Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2023, 12:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E/AT545
ELC not allowed dt466e B models

Found this in the manual. Cannot use ELC with with DT466E that have B model code.

Then later it says tstat "must" be used with "permanent type antifreeze".

My engine was built in 1998 but I think its technically a 99 model. I cannot for the life of me find my serial number or engine code. the valve cover label is gone. Ive looked on left side and right side (for both sets of years). Cannot find it.

Anyone know if I can use ELC (following full drain, flush, drain, flush, etc.). My current coolant is red but the filter is one with SCA additives. There are no nitrates registering. So either its ELC coolant and they didn't bother to change filter to blank one OR its just out of the additives.
Attached Thumbnails
coolanttype.PNG   thermostatcoolant.PNG  

GTSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSailor View Post

My engine was built in 1998 but I think its technically a 99 model. I cannot for the life of me find my serial number or engine code. the valve cover label is gone. Ive looked on left side and right side (for both sets of years). Cannot find
Call the parts dept at your local dealership and ask them for a “build sheet” on the bus.

It will contain the serial number for your engine…and much more !!!!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Call the parts dept at your local dealership and ask them for a “build sheet” on the bus.

Yup. I think with the VIN (or last 8 of the vin?) the International dealer will get you a build sheet and/or can answer your questions.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you *CAN* run a poly-organic style ELC coolant.. thats whay ive been running in my T444E (that came with green) for 6 years now..

im running AMSoil HD which is **NOT FINAL CHARGE!!!!**. it is designed for older and newer engines to be compatible with both..

ill be switching my DEV bus to that (DTA360) this year as its up for coolant flush and change.
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Found this in the manual. Cannot use ELC with with DT466E that have B model code.

Then later it says tstat "must" be used with "permanent type antifreeze".

My engine was built in 1998 but I think its technically a 99 model. I cannot for the life of me find my serial number or engine code. the valve cover label is gone. Ive looked on left side and right side (for both sets of years). Cannot find it.

Anyone know if I can use ELC (following full drain, flush, drain, flush, etc.). My current coolant is red but the filter is one with SCA additives. There are no nitrates registering. So either its ELC coolant and they didn't bother to change filter to blank one OR its just out of the additives.
Is that quote from a pdf that you have access to?

Use this thread to get access to more info your bus.https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/n...ase-38729.html
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. From pdf manual.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post

Definitely pull your build sheet. A dealer can do it but you can also do it yourself.

Check out this thread
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/navistar-oncommand-parts-database-38729.html
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird Conventional
Engine: DT466E, Allison 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you *CAN* run a poly-organic style ELC coolant.. thats whay ive been running in my T444E (that came with green) for 6 years now..

im running AMSoil HD which is **NOT FINAL CHARGE!!!!**. it is designed for older and newer engines to be compatible with both..

ill be switching my DEV bus to that (DTA360) this year as its up for coolant flush and change.
Hi, so according to the decal on the engine I have a 2000 C195 (Model Code). Would you recommend the Amsoil HD over the Rotella which apparently I can use?
Currently using Peak Fleet charge which is Not extended life and would like to upgrade.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:06 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much. This is sweeeeeeet!
Old 02-18-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Hi, so according to the decal on the engine I have a 2000 C195 (Model Code). Would you recommend the Amsoil HD over the Rotella which apparently I can use?
Currently using Peak Fleet charge which is Not extended life and would like to upgrade.

I dont have any experience with the rotella coolant.. there are different rotella's. the amSoil claims to be compatible with old and new, I think rotella makes a similar coolant and id trust rotella.. but the formulas like Final CHarge are not compatible with the older engines, I think it has to do with the Nitrites ..

fleet-charge is simply a green-formula (its pink) coolant that is pre0charged with SCA's.. so you still have to check levels.. you just dont add any additives at initial install or if you have to add any coolant fleetcharge has the proper mix already in the jug.. but its not an ELC..
Old 02-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

So i was able to get into the OnCommand site and found my build sheet. This is an awesome resource. I did not see a model code per se. like the manual references CH215 in a pic for engine model. I do have 190HP and 485 Torque so i guess that is low hp , high torque.

My engine was built in 1998 (model year 1999 with 469 code) so I am wondering if the manual I have is correct. From the site above it list exact same part number except R1 on the end. the manual i have has R8 on the end. I assume these are revision numbers.

So I am curious if there are significant enough differences that I should be worried or am I OK to proceed with ELC. My only thought was with intermittent use and a lot of sitting it might be better to have ELC. I am not opposed to putting conventional in there and monitoring SCA levels. I just want to protect my engine and give myself the best probability of doing that.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:25 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
So i was able to get into the OnCommand site and found my build sheet. This is an awesome resource. I did not see a model code per se. like the manual references CH215 in a pic for engine model. I do have 190HP and 485 Torque so i guess that is low hp , high torque.

My engine was built in 1998 (model year 1999 with 469 code) so I am wondering if the manual I have is correct. From the site above it list exact same part number except R1 on the end. the manual i have has R8 on the end. I assume these are revision numbers.

So I am curious if there are significant enough differences that I should be worried or am I OK to proceed with ELC. My only thought was with intermittent use and a lot of sitting it might be better to have ELC. I am not opposed to putting conventional in there and monitoring SCA levels. I just want to protect my engine and give myself the best probability of doing that.
Does your bus have a filter for the coolant? SCA Additive... Mine is a 2001 and has no coolant filter so SCA has to be done manually. That is why I would prefer ELC. Seems like the Amsoil HD might be a safe way to go although not sure if it is the best.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:41 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Does your bus have a filter for the coolant? SCA Additive... Mine is a 2001 and has no coolant filter so SCA has to be done manually. That is why I would prefer ELC. Seems like the Amsoil HD might be a safe way to go although not sure if it is the best.
Yes it has a filter with additive, but it looks very old. I tested the coolant. It has no nitrites (SCA measurement). Coolant is red. i guess to be safe I could just use conventional with the additives. Ugh. I already bought coolant and filter(non-SCA).
Old 02-19-2023, 06:42 AM   #14
Bus Geek

interesting, i didnt realize they were still using green coolant in 01, most everything ive seen was ELC by 01.. even the T444E (the water pump still had the coolant filter housing)...
Old 02-19-2023, 06:47 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I am thinking Bus district switched mine over at some point and didn't bother to change the filter. Is there a need for the filter with ELC? I have read about a "blank" but does that mean a filter with no SCA's (i.e. the filter is shooting blanks ) or literally like a cover of some sort?

I guess that is a question. How common is red conventional coolant?
Old 02-19-2023, 06:56 AM   #16
Bus Geek

ive never seen red conventional coolant.. but unfortunately it seems every manufacturer seems to make whatever color they want... i wish there was a true industry standard that was a reqiuirement (like electrical wiring codes).. but it doesnt seem to be the case..

honestly ive never cut open a coolant filter to see if its just a can with a tablet in it or if its actually a filter that filters out impurities and sediment in coolant..

I installed a "blank" or non SCA filter in my red bus(t444E) when i switched to the amsoil.. and it looked the same as an SCA filter.. same size spin-on can.. just didnt have the rattle of the tablet in it..

my DTA360 has the tableted filter in it... and its time for a change this year.. so that bus will be getting a complete flush and replacement with the Amsoil..

my gasoline bus has peak "gold" in it.. no idea why but I use the same..
Old 02-19-2023, 12:11 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
interesting, i didnt realize they were still using green coolant in 01, most everything ive seen was ELC by 01.. even the T444E (the water pump still had the coolant filter housing)...

Hi, currently using Peak Fleet charge (Almost a Pink Color) which is Not extended life. That's how I bought it. Was thinking of switching to Final Charge ELC, but now thinking about the Amsoil HD based on your recommendations.