Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
Econo switch

2006 dt466e in a ce 300 international bus Hey guys looking for info on my econo switch and if anyone has any idea what it really does and how ??? Does it save fuel ?

Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it puts the transmission into an econ mode where it Upshifts earlier to run lower engine RPMs.. as far as i know it does nothing to the engine..

when you got into the Maxxforce, it altered how the SEM worked during shifts also... but in 06 theres no SEM (SEM reduces engine output during shifts.. was done to increases transmission longevity)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
2006 dt466e in a ce 300 international bus Hey guys looking for info on my econo switch and if anyone has any idea what it really does and how ??? Does it save fuel ?
Great bus I've got a whole fleet of them.

Cadillac kid is right about economy mode with the transmission. However I can't say when we turn it on with our fleet we see significant fuel savings.

Our best fuel savings have come from deleting the egr system, increasing tire pressure from 90 to 105 psi, enabling 6th gear on the buses with Allison 3000s, and reminding our drivers that 65mph is fine for hauling around intoxicated adults to their next bar... They don't need to run at 75 just because they can lol.
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it puts the transmission into an econ mode where it Upshifts earlier to run lower engine RPMs.. as far as i know it does nothing to the engine..

when you got into the Maxxforce, it altered how the SEM worked during shifts also... but in 06 theres no SEM (SEM reduces engine output during shifts.. was done to increases transmission longevity)
Thank you just back from my 4,500 mile trip from Massachusetts to South dakota and yeah I noticed nothing with the econo switch
Old 09-08-2022, 07:38 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Great bus I've got a whole fleet of them.

Cadillac kid is right about economy mode with the transmission. However I can't say when we turn it on with our fleet we see significant fuel savings.

Our best fuel savings have come from deleting the egr system, increasing tire pressure from 90 to 105 psi, enabling 6th gear on the buses with Allison 3000s, and reminding our drivers that 65mph is fine for hauling around intoxicated adults to their next bar... They don't need to run at 75 just because they can lol.
Thanks, I've got a Allison 2500 hd transmission not sure if it has 6'th gear or not but I can do 75 mph towing a car and carrying a harley on the back wall outside the bus at the same time with rpm's at 2400 of it has 6'th his it would be good to unlock. I've got a new question though the radiator hose coming up from the bottom near the coolant reservoir is it supposed to be flat shaped in the section right behind the timing cover where the engine oil temperature switch is mine got a 1 foot section there that is flat shaped is it formed that way or is something wrong
Old 09-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
Thanks, I've got a Allison 2500 hd transmission not sure if it has 6'th gear or not but I can do 75 mph towing a car and carrying a harley on the back wall outside the bus at the same time with rpm's at 2400 of it has 6'th his it would be good to unlock. I've got a new question though the radiator hose coming up from the bottom near the coolant reservoir is it supposed to be flat shaped in the section right behind the timing cover where the engine oil temperature switch is mine got a 1 foot section there that is flat shaped is it formed that way or is something wrong
i'll reply on the other thread about the hose.

IIRC, the 2000 series was 6th unlockable if the tranny build date was after June of 2006. The monstrous "Allison MD3060 6th gear unlock thread" has a section where it goes into detail about the 2000s... page 17 or something like that . Cadillackid probably knows the exact cutoff date off the top of his head. Prior to that date you can still get 6th, but it requires adding some valve hardware modification in addition to the tcm reflash. The build date is on the stamped plate with the serial number on the side of the tranny. Its coded with a letter and year... A=January, B=February, etc.

Two of my CE300s have 2500PTS transmissions that were built before the cutoff date. They easily cruise 75mph, but at 2400 rpms they burn a little fuel doing it. The 3000s with 6th drop that down to about 2100 rpms. The work and $ required to add 6th on those pre-cutoff date 2000s wasn't worth the fuel savings... at least in our party bus applications.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote