Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Does anyone know if there is a prime pump on a CAT 3208T?

J

juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I'm pretty satisfied. Mine does vibrates a bit at idle, especially cold but as soon as I kick the rpms up it smooths way out. I am told it sounds like a trash truck from the end of the street but at speed its fairly quiet at the front of the bus.

Starts easier than the 7.3 in my pickup. Got an oil seap on intake side of the motor. I think the fan setup on this bus will give me more fits than the engine will.
Ah, I see. EVERY bus I've had has shook at idle and if you kick the rpm's up even by like 20 it goes away.
With my 3.42 rear end I can have conversations while driving down the road and i don't even have to shout.

The oil coolers can seep. That's on the intake side. There's a fix for it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Every engine will vibrate a little at idle. If you want to, change the motor mounts and see if it helps. Most of the time it will.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
We have Maxxforce 7s and 9s, about 13 of each. God what a pile of junk they are, but they are paid for and make enough to keep fixing them. The 7s are in our IC ACs, which resemble Terrastars. The 9s are in IC HCs, I think we've had to put a new engine in every one of those. Nearly all of the 9s sound terrible and are very loud while they are idling.
I get the whole paid for thing, I deal with it myself. Luckily, most of my customers listened when I told/tell them to not buy them.

The 7's are trash imo, best thing to do next pm is fill all the filters full of sand and solve all of your problems at once. The 9's aren't much better, but I hate the 7's.

The only maxxforce that is halfway decent is the maxxforce dt, which is nothing more then an upgraded 466, and even those they managed to f-up.

If I'm thinking correctly, those all should be able to be primed in the same fashion as the auto start engines I alluded to before. Key on for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds. Repeat that a dozen or more times and the filters should be primed.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I get the whole paid for thing, I deal with it myself. Luckily, most of my customers listened when I told/tell them to not buy them.

The 7's are trash imo, best thing to do next pm is fill all the filters full of sand and solve all of your problems at once. The 9's aren't much better, but I hate the 7's.

The only maxxforce that is halfway decent is the maxxforce dt, which is nothing more then an upgraded 466, and even those they managed to f-up.

If I'm thinking correctly, those all should be able to be primed in the same fashion as the auto start engines I alluded to before. Key on for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds. Repeat that a dozen or more times and the filters should be primed.
Lol with any luck one of our 9s will be written off by insurance, it got into a tussle with a Honda Civic that wasn't paying attention. Bent the service door frame up pretty bad, they had to evacuate everyone over the driver's seat. Even then they just put an engine in it the other month so it might join a Maxxforce DT in the corner of lot as a parts source.

I'll give that a try, though it'll be hard to hear anything as the 9s have that fancy high pressure hydraulic brake system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Ah, I see. EVERY bus I've had has shook at idle and if you kick the rpm's up even by like 20 it goes away.
With my 3.42 rear end I can have conversations while driving down the road and i don't even have to shout.

The oil coolers can seep. That's on the intake side. There's a fix for it.
Interesting, though I thought those were on the exhaust side? At least that's why they gave me an o-ring for the turbo oil feed while I was buying a reseal kit at my CAT dealer. In any event perhaps we should continue this in the CAT forum?
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleed, filters, fuel