Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
DT-466E with allison2000 series

yep.. another engine thread...

is the DT-466E coupled to an allison "2000 series" any good?.. "my allison" didnt have much to say about its exact model.....

is 150k miles a huge amount in a Shortie (GVWR 25,500)?

I dont know alot about this setup.. I dont see too many with it..

im intruiged that the allison2000 is an Overdrive unit...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

The 2000 series is designed and built for lower HP/torque/weight than the 3000 series.

Since your bus is a smaller bus it also will have less than max HP. 210 HP is probably what you have.

In other words, you have a really nice little bus with a great engine and transmission that has not even seen half the expected service life.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The 2000 series is designed and built for lower HP/torque/weight than the 3000 series.

Since your bus is a smaller bus it also will have less than max HP. 210 HP is probably what you have.

In other words, you have a really nice little bus with a great engine and transmission that has not even seen half the expected service life.

I dont have it yet... its my 2nd go-to Bus if I cant make insurance and registration happen on my first choice..

my first choice is an older bus as I love the older industrial metal interiors and the sheer heavy-duty feel of them... however since I dont want to build a full RV (with sinks and toilets).. I may be out of luck on that one as its over 26,000 GVWR.....

its easy to REGISTER a skoolie as an RV in ohio.. (frig, microwave,table,bed).. but to INSURE a skoolie WITHOUT WATER is nearly impossible....

HOWEVER if i find a unit under 26,000 GVWR and seats 15 or less then it can be registered (and insured) as a passenger vehicle... (similar to an E-350 club wagon 4 row)....

so I had to come up with a second option in case I cant get the paperwork done on the first...

im doing a LOT od research BEFORE I buy a bus so I dont get caught like some have..

-Christopher
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Water is easy. A five gallon water bottle...a tiny sink with a simple hand pump...it all drains into another 5 gallon jug. A functioning water system same as on a boat except you don't dump it overboard.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

a sink is easy but thus far the insurance carriers want toilets of some sort.. some even a shower...

my plans arent to Camp... my plans are to roadtrip... every long drive requires a space to rest.. cold soda pop and hot left-over pizza...

I write software , develop hardware and brainstorm... I cant do that in a cubicle.. so i do it often from the road... My bus is to be a rig where i can literally have a "toy-lab" setup on the road.. I drive a few hours.. get ideas.. stop.. work on them... drive some more... (yes I really do this and it works.... )...

my bus may be parked for longperiods of time.. or it may be out alot..
I dont want the hassle and space-use of anything Plumbing-wise.. I dont have time to freeze-protect, sanitize.. clean plumbing...

I know most on here are looking to Camp in their bus.. thats not me.. the bed will be just to rest break on a 20 hour drive..

the newer bus sounds intruiging.. however it has alot of electronics in it... while im no stranger to electroics in cars... I am in commercial vehicles...

the old bus is a standard DT-360 (new rebuild) and an AT545 4 speed auto (people hate em but they work)..

the newer bus already has engine driven Air-cond.. the older one i would put a genset (I need one anyway for the lab gear).. and then a couple roof-toppers.. so when driving i would just run the genset(in the older bus)...

from what im reading though people think the DT-466E / Allison 2000 series makes a really nice road-bus easily running 65 esp in a shorter lighter bus..

-Christopher
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Where there's a will, there's a way, bruv.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

If the choice is between an older bus with the DT360/AT540 or a newer bus with the DT466/2000 I would not hesitate with the newer bus.

The DT360 is a great little engine. Think in terms of the lower HP version of the Cummins 5.9L/ISB. At the most it is going to be rated at 210 HP and could be as low as 160 HP with the most common being 180 HP. In a small bus with the AT540 transmission everywhere you go on the highway will be foot to the floor and slowing down for any hill.

The DT466E in the newer bus will have much more torque even if the HP ratings are the same. What that means is it will not slow down as much on the hills and with the 2000 series transmission you won't have to bury the throttle to maintain 60 MPH.

I would assume if the newer bus has coach A/C it also most likely has tinted windows. On a hot day tinted windows in a school bus can make more than 20* difference in temperature between identical buses with one having tinted and the other having non-tinted glass.

I realize your goal for your bus is not a full on camper or tiny home but installing some of the amenities is still not a bad idea. Having your own private toilet can be a luxury that is beyond price at times. Think of hot summer afternoons with the only "facility" a portable toilet that hasn't been serviced recently. Having your own private "facility", even if it is only a portable or composting toilet is well worth the effort at that point. And having a sink to clean up after using the "facility" is a much preferred option to just using hand sanitizer.

Robot Check

Robot Check

Robot Check

A fridge to keep your drinks cool and a microwave to heat up your leftovers is one of the really nice advantages of an RV over driving just a car across the country.

I think perhaps you are overthinking some of the RV requirements.

Robot Check

Robot Check

Robot Check

Build one cabinet with a counter top on top of which you could have your sink with a space for your stove. While traveling and not in use they could be stowed under the counter. The end of the cabinet could hold the fridge and microwave. Over one of the wheel wells you could build a frame to hold the toilet. When not in use the portable wall could be stowed out of the way. The whole thing could be done in a cabinet not more than 8' long and done in a way that would not block the windows. Or not block very many of them very much.

There are a lot of people who have done very minimalist conversions. Some from their desire to be minimalistic, some from their lack of $$$$, some from lack of skills, and some from a desire to take the bus out and find out what works before spending a lot of time, $$$, and effort building a full on conversion.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote