Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Talking Current Orion vehicle coverage.

Howdy, all!

Just want to give an update on where things are at with Orion and what applications we have coverage for.

To start with, we have just added coverage to modify the VPM for the 1994 to 1997 model year 3000 and 4000 series vehicles with the T444e and DT466 engines. This allows the user to read and clear DTCs as well as modify Vehicle Parameters such as Speed Limit, Idle Shut Down, Tire Size, Cruise Control, High Idle Setpoints, and many others. These vehicles will use a specialized version of the Orion software, but the same OBD hardware as the later vehicles.

Next, we have our standard Orion package with coverage for the 1998 to 2003 model year 3000 and 4000 series vehicles with the T444e, DT466, and DT530 engines. We offer a full version that reflashes the ECM with a modified calibration and allows a choice of 7 different power levels. This also will allow for the modification of Vehicle Parameters.

Moving on, we have our standard Orion package with coverage for the 2004 to 2007 model year 3000 and 4000 series vehicles with the VT365, DT466, DT530, and DT570 engines. Again, this comes with a full version that reflashes the ECM with a modified calibration and allows a choice of 7 different power levels. These applications also include a separate IDM (Injector Driver Module) which can also be programmed to help imrove throttle response as well as fuel economy. This package will also allow for the modification of Vehicle Parameters.

The standard Orion package also allows for modification of the ECM, IDM, and Parameters for the VT275 (V6) engines in the LCF model trucks through 2007. These aren't quite as popular, but the tuning works really well in these applications.

And finally, we are now able to offer a "Lite" version of Orion. This allows for the the diagnostic functions and the ability to modify the vehicle Parameters, but doesn't have any programming functionality. This is for folks who just need to be able to read and clear DTCs, change the speed limit, or modify any other restrictive parameters, and don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

A lot of people have been asking, and we just want to inform everyone that we are currently working to get the datalogging feature up and running, and that will all be available in future updates of the software at no additional charge. It's taken a bit longer than we'd anticipated as we've simultaneously been working to get the VPM version running as well.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to message me or you can contact us directly at http://gopowerhungry.com and we can get you up to speed on what's available for your application.

I hope everyone is doing well, avoiding Covid, and enjoying life. Be safe and God bless.

Power Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
'02 dt466E

Are there any plans to develop an application for the DT466E's?
Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post

im pretty sure it works on the 466E, he tuned his bus i think to 400+ Horsepower
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
Navistar doesn't really differentiate between different models of DT466. While the electronic injected 466 would technically be an "E", they still just called it the DT466. There is no "E" designation in their DT line of engines. I just call it what they call it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vistar_engines

So to answer your question, we cover 1994 through 2007 HEUI injected DT466 applications.

We do NOT cover any MaxxForce applications, including the MaxxForce DT which is the full emissions version of the DT466. This uses a different computer system. Also, we obviously do not provide any tuning for the mechanically injected IDI versions of these engines.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Navistar doesn't really differentiate between different models of DT466. While the electronic injected 466 would technically be an "E", they still just called it the DT466. There is no "E" designation in their DT line of engines. I just call it what they call it.

So to answer your question, we cover 1994 through 2007 HEUI injected DT466 applications.

We do NOT cover any MaxxForce applications, including the MaxxForce DT which is the full emissions version of the DT466. This uses a different computer system. Also, we obviously do not provide any tuning for the mechanically injected IDI versions of these engines.

I hope this is helpful.

Put on an Orion and you'll have "fun! fun! fun!"....'and your daddy cant take bluebird away!'
Old 06-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Put on an Orion and you'll have "fun! fun! fun!"....'and your daddy cant take bluebird away!'

It seems pretty affordable for what it does. I wish there was something similar for cummins. I'm starting to dive into Insite and CALs, but would highly prefer the Orion solution for my time and money.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
It seems pretty affordable for what it does. I wish there was something similar for cummins. I'm starting to dive into Insite and CALs, but would highly prefer the Orion solution for my time and money.

plus the orion allows you to change *ALL* parameters in the ECM like the god-mode servicemaxx.. for those doing transmission swaps that means changing the dealer-only trans type parameters and throttle type if desired.. as well as things like tire size, remove speed limiters etc..
Old 10-06-2023, 11:09 PM   #8

Dt466e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post

I hope this is helpful.
Hello, you showed wikipedia as a source for info on International DT466E, you claimed that International does not have a designated DT466E, as a teck for International and have seen a number of the DT series engines, there is a designated DT466E, mind you with that said it is the same block and head as the DT466, as for the Maxxforce mistake, it too is based design on the DT plate form but they added emissions and made a big mess of it, this is only my opionon.
difles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:15 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
@Power Hungry
I have a 1995 3 box system and my vpm is completely dead. If I were to buy a vpm box off of eBay, could I use your software to program the new VPM? Add my VIN, etc. Or is it a must to already have the VPM in good shape with correct info first?
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:41 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by difles View Post
Hello, you showed wikipedia as a source for info on International DT466E, you claimed that International does not have a designated DT466E, as a teck for International and have seen a number of the DT series engines, there is a designated DT466E, mind you with that said it is the same block and head as the DT466, as for the Maxxforce mistake, it too is based design on the DT plate form but they added emissions and made a big mess of it, this is only my opionon.

Later on IH went back to calling it a standard DT466.. the DT466E designation that you see on the emblem of the trucks started when they were making both.. 466E's were seen in 1995 (supposedly late 94).. yet the mechanical NGD 466 was being used in Amtran branded school busses up through the 98 model year and as a special order item in a 4700 truck.. thus you saw the emblem labels denoting the E or not..

once the EGR models came out the trucks were changing to the new body style.. away from the "4700/4900" nameplates and you saw the 4300/4600, etc in the newer body style.. the nameplates on these were simply DT466.. of course it was an E essentially because all of them were at that point. they ran that nameplate until the platform changed to the first Gen Maxxforce DT.. at which the labelling on the trucks changed to relfect Maxxforce DT (typically the V8 version of the Maxxforce just had Maxxforce on its label, leaving off the DT)...

in the standard trucks and busses there were pretty much only 2 engines available in those 4200/4300 series during the 04- early 07 which was the VT365 and DT466 (E). bigger trucks had other engines available..

the first gen Maxxforce DT late 07-09 really had the same block and internals as the 04 - early 07 DT466.. the addition of the DPF, and from what I understand running the EGR heavier is what lead to many of its failures... we wont even go into the abomination that the 10+ Maxxforce DT was.... and its V8 counterport the Maxxcforce 7 like to break up pistons and eat turbos like I eat reeses cups..
Old 10-09-2023, 08:34 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Covering everything in one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
...and its V8 counterport the Maxxcforce 7 like to break up pistons and eat turbos like I eat reeses cups.
Chris, you're killing me! I'm now wiping coffee off my monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
I have a 1995 3 box system and my vpm is completely dead. If I were to buy a vpm box off of eBay, could I use your software to program the new VPM? Add my VIN, etc. Or is it a must to already have the VPM in good shape with correct info first?
Any VPM should work. However, there may be many "as-built" parameters that won't match your vehicle. If going with a used VPM, it is best to have International update it with the correct information. We can also do this on the bench if you'd like to send it in to us. We charge $75.00 to restore a VPM. If you send us the original VPM as well, we can possibly recover the parameters from it and apply them to the new VPM. Once recovered, we can keep a file handy with all the parameters for your vehicle.

One thing I will recommend is that you try to find a VPM from a vehicle that is as close as possible to your setup. This will help increase the liklihood that the VPM will plug in and at least allow the vehicle to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by difles View Post
At the end of the day, it's all semantics and marketing/branding, with the only major difference being the switch from DT to MaxxForce, as this changed dominant communications protocols from 1708/1587 to CAN.

Adding the E or not, differences in DT vs HT, and other conventions really don't make any difference to our software. If you have a 1994 to 2006 electronic injected vehicle, we should be able to support it.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2023, 07:23 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Hey Bill! I have a question regarding a prototype system you were kind enough to send out to those of us lucky enough to be paying attention a few years ago. Mine was set up to run my 1999 International 3800 with the T444E. This engine is getting tired unfortunately with 290k miles and more than 19k hours.

So I got another bus, also a 1999 international with the T444E. This one has a barely broke in Reviva engine in it with 30k miles. It runs great, no issues there. Will the system I got from you work on this other bus? This newer to me bus runs great and I think it’s parameters must have been tinkered with based on how much power it feels like it has but I’d like to be able to monitor stuff and perhaps play with settings, etc.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #13
Commercial Member

The hardware and everything will work just fine for datalogging and whatnot. Just keep in mind that the calibrations are specific to the ECM, so if you're running the ECM for the new engine, any calibrations you received for the other engine will not be usable.

Other than that, you should be good to go!

Tags
navistar, orion, performance, programmer, tuning