Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

DT 360 air in fuel lines no fuel leak, help!

So I've had this bus for three years. It's died twice on the highway and after taking to mechanics eventually fired up again. No one could figure out the problem. It sat for a while and after researching and getting the manual, learned that you can bleed air from the fuel lines at the fuel pump by lossening the banjo bolt and priming at the same time. Air comes out in the fuel and once runs clean, I tighten her back up and she fires right up. I haven't driven her much since learning about that. But almost Everytime I go to start the bus after sitting for a week or two, I have to bleed air out of the lines. I am hoping to pick this bus project back up and finish the conversion. I just got back from the international mechanic and was hoping they would tell me where the fuel leak was. To my surprise, they say there is no fuel leak. They pressurized the system and also installed a sight glass. No leaks.

They said they found a fitting at the top of the air compressor to be leaking so they applied sealant to the thread. Could this have been causing air to get into the fuel lines?

They said maybe the mechanics who changed the oil last didn't install the fuel filters right and that may have been the problem. There is no way to know if problem is fixed until it happens again.
I am about to pick the bus up from the shop and am really worried it's going to be doing the same thing again.
What could it be! They said if it happens again after a week or so it may be the fuel pump itself that needs replacing. Which is a very costly job. Any other advice?

Mossymandalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
air in fuel with no leaks

I had an old sports car i brought back from the dead, would always run out of fuel at high speed. finally traced the problem to the fuel lines between the fuel pump and and the fuel.... Sucked air through the walls of the old fuel line. So I would recommend any fuel line, fitting, seal or oring in the system between the fuel, and the inlet of the pump is replaced with newer parts. There is some times a booster pump in the fuel tank, when this is the case there is also usually a short piece of hose in the fuel tank used to connect the fuel pump.

another place to look.

the fuel pump overflow.... I do not know the correct term for this, but on my fuel pump there is a check valve and if that check valve leaks, I do not have enough fuel to feed my fuel pump. Many have written this is an often overlooked part. Ask if there is such a critter on your pump. May be the source of your problems.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air in fuel, dt360, fuel, fuel lines, leak