Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Custom - length driveshaft

Hi folks,
New guy around here. I'm stretching the frame on my 1985 Int'l 1954 to fit a utility body, and I've run into a problem I didn't foresee. I had a one-piece driveshaft when I started, and now I understand I have to have a 2-piece, with a carrier bearing. My overall length needed is 82"; I stretched my frame 18". When I started this project, my driveshaft guy suggested it would not be a big deal to lengthen my driveshaft. He didn't mention, and I didn't think to ask about max length. Those guys want to charge me about $1500 to fabricate a new shaft. That includes a bearing and everything. I wanted to ping you guys in here, because I'm wondering about shortening an existing shaft, rather than lengthening mine (insert joke here), and my mind went right to school busses. So, anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts, and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

ster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
$1500 would be for all new everything, even that seems high. I had to get a new driveshaft(s) when I swapped in the late model drivetrain in the motorhome. I just went to junkyard and got a dodge truck one. Had to remount the center part which was different location.
If you can find one that is close, you should be able to use the middle section, and have them fab up the ends using your existing shaft ends.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
$1500 would be for all new everything, even that seems high. I had to get a new driveshaft(s) when I swapped in the late model drivetrain in the motorhome. I just went to junkyard and got a dodge truck one. Had to remount the center part which was different location.
If you can find one that is close, you should be able to use the middle section, and have them fab up the ends using your existing shaft ends.
You're saying just find a DS that has the right pipe diameter? I think mine's about 5", I'll have to measure. Then all they have to do is cut it to length, and put my ends on the new one? That makes sense to me. There's a junkyard about 2 hours away that might have one.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Try Tom Woods if go go for an all new custom driveshaft. I always have been satisfied with their products.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Try Tom Woods if go go for an all new custom driveshaft. I always have been satisfied with their products.
Thanks for the tip! I checked with them and they don’t do 2-piece shafts.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Funny late-breaking story:

There is another driveline shop in town, so I called them. They told me it would be about $750. I then called the first shop and he said if we used my existing tube, he could do it for $650. So, a couple feet of 5” tube costs $350? Nah I doubt it. In any case, at 650, I’m not going to screw around; I’ll just have him do it. They originally said it would be 300/400, and 650 is not too much more. So anyway thanks all!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
Skoolie

In my area, $1500 for a complete system is a deal. A 2 piece should be balanced together. Reputable drive line shops will have the capacity to balance and balance multi-piece systems together. Meaning their balancing lathe will be software controlled. They will then place a mark on the multiple pieces to be lined up with each other when installed to make a very strong and harmonic free drive line system.
Personally, I would rather have the drive line done right and save money on other components. The high speed rotating assembly of a multi-piece drive train can/will have catastrophic consequence on connecting components if it is not balanced well and in proper phase.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post

Yes me too.

Although now I make my own.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
In my area, $1500 for a complete system is a deal. A 2 piece should be balanced together. Reputable drive line shops will have the capacity to balance and balance multi-piece systems together. Meaning their balancing lathe will be software controlled. They will then place a mark on the multiple pieces to be lined up with each other when installed to make a very strong and harmonic free drive line system.
Personally, I would rather have the drive line done right and save money on other components. The high speed rotating assembly of a multi-piece drive train can/will have catastrophic consequence on connecting components if it is not balanced well and in proper phase.
yes balance is required for all drive lines however centramax makes a bolt on balancer
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote