Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #1

Hits 35 then stalls

Hi all!

I just recently purchased a 2000 international dt466. Only has a little over 13k miles and 700 hours. It’s at the mechanics right now and they’re telling me everything is mechanically sound and there’s no problem with the fuel tank or filter. They’re testing to see if it has a governor set and that’s why it’s stalling. But they may not have the software to change it.

To my question

Has anybody else had any issues with their skoolie stalling at a certain speed? Or have any insight as to what it could be?

Thebrogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my big bus is geared for 49 mph.
but i have never heard of one set at 35?
where are you located?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
my big bus is geared for 49 mph.
but i have never heard of one set at 35?
where are you located?
Were you able to change it and did yours stall when you went over 49? It stalled to where I had to put it into neutral and turn the key to keep going. I’m located in Orlando and it’s 25/26ft long.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
if yours is governed for 35 which that seems a little to slow for safety then it would be a parameter change in the compute.
mine is all mechanical so for me to fix mine its a rear gear change and with that i would want to upgrade the transmission and change the governor spring in the motor which means i would almost need to update the cooling system.
for you i think you have something else going on instead of it being governed that low.
but i dont know the newer buses.
if they cant find anything in the computer then a few things to check is the fuel pressures and filters.
the quality of the fuel?
is your turbo spooling like it should be
is your wastegate functioning?
just things to look at.
any check engine lights or trouble codes that can be pulled.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Is this a bus? Where did you get it from to only have 13K? If it stalls (cuts off i assume) at 35 can you drive it 30 with no problems? Was there any check of codes stored?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrogster View Post
a 2000 international dt466. Only has a little over 13k miles and 700 hours.
Buy a BlueFire and then come back and tell us what the real mileage is. Buy direct from their website and use the code "AMAZON" for 15% off.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
if yours is governed for 35 which that seems a little to slow for safety then it would be a parameter change in the compute.
mine is all mechanical so for me to fix mine its a rear gear change and with that i would want to upgrade the transmission and change the governor spring in the motor which means i would almost need to update the cooling system.
for you i think you have something else going on instead of it being governed that low.
but i dont know the newer buses.
if they cant find anything in the computer then a few things to check is the fuel pressures and filters.
the quality of the fuel?
is your turbo spooling like it should be
is your wastegate functioning?
just things to look at.
any check engine lights or trouble codes that can be pulled.

Link to the bus and it’s specs.

It’s at the mechanics so I’ll have to call him tomorrow and ask those questions and see if he’s checked them. I know the oils been changed, oil filter and a few other things were done just as general maintenance. The fuel filter and tank has been checked and they said that the filter was clean and that the tank was good as well. They were checking the computer next to see if it was that but they didn’t mention anything if it may be the rear gear. They’ve also driven it around and said it doesn’t seem to be mechanical as it runs great.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Is this a bus? Where did you get it from to only have 13K? If it stalls (cuts off i assume) at 35 can you drive it 30 with no problems? Was there any check of codes stored?
Yea it seemed to drive great and run smoothly at 25-30 but once it hit 35 it stalled and had to be put in neutral and turn the key over. Yea it‘s actual mileage it only had one owner and that was lake county school. I posted a link to it and it’s specs just waiting for it to be approved. The mechanic said everything mechanical was working good, the fuel filter was clean, oil changed as well as the oil filter and some other general maintenance after we purchased it.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrogster View Post
Yea it seemed to drive great and run smoothly at 25-30 but once it hit 35 it stalled and had to be put in neutral and turn the key over. Yea it‘s actual mileage it only had one owner and that was lake county school. I posted a link to it and it’s specs just waiting for it to be approved. The mechanic said everything mechanical was working good, the fuel filter was clean, oil changed as well as the oil filter and some other general maintenance after we purchased it.
Don't have much to go on. I am going to have some doubt about it being a governor setting in the ecm. It a governor causes a 466e to shut down then there would be a lot of buses sitting on the side of the road. I do believe there is an ecm issue but probably a bad wire, relay or something like an idm. The codes could be checked but you don't currently have access.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
A governor setting would just be a limiting factor...so either the RPMs won't increase or the speed won't increase. In neither case would it cause the engine to actually stall and quit. This sounds very much like a fuel restriction and delivery issue to me. If it's not the fuel filters (there may be two, a primary and secondary) then I'd be looking at the fuel pick-up tube, fuel lines (for kinks or cracks, which suck air), or the fuel pump. It might be worth putting a piece of clear hose in the fuel line near the pump, temporarily, which will allow you to see if there are bubbles in the fuel...which would indicate it's sucking air. And make sure the fuel return line is also clear - it might be good to blow some air through it.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
The only time I've ever heard about anything close to that was limp mode on an automatic transmission.

If it's got an auto, I would check the speed sensors and other electrical/sensing accoutrements because there's a slim possibility that something like that could be feeding back to the engine and possibly trigger some kind of other cascade nonsense.

The other thing that possibly comes to mind is that there's possibly some other engine sensor that is bugging out somehow that could be triggering some kind of safety shut-off as well.

Good luck with the troubleshooting, that sounds like a royal PITA to figure out.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #12

Hey all! Figured I’d give an update. The mechanics been short staffed but finally got around to it. He said he drove it around once and got it up to 55 and didn’t have the same problem I had. Side note does have a governor set at 55. He drove it around one more time after verifying all the lines were good, fuel tank and lines were good etc. and it cut off on him while driving. Once it happened to him he said it was definitely electrical. So they’re working on the electrical today to try and fix it.