Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
D466e fuel filter housing details?

Hello,
I am looking to find out what some ports are on the FUEL filter base.

What is the port for under the flanged head plastic cap??

What is the schrader tire valve for??

There is a grey line from the tank connected to the far side into the primer pump. There is another black line from the tank going toward the engine but I have not yet found where it goes or comes from. Is it a fuel return to tank or something else??

Thanks in advance

When changing that fuel filter, how much primer pumps are required??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210925_112043.jpg  

DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
To help answer some of your questions:

The schrader valve is useful to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you're getting enough fuel pressure supplied to the injectors.
The black fuel line coming from the tank is likely the return line. It will connect to the fuel pressure regulator on the rear/driver's side of the engine.
And when changing the fuel filter it shouldn't require too many pumps of the primer if you pre-fill the filter with fuel. If you don't pre-fill the filter it will take quite a few pumps of the primer. Another option is to disconnect the wiring harness to your valve cover that controls the fuel injectors. You can crank the engine and use that to pull fuel from the tank and purge the air from your fuel system. Then just simply plug your injector harness back in and it should start right up. Whatever you do you do not want to "dry fire" the fuel injectors. It can do quite a bit of damage to them without any fuel present.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Is that "valve cover wiring plug" you mention to the injectors above the wiring connector above the fuel filter??
Old 09-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
Skoolie

It's a giant wiring harness passing through a grommet on the driver's side of the valve cover, you can't miss it. You can disconnect it from the outside, no need to remove the valve cover.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Hello,
I am looking to find out what some ports are on the FUEL filter base.

What is the port for under the flanged head plastic cap??
Checking fuel pressure. It's a quick connect type fitting.

Quote:
What is the schrader tire valve for??
Bleeding air after filter change.

Quote:
There is a grey line from the tank connected to the far side into the primer pump. There is another black line from the tank going toward the engine but I have not yet found where it goes or comes from. Is it a fuel return to tank or something else??
Most likely a fuel return. It will connect to a spot on the cylinder head.

Quote:
Thanks in advance

All of them. Pump until you have fuel coming from the depressed schrader valve. Release schrader valve and then pump an additional dozen or so more times, or until the pump gets hard.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Okay, thanks
With filter off and fresh red fuel in the tank I primer pumped until I got red fuel at filter base.
I filled filter with fresh fuel with a cork in the filtered fuel outlet.
After tilting filter into postion, removed cork and installed filter.
Then removed schrader valve and primer pumped until red fuel flowed out.
In good squirts coming out about an inch at each pump.
With everything reconnected I pumped some more, pumping effort increased some but does not get hard, can still pump away with only one finger on it. But, after drawing fuel up to and out of the schrader, fuel seeps out from under the primer cap if you keep pumping.

The old two/three year old fuel looked like tea or coca cola.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Some engines the pumping effort might never get hard. A dozen more pumps after the filter is full would be plenty. Reason I mentioned hard is I didn't want you to feel obligated to get to 12 pumps. 12 pumps isn't a steadfast rule, doesn't mean 11 or 13 will cause issues, just means pump enough to get fuel up the hose to the lift pump. When that happens, some engines the pumper will get hard.

If primer cap/pumper is leaking fuel, it needs rebuilt/replaced. They're a big source of air intrusion on these engines, causing extended cranks before firing.

Fuel will turn dark with age. I'm surprised it's that dark w/ only 2-3 years on it, but whatever, it is what it is. Flush the tank/system, refill with fresh fuel, and I'd recommend you add and additive with an algaecide too.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Bus Nut

The fuel did have diesel kleen silver jug in it.
I drained and dropped the tank and will be cleaning it out as I did not like the slime I could see thru the fill cap nor the light rust on the upper half. The tank had 20 gallons in it that I drained.
I made no effort to start it. I did not want to try starting it on the old fuel, no point in filling the lines with tank junk.
I take it the transfer pump is downstream of filter on the upper side/corner of high pressure oil pump?
If I loosen lines at engine, will primer be able to push fuel thru transfer pump and fuel out of loosened line(s) going into engine?
Are those line nuts right hand thread?
Sometimes those notches on the hex mean left hand threads.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210930_111233.jpg  
Old 09-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Looking at lift pumps....
It looks like some of the right angle outlet pumps (new style?) Have a primer pump on the inlet.
My existing straight thru version has a hex head plugged port in the same spot as the lift pump with primer.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

A lot, and then some more. I pumped mine about 200 times, nothing. Hired a mechanic to look at it, he pumped it a couple 100 more times before it finally fired up.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
Bus Nut

LOL, I too did 200 pumps, it acted like I was going to fast for awhile so I slowed down and gained some resistance when pumping.
But then I noticed fuel seeping out from under the plunger cap..
So I guit, maybe it too needs another 100.
I went and ordered a new pump to screw into the old base from evilzon $10.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
The fuel did have diesel kleen silver jug in it.
I drained and dropped the tank and will be cleaning it out as I did not like the slime I could see thru the fill cap nor the light rust on the upper half. The tank had 20 gallons in it that I drained.
I made no effort to start it. I did not want to try starting it on the old fuel, no point in filling the lines with tank junk.

Silver jug isn't algaecide, just an additive. Dieselkleen offers an algaecide, in a white jug, as well as a tank cleaner in a white jug too. Email them and see what they suggest you use.

Good call on not starting it. It's hell to flush the engine fuel system of crap.

Quote:
I take it the transfer pump is downstream of filter on the upper side/corner of high pressure oil pump?
Yes, you've got it picture there.

Quote:
If I loosen lines at engine, will primer be able to push fuel thru transfer pump and fuel out of loosened line(s) going into engine?
Are those line nuts right hand thread?
Sometimes those notches on the hex mean left hand threads.
Don't loosen the lines. Don't touch the lines even. Loosening could disrupt the seal in there and cause you more headaches. No need to loosen, it will push the air past the pump. The lift pump just doesn't pump air very well, so you need to purge as much of it as you can too the pump, and that the system is air tight back to the tank.

If you're primer is leaking, replace it, as the leak will keep it from functioning right and will also allow air into the system.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Okay thanks!
I bought two primers via evilzon $10 ea.
Also coming is a new pre fuel filter screen and cup.
Being plastic cup and just ribbed, I was torqing pretty good with no movement.
Did not want to break it to get it unscrewed without another on hand.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Hello booyah and rench,
On my quest to start my IH DT466e after draining out old fuel.

So I drained fuel, dropped tank, took fuel line fittings off tank as well as pulled pick up tube out of tank. That thing was all rusted with flaky scab looking rust top to bottom. Replacement to be made with copper pipe.
Installed new primer pump and new pre primer pump strainer and basket. Filled new filter with fresh red diesel via ring of holes only and then installed. Removed hex socket pipe plug from bottom front of fuel log, the small one below the big one.
A bit more old fuel came out, maybe 1/4 cup worth.
Pumped primer until I had red fuel coming out where I remover schrader valve from filter housing. Then installed schrader and kept on pumping until red fuel was coming out of fuel log on front where 3/8 pipe plug was. Then screwed in pipe plug loosely but as tight as I could and pumped primer some more until I got more new fuel coming out around the plug. Then wrenched it in.
Now get ready to for a fuel supply without using the old tank.
I used the tank fittings to connect the fuel supply line to the outlet of a 12vdc diaphragm sprayer pump (60psi) and a fuel hose from a 5 gallon jug of fresh red diesel to the pump. Put the fuel return from engine fuel log pressure regulator into an empty 5 gallon jug.

So now I can give fuel to the engine at inlet to primer pump on engine. Turn on sprayer pump and a few seconds later I get a cup of old fuel and a tablespoon of what looks like black pepper. Clear red new fuel is flowing into empty jug thru the psi reg. At what looks like full stream/force.

Have to act fast so as not to pump one jug dry and fill the return jug. As advised in my thread by rensch26, I pulled the big injector control plug out of the valve cover. Cranked engine over about six or eight revs. Put plug back in and cranked again 5/6 revs. No start or hint of starting. Cranked 5 to eight revolutions worth a couple of more times. Still no fire.
Batteries are charged to 100%, dash does the instrument panel readiness procedure, auto tranny in neutral, brake plunger valve is in the brakes activated position.
I am wondering what is the relief psi for the regulator? Obviously less than 60psi.
Maybe i need to add a gas cock on the fuel return line to restrict or even stop fuel flow to force fuel to the injectors?

What do yo think?
Did I do wrong somewhere?
Old 10-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
""Maybe i need to add a gas cock on the fuel return line to restrict or even stop fuel flow to force fuel to the injectors?""

I'm pretty sure this will not work. It might even damage something.

The others will chime back in with some ideas.

Jeffrey in Alabama
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Did the bus run fine until you parked it 2 or 3 years ago?

Also-- you keep saying red fuel-- which normally is off road fuel-- and the engine will run on the off road fuel just fine-- but it is illegal for on road use because no road tax was collected on it.

No big deal, but a little off road will dye a whole bunch of road fuel, and might get you into trouble if a trooper pulled a sample.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
Did the bus run fine until you parked it 2 or 3 years ago? yes, ran fine and I started it and ran it about 20 minutes every six months. Then not again the last 12 months.

Also-- you keep saying red fuel-- which normally is off road fuel-- and the engine will run on the off road fuel just fine-- but it is illegal for on road use because no road tax was collected on it.

No big deal, but a little off road will dye a whole bunch of road fuel, and might get you into trouble if a trooper pulled a sample.
Yes am aware, I use farm fuel here for tractor and mower, etc.
If I get it running for road use I will drain tank down and put some road fuel in it.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #18
Skoolie

I got my manual out and the fuel pressure regulator is supposed to be 65psi. So you are completely bypassing the fuel filter and lift pump and using an electric fuel pump just to see if the engine will start, correct? Oil level good in the engine? I know it's a dumb question but these engines require oil to fire the injectors so it's always worth checking.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensch26 View Post
I got my manual out and the fuel pressure regulator is supposed to be 65psi. So you are completely bypassing the fuel filter and lift pump and using an electric fuel pump just to see if the engine will start, correct? Oil level good in the engine? I know it's a dumb question but these engines require oil to fire the injectors so it's always worth checking.
No,
The 12vdc electric fuel pump is pumping fuel into the stock fuel line at where it was connected to the stock tank.So really the only item in the fuel system being bypassed is the fuel tank itself.
Oil level is at the full mark, black, not brown and has no taste.

The pump is a Remco Power Flo, 2.2gpm "factory set" at 60psi, garden sprayer pump. I suppose the factory set psi could be off 10% causing the fuel pressure regulator to open.

I will disconnect this 60psi pump and dead head it into a psi gauge to see where it stalls off.