Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2023, 08:14 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Chassis: 30ft International FE | Gear Ratio 4.63
Engine: INTL DT466 HT 215HP/2400 GOV
Rated Cap: GVWR: 34220
Coolant change

Hey everyone! I have a few questions with finishing my Skoolie coolant flush and change.

How did you all account for all the water in the lines and heater with your coolant mixture? If I did a 60/40 mix I feel like it would end around 30/70 once all the water in the heaters/lines mixes with it. I’m thinking of doing about an 80/20 mix with the peak final charge global concentrate to account for it, but again that is just a guess.

nconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Well, I typically remove all the hoses I can when doing the final flush, and flush all the heaters separate from the engine/radiator. That way you know it's all flushed and cleaned well. Doing it that way a lot of the water drains out by itself when the hoses are removed. I'll also pull block plugs to drain as much water out of it, as the engine and the radiator are the primary possessors of coolant capacity. So long as you ensure those 2 are empty, the residuals are usually taken care of by the 60/40 coolant/water bias.

If I'm really worried, I'll use an air nozzle to blow out heater cores and hoses, but I wouldn't recommend you doing that because 100+ psi of air pressure not feathered correctly can blow hoses, heater cores, etc. So just don't do it. Maybe you can try and use a shopvac to suck the water out of the loop instead?

IMO, so long as the hoses are all pulled and gravity drained, and the block+radiator are also drained, a 60/40 mix will put you close enough to where you need to be. If you don't get all the water out that you can, go heavier on the mix. It's just a gut call really.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I'm pretty sure they make "test strips" for coolant mixtures.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Sure do. A whole variety of them actually. Some test solely for freeze point, some test for ph, some test for additive package strength, some test for 2 or all 3.

We use test strips a lot in the shop.

Some of those are coolant type and additive type specific, so ask your coolant manufacturer for the correct ones.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: Blue Bird Vision
Engine: 6.7 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I used a coolant tester. They are cheap.
Banjo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote