Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 07:02 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT-466
DT-466 / AT-545, just broke down

Iím traveling through Wyoming, and it seems like weíve been going uphill all day. Suddenly I had a brief loss of power (for less than a second), and then it was okay again. That happened again a few minutes later. Then, I started really losing power, got white smoke out of the exhaust, heard some loud clanking or banging sound when pressing the gas pedal down, and I lost all power.

Now Iím sitting on the side of the road some huge distance from any nearby town, and donít know what the problem is, how to fix it, or if I can limp to a town or at least to a better spot to pull off.

Any ideas?

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:05 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT-466e, AT-545
This is also me. I’m just commenting from my other account where I can actually get notifications of responses.
Beeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
White smoke???
Did you lose all your coolant ?

Also check engine oil dipstick.
Is the oil dark brown or does it look like a creamy milkshake?

These two simple checks is the beginning of your troubleshooting process and will help others in helping you.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:45 PM   #4
Skoolie

Engine oil is drastically lower than it was, and there are signs of a leak under the engine that were not there prior to the trip today. That being said, the oil isnít completely gone, but it is very low. Dark, maybe slightly milky, but I honestly donít know. I am trying to attach a photo, but it wonít upload from my phone. I guess my service isnít good.

I honestly donít know where to check the coolant.

I just tried starting it up again and it sounded really bad and then died. So I guess Iím calling a tow either way.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Please forgive this next comment as I am not trying to offend but you really shouldn't drive the bus cross country if you don't know how to check the coolant!

That is a recipe for trouble.

If the engine is stone cold then remove the radiator cap and check for coolant. DO NOT open it if the engine is hot as you can/will get burned....badly!

Oil level is a concern but on a DT engine if your low on oil it will most likely just turn off by itself as the injectors need high pressure oil in order to operate correctly.

It is really important to know the color of your oil. If it is more white than brown then you got serious issues going on.

I attach these two pics so you can have an idea of what your oil should NOT look like.

Is your oil all dark or creamy/milky white/gray?
Any white/gray is a sign of bad news.

The noise you say it makes.. does it sound like banging or scraping/screeching?

Also, the reason why it starts and then dies, let's hope that it is nothing but low on oil but we need to know the color of the oil first.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7062.jpg   IMG_7052.jpg  
Old 05-17-2024, 09:40 PM   #6
Skoolie

No offense taken. You're absolutely right.

I took the cap off, and don't see anything inside. I don't know what coolant to even put in it though, or how much. I'm very mechanically uninformed, especially about my bus.

I just compared your photos to my oil. No, my oil doesn't look like that. It is very dark, almost black.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:44 PM   #7
Skoolie

Videos!

Here is me checking my coolant: https://youtube.com/shorts/9AZ23fx-WAs

Here is me catching the tail-end of the sound the engine was making when I tried to start it shortly after first breaking down: https://youtube.com/shorts/sM6APUjYxxw

Here is me trying to start the bus again about a half hour ago: https://youtube.com/shorts/UiHUQwqnOuY
Old 05-17-2024, 10:08 PM   #8
Skoolie

One more video:

A better view of inside the coolant cap: https://youtube.com/shorts/qLwI6_33lqo?feature=share
Old 05-17-2024, 11:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I would recommend not keeping trying to turn it over. I'm not great with engine sounds. You have something hitting something else in your engine. This could be a spun rod bearing causing the connecting rod to break and beat around your cylinder which would cause a loss of compression (white smoke) and then cause low oil pressure which would stop your injectors from firing. It's possible it's something else as well. I would certainly call for a tow before trying a roadside recovery..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:58 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Yeah sounds like a rod knocking. Something is knocking that shouldn't at least.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:29 AM   #11
Skoolie

Yeah, prior to your comments, I tried one more time and the knocking sound was much more pronounced, so I stopped.

How bad of a position am I in? Is this going to be a full engine replacement? And if so, what's that roughly going to cost me?
Old 05-18-2024, 08:59 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Need to have a mechanic look it over but assuming it needs a new engine there are options but its gonna cost. Potentially you could find and buy for like $4k, but doesn't include installation. A typical job like this can start at $12k with engine purchase up to $20k max.

If its something g simple or not in too bad of shape and can be remanufactured it is gonna be a little cheaper possibly but not much. I'm only going by what people here have reported the costs to be. Varies by mechanic and location.

If you are lucky, and its something even simpler to fix you may only be in for a couple grand. It needs to get looked at to figure your options.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:11 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my DT360 sounded exactly like that when it lost prime and fuel ends up unburned and fires off at the wrong time..

it sounds to me more like an injector stuck open dumping fuel in a cylnder...cylinder is trying to fire extrenely early thus the sound..
the sound is definitely with the engine rhythm and not a once per rev of the crank sound... so likely not a spun bearing... that'll have a faster cadence..

*OR*

you lost a head gasket and that sound is hydrolock - water in the cylinder..

problem 2 it lost its oil and the HPOP went dry and shut down the engine.. possibly because it was diluted by excess fuel and leaked out?..

problem 3? fueling issue?

lots of things going on here... getting a DT466 hot.. even 230 degrees hot can prove fatal for the engine...

wyoming.. im assuming on either 90 or 84 / 80 and climbing up to 9000 feet.. thats pure hell on a bus unless you drop down a gear and take it slow...

im just tossing ideas with the small amoiunt of info here...
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #14
Skoolie

Actually, I was on Route 20/Route 26. I went that route specifically to avoid big hills, but it ended up being one big long hill for 200 miles.

I have a tow truck on the way now. They’ll tow me all the way back to Casper, and then we’ll see what happens next. The bus is my baby, but I don’t know if I can swing $20k…
Old 05-18-2024, 12:13 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

well at least your oil is black, that is one good sign.

After listening to your videos I think that cadilackid suggestions of a head gasket might be where your heading. the coolant had to go somewhere!

Low oil level, you mentioned it had a leak. How often do you check your oil ? when was the last time you checked while on your trip?

In any event, your headed to a mechanic shop as anything you do now going forward will involve opening up the engine and inspecting!
Old 05-18-2024, 12:14 PM   #16
Skoolie

I check the oil before driving each day. I know there wasn’t a leak prior to starting out yesterday, but clearly something developed along the drive.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Sorry to hear about your troubles... hopefully the solutions arent too much.

im not close, but kind of, if you need something, a homebase or shipping addy or something... maybe i can help. im in northern Colorado, about 5 hours from casper.

i'd say you probably have a good selection of qualified diesel mechanics around there. stay away from the big shops and it'll be reasonable.

good luck!
Old 05-19-2024, 10:18 AM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles... hopefully the solutions arent too much.

im not close, but kind of, if you need something, a homebase or shipping addy or something... maybe i can help. im in northern Colorado, about 5 hours from casper.

i'd say you probably have a good selection of qualified diesel mechanics around there. stay away from the big shops and it'll be reasonable.

good luck!
Thanks! We made it to a shop in Casper after a long day. Theyíll start diagnosis today, so we should know whatís happening soon. Hoping for the best.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wyoming.. im assuming on either 90 or 84 / 80 and climbing up to 9000 feet.. thats pure hell on a bus unless you drop down a gear and take it slow...
As I mentioned, thatís not the road I was on, but just to make sure Iím doing it rightÖ

When I start going uphill, I drop down into 3, 2, or 1 depending on how steep it is and how much it sounds like itís struggling. The RPM goes up really high and the engine sounds like itís working harder, and my speed drops really low depending on the grade of the hill. The high RPM and engine noise is mostly what Iím unsure of. It sure sounds like itís straining more.

Am I doing something wrong?

Iíve never seen the temp gauge get up to 210, but it does sit around probably 200.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:21 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like fuel knock.

Also sounds like timing is out.....failed sensor?

New oil leak concerning.

Very curious.

Word of advise. If your not mechanically inclined. Spend the money on having the bus inspected least once a year and before road trips. A $150 rad hose replacement can save thousands.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broke down, dt466, help me, loss of power, white smoke