Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
Fuel pressure tester

Can anyone tell me why almost all fuel pressure test kits say not for use with diesel or flex fuels. I mean that statement basically says here's a fuel pressure test kit that can not be used on any vehicle as most cars use some percent of ethanol or methanol in the gasoline and that constitutes flex fuel. And diesel is the rest. Why do they say this ???

Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Why not just install a proper fuel pressure gauge between the engine's fuel pump and the secondary filter? I did that some years ago, along with an electric fuel priming pump, so now it's easy to see if the engine's getting its 60-plus PSI of fuel, and if it isn't I can more easily troubleshoot the problem. I use stainless-braided PTFE fuel line to the gauge: so far so good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
The problem isn't with diesels or fuels per se...its because of the high pressures after the injection pump and and some point, I can almost guarantee some idiot hooked up a 100 psi gauge after the pump and had it explode ion his hand. Therefore, the lawyers make them put that on the box. If you keep it on the low pressure side, you'll have no problems.
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Your cheaper testers might not have internal part compatibility with flex fuels or diesel. It might not fail instantly, but over time and continued use it will.

Some might be like jjaj823 says and they don't want to be liable for you being stupid with it.

I've used our pressure gauge set in the shop on diesel, gas, and e85 to no detriment of the equipment, but it's not a cheap set by any standards either.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
Skoolie

Well best I can tell my fuel pressure at the shrader test port in the front of the common rail into the head through to the injectors is supposed to be 60 psi on my 2006 dt466e and that should be the case all the way back to the fuel filter housing but I would like to know what the pressure is in the filter housing and I don't. I'll have to check on that. I ended up picking up a gauge that goes up to 200 psi and is rated for diesel with a 6' long hose on it.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
Well best I can tell my fuel pressure at the shrader test port in the front of the common rail into the head through to the injectors is supposed to be 60 psi on my 2006 dt466e and that should be the case all the way back to the fuel filter housing but I would like to know what the pressure is in the filter housing and I don't. I'll have to check on that. I ended up picking up a gauge that goes up to 200 psi and is rated for diesel with a 6' long hose on it.
Your high pressure shouldn’t happen until after the pump…I don’t have the manual in front of me to verify, but you should be able to measure the pressure at the outlet of the fuel filter without a problem. I have seen lots of folks put a permanent gauge on the outlet side.
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
The problem ...... the lawyers make them put that on the box.
Oh how far those lawyers have taken us from Darwin. Warning labels everywhere.
When I was in kindergarten and 5 years old I used my brand spanking new Radio Shack 101 electrical projects kit to build a radio. Know what the kit had for an antenna? A strand of wire with a metal spade on the end. The instructions said to look at the electrical outlet and insert the spade into the wider slot of the outlet thus using the house "neutral" side as an antenna.
Get a lawyer to sign off on that today!!!!!!
LOL
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
Can anyone tell me why almost all fuel pressure test kits say not for use with diesel or flex fuels. I mean that statement basically says here's a fuel pressure test kit that can not be used on any vehicle as most cars use some percent of ethanol or methanol in the gasoline and that constitutes flex fuel. And diesel is the rest. Why do they say this ???
As has been stated above, it could be that the pressure tester cautions you're reading could be for only a gasoline system or it might contain parts incompatible with the fuel you want to test.

In a diesel engine system, the pressures at the filters aren't too extreme, but if you somehow hooked into the fuel rail after the high-pressure injection pump you'd have to have a tester that can handle upwards of 30,000 to 40,000 psi.

Don't blame lawyers, it's folks with no knowledge or common sense that try things, get injured, then want to sue someone because of their idiocy.
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
You can still blame lawyers for trying to get bs money when they shouldn’t represent the dummies in the first place and tell them to quit being dumb.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:21 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post
You can still blame lawyers for trying to get bs money when they shouldn’t represent the dummies in the first place and tell them to quit being dumb.
Or just let Darwin take care of the issue like we did in the good old days before ignorant juries that award civil settlements to thieves who fall through the roof of the house they're robbing (and other such stupid awards).
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Why not just install a proper fuel pressure gauge between the engine's fuel pump and the secondary filter? I did that some years ago, along with an electric fuel priming pump, so now it's easy to see if the engine's getting its 60-plus PSI of fuel, and if it isn't I can more easily troubleshoot the problem. I use stainless-braided PTFE fuel line to the gauge: so far so good.

John
Sounds like a good Idea John