Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
How much is reasonable for a 97' DT466e Air Compressor replacement + labor?

I know this should be something I can "just google", but despite whatever I search (including special search functions) I still keep getting AC compressor replacements. I've tried a few semi forums and got prices for their trucks, but none i found was specifically a 466e (regardless of year).

I need the entire compressor replaced. I've found a few prices for the component itself ranging from $250 on eBay to around $350 - $400 remanned ($250+ core charge).

However I can't seem to figure out what exactly is generally used to replace parts at a semi/large truck shop - brand new or remanned (or used?). I also can't seem to find any information about how long it generally takes nor the labor charges.

I have a good mechanic recommended, but I kind of want to know the general estimates from online before I blindly make a payment.

It's going into a 1997 Thomas Vista. The prices I'm basic the compressor cost on the is MAXXFORCE 7.
Attached Thumbnails
20190107_230034 - Copy.jpg  

geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Yeah, those prices look to be in the range. Vanderhaags show a reman for $328.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/Search-R...air-compressor
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I did not find a standard rate for labor (number of hours for the job) with the searches I did on the 'net either. I saw one post that said "1.5hours for a steering pump and 2.0 hours with an air compressor" but that really was not related to replacement of the air compressor itself. I would expect it to be a simple replacement. Anyone else on this list know how long it takes to replace the compressor?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I did not find a standard rate for labor (number of hours for the job) with the searches I did on the 'net either. I saw one post that said "1.5hours for a steering pump and 2.0 hours with an air compressor" but that really was not related to replacement of the air compressor itself. I would expect it to be a simple replacement. Anyone else on this list know how long it takes to replace the compressor?
Probably a couple hours. Should be pretty simple.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I paid a few hundred bucks for the reman bendix compressors i got.. the 466E uses gear drive, its a little more labor intensive to get it outta there but not terrible.. im guessing a shop would probably bill 4 hours for it.. you need to make sure you get the correct one.. there are literally dozens if not more part numbers for those..

I'd call a navistar dealer and get the correcrt part number (just call in and act like you need to buy one.. give them last 8 of your VIN... ask for part number and pricing).. then go to work on the internet to cross the part number. in my case, finditparts.com had the best price on the 2 compressors (2 busses) ive replaced. you'll need a spider puller to pull the gear off of the shaft but shouldnt need a press to put it on the new compressor.. the jam nut will press it on.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Why are you changing the compressor? If it grenaded itself you'll have to flush the lines and all the other components in the system, which takes a lot more time.

Most places will charge an hour just to evac, vacuum, and charge an ac system. Add into that probably an hour or so to change the compressor out.

You can find compressors cheaper online then what the shop will sell you. However, I don't know of any shop that will warrant the work with customer supplied parts, meaning that if it breaks for whatever reason, you're SOL. That, and if you get them the wrong part, most shops aren't going to wait a few days for you to get them the right one.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Why are you changing the compressor? If it grenaded itself you'll have to flush the lines and all the other components in the system, which takes a lot more time.

Most places will charge an hour just to evac, vacuum, and charge an ac system. Add into that probably an hour or so to change the compressor out.

You can find compressors cheaper online then what the shop will sell you. However, I don't know of any shop that will warrant the work with customer supplied parts, meaning that if it breaks for whatever reason, you're SOL. That, and if you get them the wrong part, most shops aren't going to wait a few days for you to get them the right one.

this is his air compressor.. at least thats what circled in the post.. I think he mentioned that most ads show AC compressor vs air compressor..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Oh, well, I guess I need to relearn how to read lol.

Same labor cost essentially but you're not dealing with refrigerant or flushing lines. Figure an hour or 2.

Use genuine parts, whether new or reman, from a good known brand(bendix, haldex, wabco, etc.) I don't install used parts unless the customer requests it or I'm certain that they're good.

You should be able to get it all done and out the door for less then 1000 bucks.

If you want an estimate from the mechanic, ask him for one. By law he has to come within so much of the written estimate or notify you of the difference. If you think he's too high, get several estimates.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I had to change out the compressor on my 87 BBAA, it wasn't difficult at all, other than the one bolt on the bracket that required removing the front grill and radiator to get to it. Air compressor should be something you can swap out if you have mechanical ability.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Great advice and info guys, thanks!

I figured it'd be the same as regular cars getting worked on, in that you can't bring in your own parts and still have them guarantee it as they would with a part they chose. Here's hoping the upcharge by the shop isn't too much.

Just to clarify, it is the air compressor for supplying the air brakes and door that needs to be replaced. My bus unfortunately doesn't have air conditioning .

The underlying issue is that it's hemorrhaging coolant onto the frame right under the compressor and it's leaking oil into the air system (door hoses leak oil and tanks spew oil when emptied). Way I look at it I'm fixing two major issues with one stone. Or something like that. I know there's a bird involved somewhere.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Just got a quote from them. A bit expensive quoted at $1900.

$800 for a new Bendex comprssor that's the exact same as the one on it. He's looking for a quote on a remanned one now.

The quote for the labor was 8-12 hours due to the vistas design having the engine wedged partially into the cab.

Assuming a remanned one can be found at around $400, that's gonna be $1500 for the part + labor.

It's also unfortunately the only decent large vehicle shop near me that I can drive the bus to, so it looks like this may be coming up on the end of the line.