg  
Old 05-17-2024, 09:32 PM   #8

Also if I was to buy another engine wire harness how would I know which kind to buy or would I just need to send my vin number to the companies and wait for them to tell me what kind?
Old 05-18-2024, 01:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSHt444e View Post
Thank you for the responses and help. I went to the computer on the passenger side and was able to wiggle the wires a little bit that when into the computer through the 2 connectors but on the bottom more than the top. Is there a way to test if it is the computer per say or should I follow wires to see if the harness has a stripped wire? I’ve attached a dirty picture of the computer as well
I had an issue recently with my bus (dt466e) where the TCM was doing a reset.
I got real lucky in finding the cause and I share this with you so you can check yours and confirm all is good.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/m...ght-43378.html

The power wire to the TCM coming from the battery has an inline fuse holder that was just worn out. While driving, current flow was overheating the fuse holder wire and causing power fluctuation to the TCM causing it to reset.
I got lucky because it was obvious as the wire was discoloring due to the heat.
I replaced the fuse holder and all is well.

Your ECM also has a power wire with a fuse coming from the battery!

You might want to check yours, its easy to do and honestly could be easily overlooked, especially if your focused solely on the trouble code itself.

Also, identify all your grounds and go the extra step of unhooking them and cleaning them up real good. Don't just do a visual and say its good without disconnecting and cleaning!

Who knows, you might get lucky like I did!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:47 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
I had an issue recently with my bus (dt466e) where the TCM was doing a reset.
I got real lucky in finding the cause and I share this with you so you can check yours and confirm all is good.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/m...ght-43378.html

The power wire to the TCM coming from the battery has an inline fuse holder that was just worn out. While driving, current flow was overheating the fuse holder wire and causing power fluctuation to the TCM causing it to reset.
I got lucky because it was obvious as the wire was discoloring due to the heat.
I replaced the fuse holder and all is well.

Your ECM also has a power wire with a fuse coming from the battery!

You might want to check yours, its easy to do and honestly could be easily overlooked, especially if your focused solely on the trouble code itself.

Also, identify all your grounds and go the extra step of unhooking them and cleaning them up real good. Don't just do a visual and say its good without disconnecting and cleaning!

Who knows, you might get lucky like I did!

THIS!!!

on my T444E IH, the ECM is powered by separate wires coming from the batteries including the ground. the connectors where the ECM plugs in are not usually the issue.. although its possible a loose connection there would cause the high voltage DC to short out and ruin the IDM (the IDM is internal to the computer)... but I dont see that...

grounds go to accessory brackets, on mine there is also a big ground on the engine block..

if you suspect the connectors at the ECM itself or want to inspect them, they are screwed down to the ECM.. the black handles are not supposed to be honked down tight, they get snugged down and should be easily loosed by a 1/4" ratchet and pop off.. I generally completely disconnect my batteries Negative cables before I pull those connectors off.. its normal for there to be some dialectric grease in the pins.. thats to help prevent corrosion..