Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Coolant recommendations for DT466

Hey knowledgeable folks...I need some advice.

What coolant do you recommend for wet sleeve engines? I have been doing some research and it seems like it is more complicated than other engines due to the cavitation worries. This is the first diesel engine I have owned or worked on, so I do not have the benefit of experience.

It's a 1993 mechanical DT466. The coolant currently in it is green and it has a Fleetguard coolant filter which I understand comes precharged with the right SCAs, and you are supposed to be able to leave the coolant system alone. But of course I did not leave it alone, and lost a bunch of coolant when removing the rear heater, hoses and the drivers side front heater in order to work on the floor. Some or all of this stuff is going back in. The block is appropriately full as far as I can tell, but the heater system is completely empty.

So...what can I add to the system? Can I use regular green silicate based antifreeze? I can get some pink stuff locally with the DCA-2 additives premixed in, but DCA-4 (which I believe is what my coolant filter is) is harder to come by. Based on its appearance I suspect the school district used regular green in conjunction with the precharged filter, but I don't know for sure. I want to top it off now so that I can start the bus, let the engine get some exercise, and use the front heaters to warm and dry out the front part of the bus for work. Maybe drive it a little in this condition, but no long trips. Then once the heater system is completely done I was going to do a complete drain, flush and refill, though I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

TheLovelyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
From what I've read, the older International engines (pre 1999) used the standard green coolant that required periodic addition of SCA anti-cavitation stuff.

I replaced mine with Walmart Supertech antifreeze but regardless, look for a coolant that meets the ASTM D4985 standard.

The newer International engines use an extended life red coolant that doesn't require the SCA additives. Not sure whether you could replace the green with the red, maybe one of the "real" bus guys can chime in here.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
go to napa truck parts store. they sell the bottles of additive. you also need to check and correct PH
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Cavitation is more common on wet liners but can be a problem on parent sleeve engines as well. Best bet is to refer to the manufacturer for specs. Everything else is hearsay and there are TONS of very opinionated views on this topic online. I'm definitely going with the Cummins recommendation for my engine.

Is it a little more expensive?...ya...but so is the engine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
I'd use the regular green. Use test strips to verify ph balance, freeze point and sca level. Those should all be able to be had at most truck shops(I get ours from napa, but your counterman might not be aware that they have it). Once you do that, check the levels to see if you even need to add anything.

Napa kool is the sca charge that I use with the regular green. I believe it is dca2. We have no problems with it.

*I don't add anything to any extended life coolant unless specifically stated by the manufacturer(most don't). Those coolants are made more to be a set and forget type. The only action you're supposed to take with them is change them out at the correct interval or when the ph gets out of whack.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Thanks everyone for the advice!
TheLovelyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran/Gensis
Rated Cap: 72
How bad is it that I added 2 gallons of pinkish coolant (Heavy Truck branded - Fleet?) from O'Reily's to what seemed like an almost empty system, which did have green coolant? I've read the above thread, and wondering if I now need to flush the system and start over. Long story short, a ton of the coolant, if not all (which was green) leaked out when I replaced my compressor several days ago I purchased what I thought was the correct coolant to refill what I lost. It turned out to be more than I thought that escaped my plugged hoses. As I was headed to get desiel really quickly, it overheated. I was in a pinch and had to pull over. I filled it with what I had.

Thoughts on my goof?
jontettleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontettleton View Post
How bad is it that I added 2 gallons of pinkish coolant (Heavy Truck branded - Fleet?) from O'Reily's to what seemed like an almost empty system, which did have green coolant? I've read the above thread, and wondering if I now need to flush the system and start over. Long story short, a ton of the coolant, if not all (which was green) leaked out when I replaced my compressor several days ago I purchased what I thought was the correct coolant to refill what I lost. It turned out to be more than I thought that escaped my plugged hoses. As I was headed to get desiel really quickly, it overheated. I was in a pinch and had to pull over. I filled it with what I had.

Thoughts on my goof?
sometimes you do what you have to do in a pinch.
Flush it and fill it with the correct fluid.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Unless, everything that you added says compatible with all makes and models, I'd do a complete flush and fill. Then again, I'd still probably do a complete flush and fill because coolant incompatibility is something you don't want to experience first hand.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 84
The biggest worry is some mixes will cause a reaction where the coolant turns to a corrosive gel that causes all sorts of problems. Full flush would be a good idea.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I havent had much luck in finding the additives or the test kit... perhaps im using the wrong terms when I ask?

I pick up my bus soon and have 1100 mile trip in it so I want to make sure my coolant is good before I embark on the journey..

are there coirrect terms I should be asking for? I thought a truck stop would know but they didnt hear of what i was asking for..

Eastcoast: where did you get yours since im in florida I could get it the same place..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Mine was brand newish when I got my bus, and I've left it alone.
I plan on doing a flush and fill probably at the end of summer. I'll just buy the cheapest appropriate coolant at Rural King.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Mine was brand newish when I got my bus, and I've left it alone.
I plan on doing a flush and fill probably at the end of summer. I'll just buy the cheapest appropriate coolant at Rural King.

you dont put the additives in it? or is there coolant available that contains the needed additives for wet sleevers?

I have no idea how old my coolant is.. I opened it up and looked and it and said "yep its pretty green and no swirlies.." and that was it... never thought about its age or any additives..

in the 80s cadillac made wet-sleeve engines and sold an additive tablet you had to add to those when you changed the coolant..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you dont put the additives in it? or is there coolant available that contains the needed additives for wet sleevers?

I have no idea how old my coolant is.. I opened it up and looked and it and said "yep its pretty green and no swirlies.." and that was it... never thought about its age or any additives..

in the 80s cadillac made wet-sleeve engines and sold an additive tablet you had to add to those when you changed the coolant..

-Christopher
IDK, but I've got a factory service manual. Will go from there.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Definitely want to check the factory recs for coolant. Especially on wet sleeve engines. They require anti-cavitation properties to avoid scorching things.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 42
I have a 1999 DT466E. I got the test strip, checked my green antifreeze, and got a 2.0 DCA number, which is in the middle of the working range. However, my water filter is kind of rusty on the outside and I would like to change it. Would I be best to replace it with one like it which adds 4 points SCA? I am trying to figure out if that would bring the whole mix up too much.
siloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Has any one tried or know much about the Evans waterless coolant??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Don't the DT466s have coolant filters? All of the Diesel engine coolant filters I've seen are pre-charged with slow release SCA packets. If you keep up with the filter change recommendations you should always have a proper amount of the SCAs, or so I understand..
Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 42
You can get the filters with or w/o the DCA additive, but most seem to have 4 units, which I understand would raise 4 gallons one point.
siloguy is offline   Reply With Quote