Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

DT 466 no start no luck

I have a 98’ 466 with 60,000 miles that I’ve been fighting with for awhile now. I developed an issue with power loss at upper rpm last fall. I attributed this to a bad fuel issue and possibly blockage in the injector nozzles. I dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out, drove for a couple hours and it died, changed the fuel filter got it running and limped it home. Two days later it wouldn’t start. So it began, I changed the cos, ipr, fuel pump, I put, and finally the HPOP, still nothing, replaced batteries. My availability of electronic diagnostics is limited but what I have learned is HPOP is making enough pressure to fire injectors. It’s been a few months since I had time to mess with it but I got a chance the other day and I pulled the valve cover, I’m getting low pressure oil into the head and the injector O-Ring don’t appear to be leaking. I’m going to put it back together and see if I can get another diagnostic test run on it. One thing that has confused me from the beginning , I took apart the fuel return on the back of the head and I can’t get any pressure there, only a drip. I’m all out of ideas and looking for some insight. I’m leaning to a computer issue now but I can’t just keep throwing money at it. Thanks in advance for any help

Timucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Timucc, i don't know the first thing about these motors. i'm sure what i have to offer isn't of any help.. but it does sound like a fuel-related issue.
- power loss at upper RPM
- then rough run
- then quit altogether

new filter
cleaned tank screen
new pump
HPOP is making pressure

no fuel leaks noted i'm assuming? not knowing much about how these things are plumbed, are any of the fuel lines removable to clean? small piece of oring material creating a blockage? debris clogged up?
i'm assuming it's cranking but just not firing to start? if batteries are good, oil is good, and several components have been replaced/inspectedd in the fuel system, i get the notion it isn't getting the right amount of fuel.

forgive me, but is this a DT466E or DT466 'mechanical'? i'll try to stay tuned to this and see what develops.
hope you can make some progress.
potterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I had similar issues with my DT466e would suddenly just go dead. I thought it was a fuel issue as well because it would only do it while under load. I’d leave it sit for awhile then out if the blue there she would go but often times would stammer a bit as well. I tried changing the camshaft position sensor which is very simple and inexpensive and I didn’t have a problem again. I now keep a spare one I. My tool kit. Hate to have a hefty tow bill for a part that’s less than $100
Vaebrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
While cranking you should have more then a drip of fuel from the return. What's the fuel rail pressure at when cranking, what about while running? Does your bus have a water separator and did you change that too? Often times, the water separator is overlooked and missed.