Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #1

Dt466e international 4700 no start please help

I was driving and all of a sudden the truck just lost power. Before the truck started dying the truck started sputtering I pressed the gas pedal and the truck didn’t want to accelerate or it would buck a little.. I tried to diagnose on the side of the road and it would fire for a second of staring fluid but then die off. After about 2 hours it started up randomly and I drove it to gas station I put fuel in truck even though my gauge previously read a little over a quarter of tank. On the way home the truck dies on me again and i was so close I pulled the truck home with the bobcat that was loaded on the truck. Also I have no check engine light or codes For the past week I have thrown various new parts and the truck : crank position sensor, ipr and icp sensor.. i topped the oil off and made sure it was at the full level. I pulled the steel braided hose that comes of heui pump and measured oil pressure. It appeared to have well over 3500 psi when cranking.. I also cracked return line and I had fuel coming from return line. It appears i have no power to injectors. I used a test light to probe one wire going to single injector harness on driver side and the 12v test light didnt light up of. So my question is what will keep the injectors from firing? Also my new crank position sensor came with spacers but the old one didn’t have any spacer. How do you know how many spacers to use on new cps..Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jreese7290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you havent mentioned what year it is but IDM failures within the NavPak Computer are fairly common.. the IDM is the high DC voltage going to the injectors..

NavPak are used late 97 and up till 2004 when the ECM-II came out (introduction of EGR)..

ultimately using a program like ServiceMaxx and watching for RPM while cranking is how you truly test the ECM reading the CPS. as for whether to use shims or not, I like the CPS as close to the reluctor wheel as i can get without hitting it.. and amazon or "dorman" brand CPS are pretty much not worth the plastic they are enclosed in..

while you have good HPOP pressure from the pump it doesnt mean the rail pressure is actually that high.. you would need to pull a spare plug from the head and gauge it there while cranking.. this tells you what the IPR is doing and also if you have an injector O-ring so blown out that the system cant build pressure.

Fuel pressure the same.. I wouldwant to test fuel rail pressure at the Test port near the bowl while cranking to make sure the fuel rail maintains pressure.

using Servicemaxx you can also watch the various HPOP related data as to how the ECM sees it..

since all of this is hard to watch at once i set up parameters and do a trip report recording while I crank.. including battery voltage as a watched parameter.. I know when my voltage drops way down that im cranking the starter.. and ill look at the data recorded as i play it back..

Servicemaxx J1708 is free if you can borrow a Nexiq USBlink or clone from someone (or buy one) you can download the software for free from navistar (now a division of Snap On for the tools)

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote