Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 12:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

DT466e and Maxxforce DT differences?

So I'm looking for more information about the difference between the DT466e, the DT466e with EGR I guess?, and the Maxxforce DT. I understand that the EGR can have problems, and that the Maxxforce DT has tons of problems. But are the problems with the Maxxforce DT strictly due to the emissions bs? Or were they manufactured differently as well. I've read that there are camshaft failures with the Maxxforce DT; is it worse metal or machining or assembly? Or a different design? Is a Maxxforce DT short block or long block different from a DT466e? Could a person not just remove all the emissions stuff from a Maxxforce DT and have a good engine?

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Hello,
The "e" is for "electronic".
Emissions system (EGR coolers, mainly) causes almost all the issues on the Maxxforces DT engine. Other components may fail, but as in other makes.
It would not be easy to remove the emissions stuff. You may find a tuner able to deactivate the EGR and DPF in the ECM, but getting rid of the EGR and the coolers is another story. The system is tightly integrated within the exhaust and coolant systems.
Is your question about the long block (which I can't answer) about swapping the block and heads to get rid of the emissions?
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 04+ DT466E also have EGR coolers.. the 07-9 Maxxforce DT is a very similar engine however the Maxxforce DT also has a DPF filter whereas the 04-06 DT466E do not. . (they just have EGR)..

both engines have a single VGT turbo.

the 10+ maxxforce DT changed quite a bit as it went to common rail injection and compound turbos...

there are companies which sell software and hardware to delete EGR and / or DPF..

the DPF didnt cause a lot of issues on engines that are run and warmed up properly.. the EGR coolers leaking were the biggest issues at hand..

by the time you buy the software and hardware to delete the EGR on one you are in the ballpark cost-wise to just replace with a high quality aftermarket EGR cooler and be done with it.. Bullet-proof diesel probably makes the best one out there (priciest also).. others also make good replacement EFGR coolers for these.. its a good bit of work to replace them but not so bad in a conventional bus. FE or RE access issues are a problem since a lot of the work is done from the side.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 04+ DT466E also have EGR coolers.. the 07-9 Maxxforce DT is a very similar engine however the Maxxforce DT also has a DPF filter whereas the 04-06 DT466E do not. . (they just have EGR)..
Indeed, but the coolers are not comparable. Way more complicated on the Maxxforces

Quote:
there are companies which sell software and hardware to delete EGR and / or DPF.
Software, yes. Hardware, to properly delete the EGR and coolers on a Maxxforce DT? I don't think so.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Indeed, but the coolers are not comparable. Way more complicated on the Maxxforces

Software, yes. Hardware, to properly delete the EGR and coolers on a Maxxforce DT? I don't think so.

some places sell you a complete kit that incliudes an interface for propgramming / flashing the ECM.. theres no permanently installed hardware on the engine other than the bypass pipes.. .

true that on tme MFDT EGR cooler "system" being much more complex.. all were somewhat problematic
Old 05-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I thought by hardware you meant a way to physically remove the coolers from the engine.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

CadillacKid, while you are here, I try again
Can you remotely copy an ECM, to keep the programming, as a backup? Same thing for a TCM (A53)?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

true I dont think anyone ever came out with a solution to completely remove the EGR coolers.. ive heard of people welding the exhaust ports closed and just let the coolers fill up with coolant.. again for me at some point the amount of work / $$ that goes into deleting the EGR.. may as well install a bulletproof type set and likely never touch it..

if you have a Nexiq you can download the parameter file using the god mode service maxx..(free service maxx on a pre maxxforce) if you want the actual software / calibration file for an ECM the only way I have found is to use NavKal which will download the latest calibration / firmware for your ECM into temporary files.. you can crash the Navkal program on purpose and it will leave the temp files which you can copy off..

for TCM's you can read them using allison DOC software and winrw32 ..
Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

The only thing I've heard about physical difference is that apparently the MF DT have 4 valves per cylinder, whereas earlier models have 2. I also read that navistar produced the MF engines "in-house"; it wasn't clear if it was a different manufacturing facility than previously.

The camshaft failures reported in the MF DT engines I find particulary peculiar, and I'm curious as to the quality of metallurgy. I'm hungry for deep information regarding the manufacturing of these engines.
wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote