Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

First steps to lean more about my bus

Hi,
Just bought an 05 IC bus with a DT466E engine and an Allison transmission. The first thing I learned: It is extremely difficult to find technical information about my bus. Nothing helpful on Youtube, the Internet, the manufacturer will not help but referred me to dealers. One grudgingly sent me an Operator's manual which is nearly useless. Many of the things don't apply to my bus and many I need are not in the manual. Like, what do the green, red and white air tank drain valves go to and why are they color coded, or what does the MODE switch do on my transmission panel, etc.. In fact neither youtube or the internet or the manual could tell me something as basic as how to read check engine trouble codes.

My first question is, why is it so hard to find information? Bus mechanics must have a way to learn all this stuff so there must be materials out there, like detailed repair manuals. How could I get those?

Also, does anyone know how to read codes? I came armed with my ODBC reader but found no port where it would fit.

Thank you kindly

pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Can prob find a cd rom on ebay.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

Reading here and asking questions will get you a long way. Also, your local dealer can be a great resource. Take them your VIN and they can provide you with a build sheet that will tell you all about how the bus was ordered/equipped.

Regarding OBDII.... Medium duty vehicles don't have ODBII. They have J1708 or J1939. It is somewhat similar in function but takes entirely different equipment to read/program.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Like PNW_Steve said take the time to use this forum to research issues, components, and other gubbins you may have limited knowledge on. This place is a wealth of information. That being said if you want hard copy books you’re going to have to spend $$$ to get them. The bus garages you speak of pay through the teeth for software/TMs. Maybe you’ll find some used ones on eBay or at a library.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Skoolie

Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
Same here, I have run into a lot of difficulty trying to do the research and learning.

My bus has the Cummins 5.9, so at least it's easy to learn about the engine from all the dodge truck forums.

But everything else is tough to learn. The air brake system is complex and I can't find part numbers for anything on it.
All sorts of weird electrical relays located all over the bus.
etc.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
It would be helpful to have a library on here to be able to lookup technical drawings, parts and service manuals, etc.
Trouble is there are so many manufacturers, models, etc. And they change things way too often, thus requiring further investment in order to stay current.
Additionally, all of the above documents cost $$ and would take many hours of someone's time to scan them and post for all to see.

So, who's got what, and what are you willing to share with your fellow brother and sister Skoolies???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
With a little searching, I was able to find service and operator manuals online for my 2002 A3RE.

I have also found my local Bluebird dealer to be a great resource. Nice folks!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
With a little searching, I was able to find service and operator manuals online for my 2002 A3RE.

I have also found my local Bluebird dealer to be a great resource. Nice folks!
I searched Ebay and Amazon. Nothing. I typed in 2005 IC bus CE300 repair manual. Even just IC bus does not give usable results. Thank you
pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I noticed in almost all of your posts, you start by stating your bus' pedigree, which is good. Can't nobody help you not knowing nothin'!
Be a lot easier, not to mention saving you a pile of keystrokes, if to go to your profile (User CP), and fill it's specs out there...
One and done!