Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
DT466 (2004) Low Voltage on Cluster/No start

OK,

I really need help with this one...

Some History...

When driving the cluster voltage will drop down (idle is best) and is seems to correlate with the injector duty cycle (full throttle up hill being the worst). This has been since the day I picked her up on the initial trip from Birmingham to SFO.

Also one headlamp seem very dim (like the classic open ground headlamp symptom from high school).

TODAY:

Went out for weekly "bus start" and just got "click" and the cluster did an uncalled for "self test sweep". Put the battery charger on for a couple of hours. Tried again and got the started solenoid to engage for a second and a half and then another "self test sweep".

OK I said, let's battery swap (no change)

Then I noticed that the cluster volt meter was pointing at 10v after every sweep. (as a note my separate analog volt meter shows 12.8v and never dips during any of this).

Next I jumped the starter solenoid. The engine briskly turned over. With that new info I traced the wires back to the started solenoid relay, sorted the N.O. contacts and also had good engine turnover. So clearly it is not an battery/starter problem.

My thought was a bad connection to the ECM (+ or ground) so I went hunting for the ECM and it's harness. Spent an hour looking and no joy, I just don't know where it is.

So I switched to troubleshooting the headlamp. What I found was a large 8 pin plastic spade connector near the front bumper and then identified each pin.

1) Running lights
2) Turn
3) High Beam
4) Low Beam
and a couple of ground conductors.

The individual spade lugs looks a bit spread out so I bent each one slightly to improve the connections.

Plug it back in and no headlamp improvement, I then compared the voltage reading on the good side and everything was the same.

thew up my hands...

OK but wait, looked down and the cluster volt meter is now reading 13 volts. Turned the key and presto bus is alive!

I am going to be driving her out to Buffalo NY next week and would like to figure these out. All are unnerving (no start, low voltage uphill, dim headlamps)...

Any help/ideas or maybe just help me locate the ECM and Harness.

Bus is a 2006 FE300 with a 2004 DT466 and 2004 cluster...

Thanks in advance,

Pete (scratching my head)

PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote