Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2023, 02:12 PM   #1

Cruise/Trottle doesnt activate - CE300 - 2011

Hi all,
we drive a IC Bus CE300 from 2011 and are pretty happy with it. DT466 and Allison transmission. VIA 4DRBUAAP8BB291588. Only thing is cruise control does not work.

I can activate it via the left switch at the steering wheel, and the display shows "Cruise/Throttle", there is no error code. I can press decel or accel, and I can see via a BlueFire adapter that it registers in the engine computer (no wiring problem). However, it does not activate cruise control.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something here? It was like that since we got it a year ago. We removed some cables running (inside) to the back of the bus, but I dont think thats related.

Also, it would be nice to have a electrical schematics, does anybody have those?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
2023-11-24 12.42.44.jpg   2023-11-24 12.44.13.jpg  

Daniel CE300-DT466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres 2 things..

the main one being that those switches are dual switches but most school busses are shipped with the cruise function disabled.. so that they activate as throttle speed control only.. on the newer busses this requires the transmission in neutral and oark brake applied.. then the throttle can set the high idle for warm up...

busses have 2 brake switches on both hydraulic and air brake.. the ECM will set a code if either brake switch is erratic.. ie they dont match each other.. and this disables throttle and cruise functions (though the lights come on when you turn it to enable.. and the J1939 data shows cruise enable)..

your bluefire shoud be able to read for any error codes... but you'll need a nexiq or clone and the "god mode" servicemaxx or an IH dealer to enable the cruise function if its not enabled. the free servicemaxx only works for pre maxxforce engines..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Everything CK said is correct.

Our buses just come with a one touch high RPM switch but likely a Northern region thing. Idles to 1200 RPM with one touch.

I don't see any ABS lights on the dash but check for codes. I believe if ABS or Traction control is not working it may disable the cruise control.

We have cruise enabled in all our buses but we only deliver kids in the suburbs, maybe used on field trips out of town.

Side note, if buying a bus from a school division always ask to enable cruise and take the speed limiter off. Most if not all has this access. We just found a number of buses opened up to 99MPH. Have to go through 100+ buses now and check them all over.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
Everything CK said is correct.

Our buses just come with a one touch high RPM switch but likely a Northern region thing. Idles to 1200 RPM with one touch.

I don't see any ABS lights on the dash but check for codes. I believe if ABS or Traction control is not working it may disable the cruise control.

We have cruise enabled in all our buses but we only deliver kids in the suburbs, maybe used on field trips out of town.

Side note, if buying a bus from a school division always ask to enable cruise and take the speed limiter off. Most if not all has this access. We just found a number of buses opened up to 99MPH. Have to go through 100+ buses now and check them all over.

I remember seeing that in the software for the navistar ECM-II.. busses that were 04+ had an option for a preset high idle vs the variable speed of the cruise buttons.. I think the later cummins only had the one option..

part of dealer prep was turning on the requested Spec's for a customer.. so say omni district wants cruise on and no speed limiter and performance mode by default on the allison's and a set service interval for the change oil light.. the dealer would dump the info into each bus computer as they prepped the busses.. often installing the requested lettering and accesories like no child left behind, cameras. and the like..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote