Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

DT360 Starting issues.

91 Navistar DT360 in a Thomas Built.

Bus has been sitting for 4 months while I was traveling. I came back and charged up the batteries. She would start and rev up and up to high rpms. I could not get engine to stop by the cutoff. Only able to get it to stop by putting it into reverse... not good! I found a broken line from the throttle pedal to the transmission. Throttle line itself is fine, so is fuel cutoff line. Im not sure what that line is... or where to get it or how to replace it. Any help is appreciated! She is having trouble starting at all now...

AVL_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL_BUS View Post
91 Navistar DT360 in a Thomas Built.

Bus has been sitting for 4 months while I was traveling. I came back and charged up the batteries. She would start and rev up and up to high rpms. I could not get engine to stop by the cutoff. Only able to get it to stop by putting it into reverse... not good! I found a broken line from the throttle pedal to the transmission. Throttle line itself is fine, so is fuel cutoff line. Im not sure what that line is... or where to get it or how to replace it. Any help is appreciated! She is having trouble starting at all now...
Did you fix broken line?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

I dont know what that cable is called to get a new one! Any idea? It runs from the pedal to the transmission.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I dont know what that cable is called to get a new one! Any idea? It runs from the pedal to the transmission.
cable from transmission to pedal is the modulator cable.. that affects your shifting line pressures in an automatic.. im assuming from acelerator pedal.. if its from the clutch pedal to the trans and you have a stick then its the clutch linkage cable.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
cable from transmission to pedal is the modulator cable.. that affects your shifting line pressures in an automatic.. im assuming from acelerator pedal.. if its from the clutch pedal to the trans and you have a stick then its the clutch linkage cable.
-Christopher
Thank you! Just needed a name for it so i can try to find one. It is an an auto. Any idea where i can find one? Would this make it throttle high when first cranking?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
She would start and rev up and up to high rpms. I could not get engine to stop by the cutoff. Only able to get it to stop by putting it into reverse... not good!
Yikes.. If that fuel cut-off is functioning correctly, then the engine may be feeding itself a hearty helping of engine oil. That's what you'd call a runaway diesel. Otherwise the fuel cutoff isn't working. Either case needs some serious attention before fixing transmission linkages.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
was it smoking alot when running up or just running at high idle? if its in a runaway condition it would be blasting smoke..

the cable - you can call an international dealer with your VIN and they can give you the part number of that cable. transmission modulator or detente cable is what it will likely be called. then you can look for it online or possibly order it from them (more expensive).

but yes the fuel cutoff is super important to get right!!.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote