Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Skoolie

DTA 360 turbo

I'm thinking the turbo is going out. How do I know for sure?
When driving it will pull a hill, the next hill which is less steep it will not pull as well.
If it starts to lug down I can put it in "N" & let the rpms go down to idle then throw it in "D" you can hear & feel the turbo working.

BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
first off, what transmission do you have? if you have the allison 545, you very well can be getting the transmission hot on a hill. so it wont pull the next one as well.. my DTA360 with an AT545. doesnt do hills real well period.. I slow down in the hills.. and the slower you are, the lower the engine RPM which means you are not going to get quite as much boost from the turbo.. these engines max out on power in the 2300-2500 RPM range.. running them higher can help you with a running start. as the turbo is spooled up when you hit the hill...

if you heasr any exhaust type leaks.. (sounds like sssshhhh or air rushing) when you are on it hard that can indicate a manifold leak which would affect turbo performance..

I had an exhaust gasket leak on mine. which made a difference when i fixed it.. I would notice the sound change. as i drove it.. before I fixed it I sounded more like a semi truck with a definite whistle as the turbo spooled up..

I dont hear my turbo nearly as much any more.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Skoolie

I have the 545 & no leaks. I need to add a cooler. #lazy. The hills are miles apart.
Thanks for the response.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote