Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
more often than not the IDM or VPM go bad.. a VPM failure wont cause a no start. a bad IDM will cause a no start, so if the comms to the IDM from ECM are down that can cause a no start, or if the IDM is missing its mains 12 vot voltage that can cause a no start.. you know the ECM is booting up because you can get the flash codes from it, so its getting power the way it should and chances are is good to go..

there is an IDM relay, I would want to make sure my IDM has power on the pins it is supposed to.. I'll need to look in the book to see if I have the pinouts for it..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466E Diesel
Thanks Chris!

This is kind of where I’m at with the reasoning, obviously I could spend more time going through the wires underneath the bus. My local guy said my best bet is to plug into the bus computer and use a real computer to check the IDM and see what’s working, but without the hookup and the computer or software to do so I’m left to calling International and Possibky having it towed in, god knows how much that will cost.
BabztheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #23

Can you jump starter with screwdriver?
Wheeezil! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I was going to attach the hard start/no start diag sheet for the 3-box t444 and also the engine circuit diagram but the file size is bigger than this forum will allow. If you PM me your email address I can send them to you. Also, the software (servicemaxx 170 is free - just google “download servicemaxx 1708” any you’ll find the download from a Navistar/snapon site. The cable to connect with is definitely not free, but it’s not that expensive as communication cables go. you’ll want to look on amazon/eBay/alibaba for the “nexiq usb link”. If you search those websites, you can find a cheap Chinese knockoff that’s labeled as a Nexiq cable even though it’s not really an official nexiq cable. It will still work with the servicemaxx software. The ebay/amazon/alibaba price is going to be in the $150 range.
More Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466E Diesel
Hey everybody,

Been a crazy week here, but finally figured out what was with the no start. The ECM was getting power but the IDM wasn’t getting enough juice to crank the injectors. Had a bus guy come take a look and we found a short in 2 different pins at the IDM. Hooked up some new wires and she fired right up! I suggest anyone who gets a bus like a 444e or any electronic model to invest in a voltmeter/multimeter and that screwdriver that shows you if it’s getting power. That way you won’t get stranded!

Now onto patching up the back wall and floor panels. Hopefully I can get this, new lights in, and a decent paint job before winter hits in Minnesota!
BabztheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: t444E
Rated Cap: 210HP 28,000 GVRW
Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow-up and solution. For confirmation a single 950 cold cranking amp battery should be sufficient to crank and run the t444e engine?

I do realize that compression matters before in thos single battery scenario. Before I had my 7.3 rebuilt it would crank and run easily with low compression on some cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabztheBus View Post
Hey everybody,

Been a crazy week here, but finally figured out what was with the no start. The ECM was getting power but the IDM wasn’t getting enough juice to crank the injectors. Had a bus guy come take a look and we found a short in 2 different pins at the IDM. Hooked up some new wires and she fired right up! I suggest anyone who gets a bus like a 444e or any electronic model to invest in a voltmeter/multimeter and that screwdriver that shows you if it’s getting power. That way you won’t get stranded!

Now onto patching up the back wall and floor panels. Hopefully I can get this, new lights in, and a decent paint job before winter hits in Minnesota!
godisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by godisgood View Post
Thanks for the follow-up and solution. For confirmation a single 950 cold cranking amp battery should be sufficient to crank and run the t444e engine?

I do realize that compression matters before in thos single battery scenario. Before I had my 7.3 rebuilt it would crank and run easily with low compression on some cylinders.
There's more to it then just that.

A new 950cca battery might do just fine if it's 80 degrees out and you have a relatively healthy engine and starting system.

If it's 0°F out, you have a couple bad glow plugs, your battery cable is corroded, the starter solenoid is worn, and your single battery is 5 years old, there's a slim chance you're going to get it started.