Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Exclamation DT466e Fuel Filter Change Need Help!!!

Hello!
I have a 1998 International Crown 3800 DT466e. I am attempting to find the primary and secondary fuel filter. I've looked under the bus with no luck as well. Someone stated it could be in fuel tank? How does this work? I'm also trying to find the user manual. PLEASE HELP!!!

Katiecat82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I found a fuel filter, but it doesn't say if it's the primary or secondary. Would the other one look similar? The only similar objects I found were the coolant and oil filters.
Attached Thumbnails
20210814_111147.jpg   20210814_111456.jpg   20210814_111213.jpg  
Old 08-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Update: removed the fuel filter we found and got a replacement. However, the fuel we removed settled while we were away and appears to have rust in it. It seems like I need to drain all my fuel and out some fresh in there. What additional steps can I take to clean and prevent what inside my gas tank? Is it ok to leave my fuel filter disconnected until I get this new issue resolved?
Old 08-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
rust in the fuel

Man, I would keep one extra filter on the bus at all times... I also would not drain the tank.... My experience says you can do hours of work on draining and trying to clean it out, but you will have a problem again in short time... If the tank is that rusty, you are likely to need to replace the tank anyways... just a matter of time when you start leaking fuel.

Find out now, your tanks size and location, and how to change it. Start looking for replacement tank.... $100 is cheap for a 80-100 gallon tank.

just replace the filter and roll one.

IF you are going to drain the tank.. do this instead... find the bottom drain plug for your tank. remove it and drain a couple of gallons. put the plug back in. You will wear diesel fuel doing this....

check your two gallons and see how much of it is water... if you have more than a gallon of water drain a couple more gallons....

check again.. keep doing this until you dont pull water out.

let the fuel sit for a day and carefully pour the diesel into a good clean container and then pour that back into the tank and use it.

air planes with propellers check for water in fuel very very often and drain off fuel until you dont get water. some pilots dont drain enough and miss the water build up in the tanks.

call if you want to talk fuel tanks and things you can do about it. 785

207 7600

do not leave the fuel filter off , keep dirt out of the system... screw the new or old filter back on... do not leave that off

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiecat82 View Post
I found a fuel filter, but it doesn't say if it's the primary or secondary. Would the other one look similar? The only similar objects I found were the coolant and oil filters.
On the DT466E the fuel filter, which you found, is on the driver's side of the engine. Behind the filter, there is black plunger/pump to prime your fuel system. Underneath that, a part of the same unit as the primer pump, there is a plastic housing that has a screen inside it. This screen catches any larger particles coming from your fuel tank before they make it to the fuel filter. You can take that plastic housing off and clean out the screen using a box-end wrench. It's a reasonably large size, the exact size escapes me at the moment.

Your bus also likely has a fuel/water separator on it as well. That will be mounted on the driver's side frame rail between the engine and fuel tank. There is a valve you can open and drain out any water that the unit has managed to separate from your fuel.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Wow! Thank you so much for your response. So very helpful. Next step is to replace the gas tank. I'll call you if I run into a huge snag with that. Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Rensch!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 29k
Did you find your water separator filter? I have the same bus and I haven't found it yet.
Soaringcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
My 1998 AmTran with DT466e does not have a water seperator either. But it does have the sediment bowl style screen pre filter below the priming pump.

I have researched the Wix fuel filter 33403 (Baldwin BF7629) for this engine and Wix makes a 33337 (NAPA Gold 3337) which is a filter and water separator all in one with water drain valve.

But it is nearly 9.5" tall from filter base to bottom. So make sure you have the room.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466e, fuel filter, international crown, user manual