Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Engine Tapping louder on one side of the engine?

Hey,

Was running the bus again today International 1983 Wayne 9L Diesel engine.

83k miles on the clock.

Now as I had it idleing whilst playing around with some electricals, I thought it sounded like it was tapping slightly more on the left hand side of the engine (when facing the front of the bus).

Bus wasn’t up to temperature or anything and hasn’t been driven really for a few months, only had the engine on for 20min intervals every couple of weeks or so.

Is the tapping of concern or could giving it a bit of a run be of benefit?

It’s not excessive, but sounds a bit more tappy than the other side.

Thanks guys

CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 9 liter hasto have its valves adjustred periodically... the lifters are solid.. so every so often you pull the valve covers and adjust the valves.. I dont have the specs or the rotational indexes for that motor to do it in the right order..

most often it consists of rotating the engine to where each cylinder has its valves closed... and using a feeler gauge, you turn the adjustment until the right amount of clearance is met. too little clearance and the valve maynot close all the way.. too loose tappets result in louder tap sound and valve timing / lift being off from spec ever so slightly..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 9 liter hasto have its valves adjustred periodically... the lifters are solid.. so every so often you pull the valve covers and adjust the valves.. I dont have the specs or the rotational indexes for that motor to do it in the right order..

most often it consists of rotating the engine to where each cylinder has its valves closed... and using a feeler gauge, you turn the adjustment until the right amount of clearance is met. too little clearance and the valve maynot close all the way.. too loose tappets result in louder tap sound and valve timing / lift being off from spec ever so slightly..

-Christopher

Ahh I see, I doubt it’s ever been done for a long time if I’m honest, be nice to find some info on how to do it. Would of been even nicer if they were hydraulic, but I suppose it’s because of her age.?
I’ll have to have a look into this, was hoping it was just because it wasn’t run for a good while

Thanks for your help
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCousins View Post
Ahh I see, I doubt it’s ever been done for a long time if I’m honest, be nice to find some info on how to do it. Would of been even nicer if they were hydraulic, but I suppose it’s because of her age.?
I’ll have to have a look into this, was hoping it was just because it wasn’t run for a good while

Thanks for your help

it could be..but adjusting the valves on older diesels was considered a normal maintenance item.. I forget the interval.. on my old Pegueot diesel I used to do it once a year.. I usually had to adjust 1 or 2.. most times not alot.. when I got that car most were off by a 1/4 turn or more.. other things were wrong in that engine so I rebuilt it.. orthers can chime in but I dont consider adjusting the valves an urgent item.. if its tapping loud enough that its a definitely RAP-RAP-RAP. Id be inclined to pull the valve cover and make sure something isnt bent or broken...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Almost There

That’s true,

I would like to have a look at it.

I’ve done this on a car and a single cylinder engine, but unsure about a bus, I wouldn’t know how to start with cranking over the engine, do we take injectors out? Not even sure how you get to crank it over?

May even be worth seeing if a lorry mechanic can do it, but wouldn’t mind having a look myself..

All I’ve found so far is:

i have one of the 9.0 engines and need to adjust the intake and exhaust valves there is a pointer on the timing cover just above the harmonic balancer and i am guessing that there are marks on balancer i have searched everywhere and cant find anything about it if someone could point me in the rite direction it would be really app. thank you evans
Baggs

Posted - 01/05/2011 : 11:10:20
From what I'm reading in one of my old I.H. manuals, the pointer you mention is your index pointer. The degree's of advance and T.D.C are on the balancer it's self. On a engine of that vintage you may have to look closely to see.

Rotate the engine in operating direction to T.D.C. for no.1 cylinder(on compression stroke).
Adjust the following valves: no. 1 int and exh, no.3 exh, no.5 int, no.7 exh, no.2 int, no.4 int, no.8 exh (.012) for intake valves clearance and (.016) for exhaust valves clearance.

Rotate the engine 360 degrees to T.D.C. for no.6 cylinder ( on compression stroke). adjust the following valves: no.3 int, no.5 exh, no.7 int, no.2 exh, no.4 exh, no.6 int and exh, no.8 int.

Posted - 01/05/2011 : 5:57:07 PM
thanks Baggs that's the information i needed i had searched all over the net trying find it the 9.0 is just about history I wouldn't fool with it but the engine is very dependable and will start up in extreme cold weather without any help ty evans

If anyone has an idea or manual they could point me in the right direction. I would be very pleased! Cheers guys
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Rotate the engine in operating direction to T.D.C. for no.1 cylinder(on compression stroke).
Adjust the following valves: no. 1 int and exh, no.3 exh, no.5 int, no.7 exh, no.2 int, no.4 int, no.8 exh (.012) for intake valves clearance and (.016) for exhaust valves clearance.

Rotate the engine 360 degrees to T.D.C. for no.6 cylinder ( on compression stroke). adjust the following valves: no.3 int, no.5 exh, no.7 int, no.2 exh, no.4 exh, no.6 int and exh, no.8 int.

That is all the information that you need. You need a barring tool which is a device that slides into a hole on the bellhousing and it engages the teeth on the flywheel. Your helper than uses a ratchet to turn it. Clean your damper and if your lucky you will have a top dead center mark for you to reference. Turning the motor with the barring tool wil let you find TDC if there is no mark and when number 1 cylinder has both valves closed that is about tdc.. From there it is just feeler guages and a box wrench and barring the engine over. No need to remove injectors.
Good Luck Joe
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tapping