Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2024, 05:20 PM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Just wondering.

Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:31 AM   #142
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT-466e, AT-545
I reset to 10psi at 4pm yesterday, while it was still very hot out. I went to check it again at 9pm. The temperature had dropped significantly (20-30į). The pressure was around 9psi.

I don’t remember what I did. I either pumped it back up to 10psi, or I left it at 9psi. Unfortunately I didn’t have my phone and didn’t take a picture. But I left it overnight and this morning at 7:30am, it was at 9psi.

I wish I had a way to do this inside a garage away from huge temperature swings, but it’s not an option for me.
Beeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 04:50 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb2 View Post
I reset to 10psi at 4pm yesterday, while it was still very hot out. I went to check it again at 9pm. The temperature had dropped significantly (20-30į). The pressure was around 9psi.

I donít remember what I did. I either pumped it back up to 10psi, or I left it at 9psi. Unfortunately I didnít have my phone and didnít take a picture. But I left it overnight and this morning at 7:30am, it was at 9psi.

I wish I had a way to do this inside a garage away from huge temperature swings, but itís not an option for me.
My friend. You are good.

Temp will do that. We have dry steam boilers fill with water. We heat the up and the flame cuts out at 80 psi. You allow it to sit and cool. It will drop back to 0 psi. It's all based on temp.

If you check your oil and did not rise, your liner seals are good. No coolant in engine oil.

Kit you got is great for finding a ard to source coolant leak.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:37 PM   #144
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
My friend. You are good.

Temp will do that. We have dry steam boilers fill with water. We heat the up and the flame cuts out at 80 psi. You allow it to sit and cool. It will drop back to 0 psi. It's all based on temp.

If you check your oil and did not rise, your liner seals are good. No coolant in engine oil.

Kit you got is great for finding a ard to source coolant leak.
Ok. Thatís good to hear. I am wondering about todayís results though. It was cloudy today and the temperature was consistent all day. I set to 10psi at 7:30ish, and checked at 10:45. The pressure had dropped to almost 9psi. I reset to 10psi at 10:45 after making sure the cap was on all the way, and it dropped to 9psi by 2pm, and has sat around that same mark since then.

I wonder if I didnít have the attachment piece wet enough to get a good seal, so Iím going to try again. I also wonder if it could be explained by my coolant being low. (I havenít done the flush and replacement yet)

I was going to top off with distilled water, make sure the cap is good and wet, and try again. The sun is just starting to come out now, so it might interfere with my results going forward.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:47 PM   #145
Skoolie

Also, I checked the oil. It is a bit high, but when I had it at the mechanic, he told me it was high. I assumed he would do something about it, but given how everything else went with them, he probably didn’t. I hadn’t checked it again till now, so I don’t know what it was prior to doing the pressure test.

EDIT: It is not milky though.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:18 PM   #146
Bus Nut

Quote:
Also, I checked the oil. It is a bit high, but when I had it at the mechanic, he told me it was high. I assumed he would do something about it, but given how everything else went with them, he probably didn’t. I hadn’t checked it again till now, so I don’t know what it was prior to doing the pressure test.

EDIT: It is not milky though.

For checking you oil and it's level. I take my finger nail and pinch the level on the dip stick. Wipe the rest nice and clean and mark it with a marker or paint marker. Don't install the dipstick, if you do only partially. Then a later recheck the oil compared to the mark on the stick. If not gone up your golden. If you use a paint marker. You can clean it with a little brake clean and a paper towel.

If you have a leak it would continue to drop. So for you go up and down a pound. Don't worry bout it. Don't stress about it. Keep an eye on your levels and enjoy the road.

For what it's worth, I have 210k miles on my Ford fusion. Yes I do top up the coolant once a year. 1/2 a liter at most. Been doing that for the last 8 year when I bought it with 70k miles. Point I'm saying. I'm not stressed about it even though it technically should not use any. I just drive the wheels off that car and it keeps going.Krep an eye on yours When you find that your aways adding a liter or 2 every day or few. You have a leak developing. That tester will catch it before it becomes a complete failure even though complete failures are sometimes inevitable. When I rebuilt the bottom end on my wife's escape(new crank and rod bearings) I changed the rad hoses. 2 years later the upper rad hose burst. A zip tie I didn't see rubbed a hole in it. No warning. It unfortunately happens. Best we can do is keep up and be diligent on maintenance to prevent the break downs the best we can.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:39 PM   #147
Skoolie

Ok, cool. That makes me feel a lot better.

Now to do the coolant flush and replace with all the same coolant. Also maybe drain some of the oil out since it's well above the fill line.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:39 AM   #148
Skoolie

I set it up yesterday, prior to your earlier message, at 4:45pm, setting it at 10psi. I left it overnight, and just now checked it at 7:20am. The pressure has dropped to 6psi. Yesterday it seemed to be consistently, albeit slowly, dropping all day. Never went up, always went down. Cloudy day, no sun, consistent temperature.

When I check my oil level, is that something that will go up when I do the pressure test, or only if I drive it for a little while? If it is leaking into the oil, how far can I drive?

EDIT: I just re-read the earlier comments and see that checking the oil level is part of the pressure test. So Iíll do that as per Omniís instructions.

I want to get to a property I own in New Mexico (~780 miles). Granted, if the mechanic here caused the o-rings to go bad, I could have them do the repair, but 1) I donít know if thatís actually whatís happening, 2) I donít really want them working on it anymore, and 3) I need a place to live in the meantime and canít keep staying in hotels. If I get to NM, I can park for a little while, save up, and just do the repair later.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2461.jpg  
Old 06-15-2024, 09:05 AM   #149
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
temperature greatly affects coolant expansion... when you are measuring pressure, you are looking at the coolant pressing against the Air in the tyop of the coolant bottle..while liquids can expand and contract they technically cant be compressed by any means you'd ever see in a vehicle..

the reason that you blow coolanbt on the ground if you fill your coolant bottle to the tippy top and drive is because the expansion runs the pressure over the 10 PSI of the cap due to temperature expansion.. thus the coolant gets pushed out of the cap until the pressure goes back to 10 PSI or below...

chances are when you set up your tester at 4:45 pm.. it got colder since the night, the coolant contracted in size and lowered the pressure... this is more dramtic the fuller thatr bottle is as there is less air volume in the bottle.. so even a small amount of contraction in size of the coolant results in a larger movement in system pressure...

when your bottle is filled to the correct driving level and you drive.. the coolant expands as it warms up but because it has room to expand, the pressure never rises above 10 PSI so it doesnt blow it out.. when it contracts, the pressure will drop to near zero.. just from normal driving.. it goes from 0 when cold to 10 when at its hottest (or close to it).... this is *NOT* boiling!! .. Boiling wont occur unless you overheat likely above 220 or so (antifreeze raises boiling point and so does pressure)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #150
Skoolie

Ok, I reread all of the instructions from earlier in this thread, and I realized that I missed Omni’s instructions about checking the oil level alongside the pressure test. What he is saying now is now making sense to me, so I’m going to start the test over after checking and marking the oil level and see what happens.

Because I missed what he said, I was thinking that if the pressure dropped at all, it would mean that the liner was bad. But now I think I am understanding correctly that I need to see if the pressure goes down AND the oil goes up. The pressure going down in and of itself does not tell me if the liner is bad. Correct?
Old 06-15-2024, 11:15 AM   #151
Skoolie

Ok, pressure test started again, this time Iím keeping an eye on the oil level. Itís already high starting off - I know that. If all goes well with this test, Iíll drain some oil out and make sure everything is at the right level before driving.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2465.jpg  
Old 06-15-2024, 12:24 PM   #152
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
A few questions for the experts .....

Temp. swing while testing pressure...for tracking purposes...

cadillackid makes some very good points about pressure changes with temperature swings!

Just thinking way out of the box here....

1) just track AM vs PM.. 2 different tracks to follow and compare. By Checking from sunrise to sunset you can track while the coolant/pressure goes from low to high (temp wise) and track any potential pressure loss. In other words, because of temp swing and pressure changes between day and night, is there any actual REAL loss?

2) sunset to sunrise - this would give you an accurate track of what if any change there is for that dark/cooler period of time.

Also, would plugging in the block heater, overnight, to maintain a steady temp...would that be beneficial at all for tracking changes at night??
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 12:28 PM   #153
Skoolie

In addition to ewo’s questions:

Is there a reason I would get such drastically different results from the pressure test?
Day 1: pressure went up with the temp outside, but seemed to be holding relatively well
Day 2: pressure slowly dropped all day, but temperature outside stayed consistent
Day 3 (today): pressure is dropping much faster (dropped about 1psi in an hour), while the temperature got hotter (direct sunlight, will be a hot day)

I’m waiting before I check the oil level. But I’m confused by how imprecise the pressure test itself seems to be.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:11 PM   #154
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
In addition to ewoís questions:

Is there a reason I would get such drastically different results from the pressure test?
Day 1: pressure went up with the temp outside, but seemed to be holding relatively well
Day 2: pressure slowly dropped all day, but temperature outside stayed consistent
Day 3 (today): pressure is dropping much faster (dropped about 1psi in an hour), while the temperature got hotter (direct sunlight, will be a hot day)

Iím waiting before I check the oil level. But Iím confused by how imprecise the pressure test itself seems to be.
I think cadillackid spells out quite clearly on why you see changes in pressure (post 149).

It would be interesting to see if that during the daylight hours your results stay within a tolerable range as well as your night time readings. It is obvious that they may not stay the same night versus day.

One thing you might consider, depending on how long ago you changed your oil...change it and drop some into a clear glass mason jar.

Let the jar sit overnight. water and oil will separate and if you have any considerable amount of water in your oil, not creating a milkshake scenario, you will be able to have some kind of idea with this test if you have any water in your oil.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #155
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
I think cadillackid spells out quite clearly on why you see changes in pressure (post 149).

It would be interesting to see if that during the daylight hours your results stay within a tolerable range as well as your night time readings. It is obvious that they may not stay the same night versus day.
Right. Cadillacís explanation (and Omniís earlier) make sense. What confuses me is that the pressure test Iím doing right now is all during daylight, with sun shining, very near exact conditions as the test I did on Day 1 (starting at about the same time, roughly the same weather/sunlight/temperature, all during daylight hours). But Iím getting the opposite result I got on Day 1.

On Day 1 in these same conditions, my psi went up to around 11 in 2 hours. But today in the same conditions, it has dropped 1.5psi now after about 2 hours.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:24 PM   #156
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so the question is.... after you run these tests is the level of the coolant going lower and lower at the same outside temperature than it was previous at the same outside temperature?

my experience with water in the oil is if its going into the pan.. it works its way down to the bottom over time and you can lossen the oil drain plug a couple turns and you'll get drops of water out (when the engine is cold).. oil is lighter than water... even high viscosity oil... the thicker the oil the longer it takes for the separation to occur,..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:40 AM   #157
Bus Nut

Don't rule out the tester as well. Even though it worked for me it's also a cheap Chinese part.

Pressure up your tester and spray a soap/water solution on it. Bubbles appear, the tester is leaking
Old 06-16-2024, 08:35 AM   #158
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so the question is.... after you run these tests is the level of the coolant going lower and lower at the same outside temperature than it was previous at the same outside temperature?

my experience with water in the oil is if its going into the pan.. it works its way down to the bottom over time and you can lossen the oil drain plug a couple turns and you'll get drops of water out (when the engine is cold).. oil is lighter than water... even high viscosity oil... the thicker the oil the longer it takes for the separation to occur,..
I canít see the coolant level in my radiator, and my only plastic reservoir is my overflow tank. My plan was that once I (hopefully) determine that my liner is good, I would flush out my coolant, fill it back up, and while doing, see if it is simply low right now or if my sight glass needs to be replaced.

How long would it take for the coolant and oil to separate? I need to drain some oil anyway, so Iíll probably give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
Don't rule out the tester as well. Even though it worked for me it's also a cheap Chinese part.

Pressure up your tester and spray a soap/water solution on it. Bubbles appear, the tester is leaking
I ended up getting two testers - the one you recommended and a Stant. I tried the Stant first, and it fit, so thatís the one Iíve been using. But yeah, Iíll check for leaks and also try the other one.

Iíve had my tester on since yesterday at 10:45am. I know it had dropped to 6psi by the time I went to bed last night, but havenít gone out to check it yet this morning. Iím going to check my oil level this morning. IF it is leaking coolant into the oil, how much would the oil level rise on the dipstick?
Old 06-16-2024, 08:40 AM   #159
Bus Nut

Quote:
I can’t see the coolant level in my radiator, and my only plastic reservoir is my overflow tank. My plan was that once I (hopefully) determine that my liner is good, I would flush out my coolant, fill it back up, and while doing, see if it is simply low right now or if my sight glass needs to be replaced.

How long would it take for the coolant and oil to separate? I need to drain some oil anyway, so I’ll probably give that a try.

I ended up getting two testers - the one you recommended and a Stant. I tried the Stant first, and it fit, so that’s the one I’ve been using. But yeah, I’ll check for leaks and also try the other one.

I’ve had my tester on since yesterday at 10:45am. I know it had dropped to 6psi by the time I went to bed last night, but haven’t gone out to check it yet this morning. I’m going to check my oil level this morning. IF it is leaking coolant into the oil, how much would the oil level rise on the dipstick?

Depends how much leaks into the oil pan. If you lead half a cup. You won't see it. If you leak 4 liters. You will see it. Regardless. If you crack the oil plug loose and drain off a little bit. Coolant will come out first.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:21 PM   #160
Skoolie

UPDATE

Oil level did not go up at all in 24 hours of pressurized system. In the meantime, the pressure dropped to 4psi.

This morning, I repressurized so I could spray the tester with soapy water, and I noticed the pressure was dropping very fast (down to 9psi in 5 minutes).

I then realized I could hear a crackling sound like air escaping. Couldn’t see any coolant coming out anywhere, but definitely an air leak. After looking around for an hour with my soapy water, I finally found it:

https://youtube.com/shorts/bHGNhgq1PMk?feature=shared

Question: What is this? Is it a good thing that that’s where I’m losing pressure, or a bad thing? And how do I resolve? Just tighten that clamp and hope for the best?

Tags
broke down, dt466, help me, loss of power, white smoke