Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Power loss along with excess blow by is a big oof.

Head gasket, rings, liner, piston, etc.

Is it running rough at all?

When cranking it over, does the starter sound like it speeds up at any given point? What I mean is as the engine cranks... starter is turning at an even speed but then spikes and slows back down. That would be a sign of low compression on one hole.

Good luck bud!
Starts perfect and no noticed issues at idle. On the road it felt jerky at times. Like for a second it had normal power then back to a dog. Back and forth like that for miles.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:56 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Low power and loss of "hill climbing" ability, especially if it ran well and pulled strong previously - my first thought would be "when was the fuel filter(s) last changed?" That is perhaps *THE* #1 cause of that complaint especially in the trucking business. Even recently replaced fuel filters can get clogged if the fuel has been in the tank for some time. For this reason many of us recommend keeping extra fuel filters in the bus (and do so ourselves), especially if you use a not-so-common filter.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Low power and loss of "hill climbing" ability, especially if it ran well and pulled strong previously - my first thought would be "when was the fuel filter(s) last changed?" That is perhaps *THE* #1 cause of that complaint especially in the trucking business. Even recently replaced fuel filters can get clogged if the fuel has been in the tank for some time. For this reason many of us recommend keeping extra fuel filters in the bus (and do so ourselves), especially if you use a not-so-common filter.

all it takes is one tanl of crappy fuel to plug up a fuel filter so even new ones are worth checking if it seems like the bus is fuel bogging..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #24
Bus Nut

After getting home I was so frustrated that the bus has been sitting ever since. I just got a Bluefire adapter to find the fault and thanks to Cadillackid for the help.

I was able to get a fault code:

164-4 Engine - (PID) Injection Control Pressure. Voltage Below Normal, Or Shorted to Low Source.

Any idea what that means?
Old 07-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I had a similar problem to yours last winter, only without the smoke. Mine required a new HEUI pump which is not cheap, but at least it's less than a rebuild.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I had a similar loss of power and low voltage (to fuel pump) code after blowing a tire tread. A relay cut power to the fuel pump. Could it be an electrical issue to one of those components?
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Usually a weak HPOP will trigger a 333 code. I’ve seen the code he has from trying to start the bus with a low battery thus why it’s important to note whether it’s active or inactive, it’s ok for it to come up every once in a while but I will say that after I changed my ICP out that I no longer get that code ever, but I also installed a battery charger to keep it topped off .. that occurred at the same time since I was changing tge HPOP to a higher output model.

Clear it and keep the batteries charged and see if it comes back. For some reason bluefire doesn’t display HPOP ICP unless they added it. I added it in the source code of the windows version and it worked but my iOS doesn’t show it
Old 07-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Would the 164-4 code cause the low engine power when driving and oil from the blow by tube?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
Would the 164-4 code cause the low engine power when driving and oil from the blow by tube?

Loss of power... possibly. A decrease in voltage to anything that controls fuel output could certainly decrease power output.

Increase in blow-by... highly unlikely. Knowing how the drive went, I'd want to run a compression test and see how healthy the cylinders are before going much further. The increase in blow-by could be a fluke... but mixed with a sudden loss of power doesn't sound good. Getting the numbers should tell the tale.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #30
Bus Geek

pretty much what 4BT says.. increase in blowby is physical.. either overfilled oil or a bad injector dumping fuel in the oil thinning it out so it blows more out, or worn / broken engine causing excessive blow-by which will pick up extra oil and blow it out. . or coolant in the oil.. any number of things can cause lots of oil out the blow-by.

both of my IH diesels are very susceptible to over-filled oil.. if I overfill by even a little i get oil out the blow-by tube..

the code 164.. it Can cause loss of power if it is tellign the ECM that the oil pressure is higher than what it really is..

so how it works..

1. the HPOP generates extremely high oil pressure to be used by the fuel injectors to actuate sending fuel to the cylinders.

2. the IPR valve is a regulator.. the computer can call for it to go from 0-100% when the IPR regulates to a higher duty cycle the HPOP pressure goes up.

3. the ICP tells the computer what the HPOP pressure is.. so if the computer knows it wants 2000 PSI then it regulates the IPR until the ICP tells it that there is 2000 PSI of pressure..

now lets say the compurter calls for 2000 PSI.. the ICP tells the computer its at 2000 PSI but the REAL actual pressure is 1000 PSI you would not necessarily set any codes because the computer thinks all is normal, sensor reading is within range and it thunks the HPOP pressure is at 2000.. you'll not see a code but your engine wont run right...

if it goes the other way.. lets say the computer calls for 2000 PSI and regulates the IPR till ICP says 2000 PSI.. but the REAL pressure is actually 3000 PSI.. you may notice a bit of boisier injectors and the engine may seem quite spunky..

BUT

what happens when the computer calls for real 3000 PSI and the ICP never reads back anything above 2000? despite the IPR being commanded to maximum.. you'll get a code 333 that the actual cant reach the desired.. WARN light comes on and engine goes to LIMP mode.

code 164 that you have for low voltage essentially means that at some point (usually key on engine off) the ICP shows lower voltage than it should ever show even when reading 0 PSI..