Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Sometimes the internet is oddly coincidental/creepy. Not an hour after I’d found my culprit to my problem did I receive a reply to my thread asking if I’d ever figured it out! AMAZING!

I pulled the original IPR from the original HPOP. There’s a torn support o-ring behind the deepest o-ring. This I’ve yet to change and reinstall everything but I’m very confident that this is my issue. I will be changing the rings and IPR valve tomorrow and will let everyone know what the results are.
Attached Thumbnails
969F1637-A127-4A9F-8CEB-C15D94AD6DCD.jpg   EDBBC7CE-FD4F-433B-9128-B3C3F41C6613.jpg  

WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #22
Skoolie

Welp that did not solve my issue. While it was necessary to replace, the IPR Valve was not the CAUSE of the no start. I pulled an oil gallery plug from the side of the block and cranked the motor over for about 5 seconds. No oil. Nothing.

*being crying*

To be honest I should checked this earlier on. It was my fault in my lackadaisical diagnostic order of operations. But AAAAAAAANYWAY....

Looks like my issue points to the low pressure piling system. Damaged/worn oil pump, damaged/loose/clogged oil pickup tube, or a damaged/worn/stuck oil pressure regulator valve.

The easiest to check would be the pickup tube (drain oil, remove pan, inspect)

Next would be the oil pump (remove crank dampen set and inspect)

Lastly it could be the regulator valve. From what I can gather there are two on this engine. One in the oil filter adapter/oil cooler housing assembly, and one next to the oil pump. The one by the oil pump is more likely to clog/be stuck but requires REMOVING THE TIMING COVER to access!

If I have to delve deep into this engine I will document and post what I find. Stay tuned!
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 77
WARGEAR, did you ever find out exactly what it was? My bus is the same type and doing the same thing... It is frustrating to say the least when it just ran yesterday and now refuses to turn over. Thank you!
Mouseinthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #24
Skoolie

I have yet to delve into the cause. One of my symptoms is no oil pressure after having a great running engine weeks prior. I’m going to be draining the engine oil, dropping the pan, inspecting the pickup and screen and analyzing what I see. If all checks out the next step will be to pull the crank damper and inspect the oil pump. If nothing comes of that I’ll be pulling the front cover.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 77
Thank you for the update! I have a scanguage D on order and to be getting here on the 4th, I am hoping it is not the same problem as yours as it seems rather complex for my little brain and I am not a mechanic. I have to have this running and be gone by the 16th however and am still learning where all the parts are and what to check. Your posts have been extremely helpful! I will check the things you mentioned above and see if that is where my problem lies as well. Thank you so much for the update again.
Mouseinthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #26
Skoolie

Closing out this thread with success

I thought I’d return to close out this thread and let anyone wondering know what the issue was. It seems as though the oil pump had lost prime due to leaky seals and sitting for an extended period of time. After dismantling the oil pump assembly and replacing seals, repriming the pump, and reassembling all of it, she fired up for the first time in over a year.

I posted a more detailed reply on my build thread, but I still omitted some detail due to how long of a post it would be. Hopefully, my post can give someone some insight into what to look for if you have the same issue.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Thanks for the update. It's good to have an ending to issues like this.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #28

Here are the three things I would check first, check the power or ground connections at the battery, the IDM and ECM power source make sure they are all clean and tight, closely check all the fuse links on the hot side check for corrosion or melting on all of these connection points check the connection points on the small wires on the ground side also this is where the ECM and IDM ground repair as necessary these issues are widespread on these international trucks if all that checks out next, I would begin an electrical diagnosis with a scan tool. I'm assuming you don't have one, so in your case, I would first replace the cam position sensor CPS international part number 1885781C91. If the truck still won't start next, I would check the ICP sensor and high-pressure oil system check for any oil liking into the connector try to start the truck with the ICP sensor unplugged if it starts, the ICP sensor Is defective and needs to be replaced if there is oil in the connector the ICP sensor and pigtail need to be replaced as a pair the ICP sensor is located on the high-pressure oil gally this is on the driver's side of the head it has a three-wire triangular connector. If all this checks out, it's time to dive deeper into the high-pressure oil system. First, check the oil is full and in good condition, meaning 15w40 within regular service intervals. Next, check the low-pressure system. You will need 8psi while cranking to start if less than 8psi could have a bad oil pump or worst case main and rod bearings. If that checks out, move to the IPR valve, remove it from the hpop check for blown o-rings or metal debris. If debris is found, the hpop and IPR valve must be replaced if the o-rings are blown, this can be repaired with Alliant power service kit AP0003, but if the IPR valve is original, I would replace it with a new one. If all this checks out next, I would check for oil in the fuel. If oil is found in the fuel you will need to replace your injector O-rings.
hope this helps. Thank Jonny
Johnny_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dt466e, fuel, ipr, no start