Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
From seeing your previous posts, OP, I take it you repowered a MaxxForce with something that was supposed to be better?
With another Maxxforce, actually (still, supposed to be better).

ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
With another Maxxforce, actually (still, supposed to be better).
Not to rub your nose in it, but you actually installed a MaxxForce engine after all the discussion on this site about them, and the lawsuits that nearly bankrupted Navistar and caused them to stop making them, even turning back to gas power for new models? Expensive lesson that could have been avoided.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Not to rub your nose in it, but you actually installed a MaxxForce engine after all the discussion on this site about them, and the lawsuits that nearly bankrupted Navistar and caused them to stop making them, even turning back to gas power for new models? Expensive lesson that could have been avoided.
Yeah, maybe it was a mistake. I sent you a PM with a little more information.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
That would be great. But I don't think they would work for free on an engine built in 2013.

oh I thought you had purchased a remanufactured engine from a rebuiold shop and put in the bus.. you bought a used one that was presumed good and swapped in?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
mil-surplus. Most likely reman'd by navistar and still in the crate.

Probably got a good deal on it, even with the heartache.....
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:

actually with updates from a rebuild they are pretty damn good engines.. the 2010+ ones as you well know from the factory were rubbish.. 2007-2009 were asctually pretty good units.. really good if you replaced the EGR cooler with aftermarket and updated the oil cooler.. the internals of the High torque units were pretty solid.. it was just all the peripherals that were POS from the factory (compound turbos, EGR coolers, emissions sensors, gaskets)..
Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
mil-surplus. Most likely reman'd by navistar and still in the crate.

Probably got a good deal on it, even with the heartache.....

not uncommon to have a gasket or O-ring fail on something thats sat for awhile dry
Old 03-24-2021, 07:37 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:

Gosh, and people still buy old worn out 40ft School Buses to convert to motorhomes even after they are told this is a bad idea. And now they are paying even MORE than a motorhome just to buy the starting point for another $10k+ and 1 to inifinity year project.

Maybe they don't listen to good advice, that is the point? Do something stupid and make is succeed no matter what the cost and time and hassle?
This is Skoolie Life. Gather around and tell your stories how you did it even if it made no sense. Like Shipping Container homes and Wing Suits.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #29
Bus Geek

I could’ve listened to practical advice all my life.. like drive 10 year old Honda civics and Toyota corollas instead of jeep wranglers chargers and Monte carlos since American cars are unreliable, and cars depreciate quick

I could’ve listened to advice and never had a single meal out , just cooked and eaten at home alone. Since restaraunt food is expensive.

I could’ve never vacationed at a beachfront resort.. instead stayed miles inland at a minimum service brand since resorts just charge too much anyway.

I could’ve always watched movies at home on my tc instead of go to an iMax because movies and popcorn at the theatre are over priced...

Wow what fun I’ve had with experiences to remember stories to tell and adventures learned all because I didn’t listen to what “they” said I “should”do..

Bought 2 at545s when the forum said never.. now both busses are better than ever and I learned a lot of valuable skills and info in the process.. so what it cost me a few bucks.

Life is for living !!!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #30
Almost There

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
So True!!!
JT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #31
Almost There

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
I’ve learned a ton working on mine, I could have had it easier if I had the perfect bus, but when something broke I wouldn’t know where to start.

When I’m done I’ll know it well, and know where to look when things fail, because nothing will run forever, things will break, it’s a machine that wears out.

I’m kinda glad I’ve had to work on it now instead of trying figure it out on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
JT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Gosh, and people still buy old worn out 40ft School Buses to convert to motorhomes even after they are told this is a bad idea. And now they are paying even MORE than a motorhome just to buy the starting point for another $10k+ and 1 to inifinity year project.

Maybe they don't listen to good advice, that is the point? Do something stupid and make is succeed no matter what the cost and time and hassle?
This is Skoolie Life. Gather around and tell your stories how you did it even if it made no sense. Like Shipping Container homes and Wing Suits.
Heck, I am building a skoolie because I got tired of building airplanes and boats and Harleys, shifter Karts, way to many electric trains, a MT 19 motorcar numerous minibikes, VW, VW, VW, dozens of dirt bikes, go karts, jeeps, tractors and Restoring everything I ever got my hands on. Figured since I already had 4 sets of tools (Home, Hangar ,Work , River house) that I would build a Skoolie as a personal challenge....
So one mans "good advice" is ,again, my personal mockery..
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
Heck, I am building a skoolie because I got tired of building airplanes ..
Rivet, my Dad built a Smith Miniplane in our garage. What have you built/flown?

Maybe you could pull a Howard Hughes, Spruce Goose, put some wings on that bus and add a coupe of surplus jet engines....

Yeah, my bus conversion started in my head 20 years ago. First as a party bus, since I rarely drink, I figured I'd drive the pub crawl circuit for others.

Next as a toy hauler to take to Motorcycle gatherings. I wanted to have the back of the bus fold down as a ramp, have big speakers, pull up into the middle of the bike parade....crank the music, start the bikes (windows all open, gas masks on!), lower the bus, unfold the ramp and out come the bikes!

Then, I got divorced. I took the $4k I got from her and bought the bus. Pissed her off...but, oh well. Now, it's just a good ol' RV, and that's just fine.

What was this thread originally about??? ha.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Rivet, my Dad built a Smith Miniplane in our garage. What have you built/flown?

Maybe you could pull a Howard Hughes, Spruce Goose, put some wings on that bus and add a coupe of surplus jet engines....

Yeah, my bus conversion started in my head 20 years ago. First as a party bus, since I rarely drink, I figured I'd drive the pub crawl circuit for others.

Next as a toy hauler to take to Motorcycle gatherings. I wanted to have the back of the bus fold down as a ramp, have big speakers, pull up into the middle of the bike parade....crank the music, start the bikes (windows all open, gas masks on!), lower the bus, unfold the ramp and out come the bikes!

Then, I got divorced. I took the $4k I got from her and bought the bus. Pissed her off...but, oh well. Now, it's just a good ol' RV, and that's just fine.

What was this thread originally about??? ha.
Have built a Pietenpol ,A Zenith CH 601 and about half of a plans built Zenith STOL 750. Currently own a Piper Cherokee 180 E Flown many a wing and a prayer rental got my Cherokee about 10 years ago. Really did consider a glider that would fit in a 40Bus but ended up selling that airpark gliderport property.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
Have built a Pietenpol ,A Zenith CH 601 and about half of a plans built Zenith STOL 750. Currently own a Piper Cherokee 180 E Flown many a wing and a prayer rental got my Cherokee about 10 years ago. Really did consider a glider that would fit in a 40Bus but ended up selling that airpark gliderport property.
Pietenpol must of been a fun little plane. My Dad said after building the miniplane "I should have built a two place".

I had to look up the Zeniths. Wow, two completely different plane types there. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy some fun backcountry experiences when it's complete.

I took soaring lessons when I was 14. Ridged soared with a few eagles in Calistoga, CA.. Great experience not having the engine noise. Amazing what they are doing with some of the high performance self-launching sailplanes these days.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #36
Bus Nut

The Piet is on permanent display up in Santa Monica and I sold the 601 to a gent up at Fox Field in Lancaster as of a year ago he was still flying it .The 750 I donated. My Cherokee is enough airplane for me now and the bus and our 115 year old Craftsman beach bungalow is enough projects for at least the future although..
Old 03-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I keep checking this thread hoping to read that the OP has found the problem with his engine. Just saying...
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I keep checking this thread hoping to read that the OP has found the problem with his engine. Just saying...
I'm waiting for the seal kits to be delivered, and I'll start with the oil cooler.

Not bothered by the thread highjacking, it was fun to read about your experiences! My daughter (14) wants to learn to fly, too.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #39
Bus Geek

I really should finish (or start over) and get my pilots license.. I got as far as solo-ing in a high winger 172, flew a couple flights in a buddy's Mooney (wow what a nice plane to fly)..
Old 03-26-2021, 11:41 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Cool. We'll just talk about flying until AB gets his parts and then back to his engine. LOL.

Rivet, so cool that the Piet is in a museum! I get how the 180 does the job. Function over form. Not the most exciting plane, but it gets you there.

Christopher, seems you like to collect things you're interested in...might have to buy yourself an airport.

I flew a plane at 10yo, first power thing I ever controlled. Like Christopher, I was close to my private. I was on my three legged trip and got stuck in Nuevo Laredo, TX., for 5 hours waiting for the mechanic to bring new plugs for the plane. The planes engine was a continental. Known for fouling plugs. I got caught in a thunderstorm and was at minimal control airspeed. Full mixture, low rpms, fouled the plugs. I was so pissed they made me sit there for five hours that I never went back. Shot myself in my own foot on that one.