Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE 300
Engine: DT 466E EGR, 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 56 (coach seats)
DT466 Leaking water pump flange

Hi all, need some assistance here. I just replaced the water pump on my bus, 2005 RE300. The old seal was crusty and was leaking between the seal and the timing cover. upon installation the two bolts that go through the timing case completely torqued perfectly to 23 FT lbs as the book indicates, the rest of the three bolts appear to go into the rear cover for the timing case. the alloy appears to be stripped out, I couldn't get a torque and stopped trying for worry of tearing out what threads remain. I have looked into repair using Time-Serts https://time-serts.com/store/m8x1-25-thread-repair-kit/

This would do the job, but do I need to remove the front half of the timing cover to do the thread repair? Looking at the kit it certainly seems like I would need to. It's a lot of work to stop the leak, which is why I'm guessing the previous owner didn't do it. The lower three bolts holes are the ones in question.

I also replaced the thermostat when I did this project. It has a slow drip past the seal while running, but doesn't leak while parked. It started leaking while parked after temperature changes this winter.

I need to drive the bus tomorrow 180 miles and then return on sunday. Is this something that I can drive? I'm ok with using a gallon of coolant from a slow drip.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8181.jpg   IMG_8186.jpg  

Jonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
Time serts would be the way to fix that. I have used them for years and they are way better than heli coils. Make sure you use one of the correct length.
Good Luck!
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote