Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Year: 1986
Engine: Dt360
DT360 NEWB questions

First, Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I read "DT360 info" in the forums and I can follow along fairly well, but I am no means knowledgeable. But I'm willing to get my hands dirty.

I have an 86 Dt360 turbo, non-intercooled, automatic that seems to only have 3 speeds, slow, glacial and continental. (seriously I think it is a 4 speed auto).

I can figure out the turbo stuff, (basic plumbing) I bought a intercooler off a S1800 dump truck of the same year..

TRANSMISSIONS. i know words, Spicer, Allison etc..I know what they mean and reference.. but there is not definitive list of compatible years/models.. and the confusing part is now all these guys running DT360's in their pick-ups are using the same words and it's hard to even google search (DT360) and not trip on an application that doesn't seem right..for our application.. "no I don't want to drag race.." "1000hp DT360 with massive allison" doesn't help on youtube..

Can I get an Allison auto 6 speed?, is there a set bolt pattern, nomenclature i can go to a junk yard with and be all like "hey you got a 8 bolt 90's Alison back there ?" vs "Um I have a bus with an 86 automatic DT360.. you got somethin that'll fit?" I don't know final drives for mine or if it's a simple as changing the transmission out vs removing the entire drive-line..

I have a nice big-rig/truck junk yard and i don't mind pulling and swapping I just don't know what years are compatible is a 86 DT360 even the same as the DT360's these kids are putting in their pick ups..is that knowledge even useful, i don't wanna "roll coal" but they are building power, and putting it down with these older motors.. or so it seems..

All the information that used to be put on here, are mostly all dead links, geocities etc.. can't even follow the links any more..

There are some really knowledgeable names here like "Will, lapeer20m, nevrenufhp.. I don't know if they are still around, but every time i look up DT360 thier names always seem to be in the discussion.

HnDracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
So I'm not sure which housing the DT360 has, I have a DT408 and it has a SAE #2 housing w/ a SAE #3 adapter to neck it down. The AT545 (which is the most common low end automatic for these buses) has a SAE #3 bolt pattern, but yours being a 86, I'm not sure if that's what you have. You could crawl under and clean off the name plate, it should be on the passenger side towards the driveshaft.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post
So I'm not sure which housing the DT360 has, I have a DT408 and it has a SAE #2 housing w/ a SAE #3 adapter to neck it down. The AT545 (which is the most common low end automatic for these buses) has a SAE #3 bolt pattern, but yours being a 86, I'm not sure if that's what you have. You could crawl under and clean off the name plate, it should be on the passenger side towards the driveshaft.
Find the specifications for the motor you have and it will tell you whether you have the SAE#2 or 3.
The compatible parts info for transmissions are only going to come through specific motor knowledge like bolt pattern for the bell housing?
With a tranny upgrade almost always comes a driveshaft fitting change and length adjustment of the shaft itself plus carrier/mid shift bearing placement if applicable.
Then we are on to matching the speedo cable,the back up pressure switch, the tranny temp and pressure gauge if you have one.
My AT 545? I just know it's there and works great if maintained properly for where I use it as of now.
Not saying it won't leave me on the side of the road for what I plan to do
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the DT360 has an SAE2 flywheel housing.. if you have an AT54X transmission then there will be 2 rings of bolts when you look under the bus at the transmission flange.. the outer ring is an SAE2 to SAE3 adapter. the inner ring is the SAE3 adapter to the transmission bell.. (the AT54X is always SAE3 bell)..

the allison 6 speed stuff you are likely to find in the junkyards will be GMC Bellhousing.. ie 5 and 6 speed allison 1000s from duramaxx trucks and vans.. those are also electronic transmissions and require computers and electronicsto make them work..

there were 5 and 6 speed allison mechanical transmissions however they were non-overdrive.. I forget the numbers.. some of the big 700 series I think...

if you are geared so badly that your RPM reaches redline before you are at a speed you like then you first need to make sure your trans gets all its shifts.. the AT540 series when floored will give you pretty positive feel to 1-2 and 2-3 but 3-4 is more subtle.. you usually hear a slight reduction in RPMs as it hits 4th gear but wont notice a solid hit to that shift.. if you are lucky enough to have a Tach you can see it.. (many S-series busses were ordered without tachs)...

the AT540 series are non-lockup so it always feels kind of like you are free-wheeling and running at High revs.. theres never a positive lockup to the torque converter..

the most straight forward upgrade is to an MT-643 which is still a 4 speed non-overdrive but gives you a lockup converter which is a good positive coupling to the engine.. this is a swap I am in the process of embarking on in my Bus as we speak.. (I have a DTA-360 and an AT545(thats dead)).

if your bus is hitting all 4 gears and still really slow then you likely will want to re-gear the differential.. or find a 3rd member which has more favorable gears.. calling a navistar dealer with your VIN number they can tell you what rear gears were installed in your bus from the factory.. using that and your current tire size you can calculate your theoretical top speed. if lucky the tag is still on your differential and has the ratio marked on it.. then you dont need to call navistar.. you can just calc the theoretical top speed of the bus.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Christopher,
Can you do us a favor and post the bore & stroke info out of your service manual for the DT360. It will hopefully settle a discussion about the differences between the DT360 and DT408.

Thanks,
Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Christopher,
Can you do us a favor and post the bore & stroke info out of your service manual for the DT360. It will hopefully settle a discussion about the differences between the DT360 and DT408.

Thanks,
DTA 360 vs DT408 vs DT466 | BinderPlanet
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
From that forum, I am led to believe that the DT360 is a totally different block than the DT408, DT466, DT530.

Is that what you are saying?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
From that forum, I am led to believe that the DT360 is a totally different block than the DT408, DT466, DT530.

Is that what you are saying?
Yep. I thought the 408 was just a stroked 360 but that is NOT the case!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yep. I thought the 408 was just a stroked 360 but that is NOT the case!
It'd still be nice to have the information from the service manual. I've seen other information float around on forums that was not correct, and seeing as he posted those pictures of his massive manual set, I'm hoping Christopher can just snap a picture for confirmation.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3
Maybe this guide will help some. It doesn't list the bore and stroke, but gives lots of good part numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003EngineQuickRefrenceGuide.pdf (1.66 MB, 27 views)
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp View Post
Maybe this guide will help some. It doesn't list the bore and stroke, but gives lots of good part numbers.
WOW. That is a reference that every International owner should have.

Thanks,

Tags
dt360, newb, tranmission