Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggedone View Post
Really no substitute for the torque wrench after you’ve got them close with the torque multiplier.
I agree, that's the right way to do it. Just not sure it makes sense for me to invest in one at this point in my life.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
This conversation made me start wondering, so I headed straight over to Youtube and found this nifty idea:

If you can use your friend's torque wrench to get them correct once, can you then use the torque multiplier for any future work like the video says?
I'll definitely try that.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I use an impact wrench to remove lug nuts. Makes life easier. I torque the lug nuts by hand with a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench.
And I use blocks to support the bus while the wheel(s) is/are removed.
If I am going to be working under the bus while the wheels are off I use 3 points of support. If one let's go I still have a chance to escape........
Johnthebusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebusboy View Post
I use an impact wrench to remove lug nuts. Makes life easier. I torque the lug nuts by hand with a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench.
And I use blocks to support the bus while the wheel(s) is/are removed.
If I am going to be working under the bus while the wheels are off I use 3 points of support. If one let's go I still have a chance to escape........
Checking the brakes or changing the tires are the only times I'd be doing work requiring the wheels to be off. In either case I won't need to get under it but I agree with your take on it. If my king pins need to be done I know of a place that is known for doing that job well and for a reasonable price.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Here is a link to a unit on a 1999 Southwind motorhome--

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/Bo...r%20Manual.pdf
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
Here is a link to a unit on a 1999 Southwind motorhome--

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/Bo...r%20Manual.pdf
Thanks PorchDog, that's a great resource. I can't send a thanks from my phone but I really appreciate that you provided that.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
You are welcome. I have that same system on my 1996 BlueBird.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Thought I'd add a post to this thread because I was under the bus to tighten the exhaust downpipe to the muffler

I figured as long as I was down there I'd get a few pictures of brake stuff.

I found the ABS distribution unit so thought I'd get a shot of it for this thread.

I also wanted a few pics of the e-brake.

Shots of the shoes, they're engaged of course.

I've been wondering if the e-brake is serviceable without removing the driveshaft and it appears it is. Looks like that drum will clear the u-joint after removal of the bolts. That's a load off my mind. It means I can service the e-brake anytime pretty easily - as long as I chock the wheels. It'd suck to end up being a wheel chock.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:23 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
I was nearly a wheel chock.

Around a year ago I was doing a transmission upgrade and popped out the driveshaft. This was on my '99 International BB with the 7.3. The moment it popped out the bus started roll and I immediately realized I forgot to chalk the tires!!

Luckily my driveway was only slightly angled away from the house so it started to roll slowly and I had time to think. I considered letting it roll over me but the front axle is so low to the ground that would have most likely ended in disaster.

The bus started picking up speed! I moved the fastest I have moved in quite some time and got out of there. I was under and kind of behind the entrance stairs so had no direct egress option. I had to inch worm down faster than the bus was moving and then roll/slide out!

I watched the bus, while thankful to still be unscathed, roll into our cul-d-sac, powerless to do anything. Miraculously, it missed every car, avoided the fire hydrant, hit the opposite curb and stopped! Whew!

I got really lucky. Then I spent the next 30 minutes pushing and pulling it back into the driveway with my F350. The tires were well chalked after that!
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post
Around a year ago I was doing a transmission upgrade and popped out the driveshaft. This was on my '99 International BB with the 7.3. The moment it popped out the bus started roll and I immediately realized I forgot to chalk the tires!!

Luckily my driveway was only slightly angled away from the house so it started to roll slowly and I had time to think. I considered letting it roll over me but the front axle is so low to the ground that would have most likely ended in disaster.

The bus started picking up speed! I moved the fastest I have moved in quite some time and got out of there. I was under and kind of behind the entrance stairs so had no direct egress option. I had to inch worm down faster than the bus was moving and then roll/slide out!

I watched the bus, while thankful to still be unscathed, roll into our cul-d-sac, powerless to do anything. Miraculously, it missed every car, avoided the fire hydrant, hit the opposite curb and stopped! Whew!

I got really lucky. Then I spent the next 30 minutes pushing and pulling it back into the driveway with my F350. The tires were well chalked after that!
Yep, there are certainly ramifications for going brain dead when working on a vehicle that weighs 15 to 20k lbs. Before I head out for real I'd like to get properly sized chocks cause a vehicle with 22" wheels will go right over a chock for cars - ask me how I know.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Yep, there are certainly ramifications for going brain dead when working on a vehicle that weighs 15 to 20k lbs. Before I head out for real I'd like to get properly sized chocks cause a vehicle with 22" wheels will go right over a chock for cars - ask me how I know.
Harbor freight has rubber wheel chocks, that was one of the first things I bought when I almost bought a bus in 2019. Now they stay with my bus and get used any time I park it long term!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Harbor freight has rubber wheel chocks, that was one of the first things I bought when I almost bought a bus in 2019. Now they stay with my bus and get used any time I park it long term!
I have 6 or 8 of those which I use with various trailers and vehicles. Problem is when you're talking about a 22" wheel/ tire you can go right over one of those and barely notice. I'd be reluctant to trust those with my life when used with a bus or heavy truck. In conjunction with a parking brake OK, by themselves on a slope I don't know. Be interesting to hear others' opinion about that because my experience isn't extensive.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I have 6 or 8 of those which I use with various trailers and vehicles. Problem is when you're talking about a 22" wheel/ tire you can go right over one of those and barely notice. I'd be reluctant to trust those with my life when used with a bus or heavy truck. In conjunction with a parking brake OK, by themselves on a slope I don't know. Be interesting to hear others' opinion about that because my experience isn't extensive.
That is a good point, I know for a fact I can roll over one on soft ground, but if I’m on pavement I definitely notice it’s there. I could probably apply enough throttle to go over it but I would trust it to hold the bus standing still. I’d probably add more chocks if I was jacking it up.

Keep in mind I live in the flatlands, if I lived in hill country I’d definitely look for 3 or 4 ways to immobilize the bus if I were parking on an incline and especially if I planned to work on it!
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
That is a good point, I know for a fact I can roll over one on soft ground, but if I’m on pavement I definitely notice it’s there. I could probably apply enough throttle to go over it but I would trust it to hold the bus standing still. I’d probably add more chocks if I was jacking it up.

Keep in mind I live in the flatlands, if I lived in hill country I’d definitely look for 3 or 4 ways to immobilize the bus if I were parking on an incline and especially if I planned to work on it!
Yea, I was thinking about slopes. I backed over one this spring on packed gravel. After I went over it I realized what I'd done but it got me to wondering about it. A big vehicle gets away from you and mayhem will likely ensue

On my sloped driveway I have 3 of those in use plus the parking brake. If, for whatever reason, it got loose it would go right through my neighbor's hedge and into his new addition.