Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Hydro-Max power steering/brakes

I finally started the engine on my bus project after letting it sit for a long time. It started right up on the very first crank. Amazing. It had not been started in over six years. (I did change the oil and filter before I cranked the engine.)

But ... now, when the engine is running, the "BRAKE PRESS" light and buzzer are on. The owner manual says this stays on when there is a fault in the Hydro-Max brake boost system and that it should NOT be driven when this system isn't functioning properly. The same pump supplies the power steering and that is working fine. I put it in gear and rocked it back and forth a bit and the brakes seem to be functioning as normal.

The bus is a 1995 International 3800 with a DT466 engine, MT643 transmission, and hydraulic disk brakes.

Anyone have any knowledge of the Hydro-Max system and how I might begin to troubleshoot it?

PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
When the ignition is "ON" do you hear the electric pump motor running? You will find this electric motor near the hydroboost on the firewall where the foot pedal attaches.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
When the ignition is "ON" do you hear the electric pump motor running? You will find this electric motor near the hydroboost on the firewall where the foot pedal attaches.

Hmmm....I hear my brake booster pump anytime I touch the brake pedal as long as the batteries are connected, not just when the ignition is on. In my mind this is the better way to let you know you have brake boost at all times.

What do you think of that setup Johnny? I assume it was built that way for safety, kind of glad it is rather than only when ignition is on.

John
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

The hydroboost should operate the brakes when the engine is running. The electric part is there in case it's not working for safety.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
The hydroboost should operate the brakes when the engine is running. The electric part is there in case it's not working for safety.

Ok ty Johnny, that explanation works for me. I don't hear the electric when driving so I guess that is a good thing then.

So nice to have a real mechanic on board to bounce things off, thanks again man!

John
Old 02-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
No, the pump motor doesn’t run with the ignition key turned on while the engine is not running nor when it is running.

And now that you mention it, I remember I used to be able to press the brake pedal with the engine off and I could hear ... something. I never knew what it was, but I suppose now that it was the electric pump assisting the brake accusation with the engine off. Is that correct?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
No, the pump motor doesn’t run with the ignition key turned on while the engine is not running nor when it is running.

And now that you mention it, I remember I used to be able to press the brake pedal with the engine off and I could hear ... something. I never knew what it was, but I suppose now that it was the electric pump assisting the brake accusation with the engine off. Is that correct?
Correct. That is how it works.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
Bus Nut

So I guess the reason for the alarm is because this electric pump motor is not operating. I'll start there. Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
This should help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hydromax booster.pdf (408.1 KB, 33 views)
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
This should help
Thanks for that! I've got some reading to do.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #11

I have a similar problem. I have a 97 3800 dt466 with a manual 5 speed. The brake press light is intermittent while I drive. Turns off once I'm cruising on the highway. But when I pull into town it turns on again sometimes or when I stop and idle. When I turn the bus off the electric motor that I assume is a brake booster pump. Idk. It's right behind the fire wall under the dot reservoir basically... it won't turn off at all along with the brake press light. I can't sit at night with the bus interior lights on without that motor going constantly. If I turn the ignition to off it still runs until I lift up on the break pedal, when it turns off so does the brake press light.
salty stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:57 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
brakes

three things for you to do.

1) go find the online manual about how the hydromax system is supposed to work. and read it at least twice, cover to cover.

2) have someone else pull up on that pedal with the key on while you watch the brake lights. I wonder if the brake lights are on all the time. because the brake light switch is out of adjustment or broken.

3) adjust the switch and or the return spring on the brake pedal so that the switch "thinks" you are pulling up on the pedal.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote