Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29760 GVWR
IDM bottom

I am wondering if anyone has replaced the IDM bottom on a vt365. I guess it's the difference of around 1800$ and eliminates the need for reprogramming. I found a dorman part, but I could use an experienced opinion if anyone can chime in.

Samarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What problems are you experiencing?

Yes, the idm is cheaper then the ecm/idm combo, and it doesn't need reprogrammed. Most of the IDM failures I see are power supply failures, and not any issues with the ficm itself. Newer units can have the power supply R&R'd for less money yet, older units require entire module replacement.

Dorman is a name that I wouldn't trust in something that I need reliability out of. I've installed one dorman power supply, because it was all that was available and the customer needed it back. Knock on wood it hasn't failed yet, but I'd much prefer getting a half shell from ford/navistar.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Skoolie

I had a loss of power that I thought was a symptom of the turbocharger. Let's see, I was driving from Maine to PA for some Havelock Wool to use in the conversion when I began experiencing....I want to call it a mini stall or a chug. There were no codes, but the next day I experienced a loss of power as I neared 30 to 40mph and I got a code for excessive exhaust back pressure. I cleaned the EGR, replaced the map sensor, and after a test drive there was no change in performance. I replaced the turbocharger with a refurbished one from eBay with the idea of being able to tear into the old one at my leisure (not on the road), and the EBP code hasn't come back, but I still have a loss of power and while it does fine at low speeds, it seems to lurch a little and smoke(black I think, tough to see through mirrors) as I near 30+

I thought I should start at the beginning of the performance diagnostic manual, and while the oil seems okay, and the fuel bowl was full, I don't have the proper gauges to test those things. I started with the KOEO standard test and got dtc224 spn254 fmi2 flash mem fault. I googled all over the place, and the only 224 I can find says it is a KAM(keep active memory?) power issue. The manual I have is calling for breakout harnesses that I don't have and my electrical knowledge is very lacking.

I disconnected the negative cables and then began at the positive terminal, tightened the fuse holders for both 40amp fuses, and unplugged the relay to inspect for damage/loose pins. Today I am intending to grab some wire, butt connectors, and heatshrink to delete the three prong plug(ecm,IDM,? power feeds) because I think there is a little hole near the center prong. I basically squeezed the fuse holder terminals for a better connection, and I also manipulated the center prong on that plug I intend to remove.

After hooking the batteries up and plugging in the laptop, I now get dtc 421 - 428 Open low to high on all cylinders and I still have the 224 flash mem fault.

Unfortunately, money is an issue for us, and the real kicker is that I need to get my wife back to Boston to start her chemo.

I have a dmm, but I am concerned about frying circuits without the breakout harnesses through ignorance.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
Skoolie

Update

I cut out the three prong plug in the battery box and connected those wires with butt connectors and heat shrink. This has left me with the original dtc 224 flash mem fault. I guess I still don't know what my issue is with the 224, but at least the 421-428 are gone.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarath View Post
I cut out the three prong plug in the battery box and connected those wires with butt connectors and heat shrink. This has left me with the original dtc 224 flash mem fault. I guess I still don't know what my issue is with the 224, but at least the 421-428 are gone.
The other peeps in here are genius compared to me so I'm just making a guess for you. Did you check ipr valve and seals.
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp6saz View Post
The other peeps in here are genius compared to me so I'm just making a guess for you. Did you check ipr valve and seals.
Negative. I was reading about a resistance check across one of the IDM harnesses, and so will take a look at the IPR valve when I have the ECU out of the way.

You don't have to be a genius to help this guy. Just warn me of uncertainty before you recommend an expensive part if that's the case....lol

I treasure all knowledge.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:46 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Not totally familiar with your engine, but I just fixed some similar strangeness and a no start situation with similar codes that were caused by the IDM relay contacts being too resistive.
Howard Moon Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Moon Thoughts View Post
Not totally familiar with your engine, but I just fixed some similar strangeness and a no start situation with similar codes that were caused by the IDM relay contacts being too resistive.
Thanks! I guess just scuffing the pins with sandpaper or something helps?