Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International FE300
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 72
Dt466e no start

Hey guys, I have a 2004 dt466e and just swapped from the green coolant to the red. I filled system with more fluid than I recovered (it was a little low) for a total of 8 gallons after I squeezed hoses and bled the pipe to the thermostat twice. I do not seem to have any air in the system and have valve to heaters closed and planned on topping off after opening. It cranks strong but no signs of firing. The coolant level module has been unplugged since I purchased the bus in April. I've had zero issues with starting and see nothing that I could have accidentally bumped while draining/filling fluid. Looking for any and all help! Bus is currently half way out of my shop so I cant even close my doors. Thanks!

Entech.medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Are you getting good fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing?
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Reinsch, I am getting good pressure and the bowl is full. The bus ran just fine just prior to changing the coolant, as I drove it in the shop. Does the coolant run fuel system or anything like that? May be silly but I'm just at my wits end here. Thanks for chiming in I appreciate any ideas!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Skoolie

Can you check for any codes stored in the ECM? There should be a diagnostic button under your dash that you can press. The light on your dash will flash a number of times. Codes are generally 3 digits long, so it will flash a number of times for the first digit, pause slightly, and begin to flash a number of times for the second digit, and so on and so on.

The other thing to check is to make sure you're getting good, clean power supplied to your ECM. Clean battery connections, check fuses, etc.

On the 466E if you're getting it to crank over and you have adequate fuel pressure the only other thing to check is how much oil pressure is being supplied to the injectors which isn't exactly easy to check.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, will check those asap!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Any emergency doors or windows open?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

No, and my bus will start with them open but I have seen some that wont. Good thought, thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
The coolant level sensor is a definite safety built into the starting circuit.

You say yours was disconnected for some reason. It must have been stuck in a normally closed position for the bus to start up until now. Someone has likely bypassed the sensor to fool the 'puter in days gone by allowing it to start.

So, something gave and the sensor opened up which may affect other parts of the start circuit causing a no start, whether it is connected or not.

Not sure how you can bleed the system of air without starting the engine to force air out. Can you explain that procedure ?
I would tend to think you still have air to get out before expecting it to light up.

John
Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entech.medic View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2004 dt466e and just swapped from the green coolant to the red. I filled system with more fluid than I recovered (it was a little low) for a total of 8 gallons after I squeezed hoses and bled the pipe to the thermostat twice. I do not seem to have any air in the system and have valve to heaters closed and planned on topping off after opening. It cranks strong but no signs of firing. The coolant level module has been unplugged since I purchased the bus in April. I've had zero issues with starting and see nothing that I could have accidentally bumped while draining/filling fluid. Looking for any and all help! Bus is currently half way out of my shop so I cant even close my doors. Thanks!
IDk why your bus isn't starting but have you thoroughly researched DT coolants?
The red stuff is what's supposed to be in there but many folks switched to something else because lots of owners had timing cover leaks and/or liner seals fail and it had something to do with the coolant.
Not trying to scare you, its just that I had a 2004 IC CE300 with a leaky timing cover. The coolant ate through the timing cover at the outlet to the block.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, it has been disconnected since I purchased it. It was unplugged from the sensor at the reserve tank. I squeezed all hoses repeatedly while topping off and i used the bleeder screw on the top of the tube e that goes to the thermostat. Similar to what you would do in a car/truck. I have researched coolants and although there are many many different opinions out there it seems the red heavy duty with sca is the general consensus. But I may be wrong?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Update: the bus will crank AND continue to run if a little squirt of ether is used. Its runs smoothly and no issues noticed to include revving it up. However, if I shut it down and try to restart it will not start without ether.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Genesis
After starting with ether, did you let it run until it reached normal operating temp and then try a restart?
Mannix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I did. And after it reached temp I tried to restart it without ether, it did not start. Now, with ether I can get it to start but it now will not continue to run. Once the ether burns it dies...
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Skoolie

How many miles or hours are on your bus? Still getting good fuel pressure?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
I did. And after it reached temp I tried to restart it without ether, it did not start. Now, with ether I can get it to start but it now will not continue to run. Once the ether burns it dies...

This says fuel issues not coolant issues then or no air for combustion or both.
Put the ether away and diagnose it.

John
Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I use the ether as a diagnostic "tool". It st least tells me it's not a sensor preventing the engine from running. It may be the "wrong" thing to do and I certainly am no mechanic but I did learn something by using it. I do believe I have a fuel issue. I did change the fuel filter yesterday but I have ran the bus for more than an hour, maybe even 2 after the filter replacement. It did the typical cough and die and then fired back up and continued to run without issue even being started probably a half a dozen times between the fuel filter change and the issue at hand. My fuel bowl does not look exactly like so many pictures and videos I've watched. It does not have a shrader valve and the plunger is either not a plunger or is seized. It can not be turned more than 1/8th of an inch in either direction nor can it be pulled out to be used as a plunger. So, I assumed it was just the same filter housing but didnt operate as a primer. I'm starting to second guess that and wondering if i dont have air in the fuel system. I just find it odd that it ran and started so many times and waited until I swapped coolant to show its self, but again I'm no mechanic and maybe it can happen that way. Honestly I'm finding this much harder to work on than any other truck or car I've ever touched, to include my 3 diesel pickups. Just so many variations to the same engine depending on what body it's in. If I research 2011 Chevy duramax I get videos/pictures/descriptions of my exact truck/engine. With these it may be a dt466e but it looks and is configured very differently than mine. Another example is everything unread says I should have a coolant filter. I bought a new one but for the life of me can not find it anywhere, and it's not exactly a tiny filter! So that's why I'm hoping someone here can share some wisdom! Thanks for the input/ideas you guys are throwing out!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Genesis
Quote:
Since it started and ran fine, then wouldn't start without ether but ran fine, then wouldn't start or run without ether, it sounds like a fuel issue. Have you rechecked for fuel pressure at the Schrader valve? Rechecked that the fuel filter is still full of fuel? Do you have a fuel in the tank?
Mannix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Bus has 7000 hours and 138k miles
Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Definitely have fuel in the tank, the fuel bowl is still full. Unfortunately I there is not a Schrader valve like I see in videos
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Here is my bowl
Attached Thumbnails
20190206_231019.jpg