Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
I'm waiting for the seal kits to be delivered, and I'll start with the oil cooler.

Not bothered by the thread highjacking, it was fun to read about your experiences! My daughter (14) wants to learn to fly, too.
Maybe I did drift out of my lane but but I've got my fingers crossed for your engine issue

Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Cool. We'll just talk about flying until AB gets his parts and then back to his engine. LOL.

Rivet, so cool that the Piet is in a museum! I get how the 180 does the job. Function over form. Not the most exciting plane, but it gets you there.

Christopher, seems you like to collect things you're interested in...might have to buy yourself an airport.

I flew a plane at 10yo, first power thing I ever controlled. Like Christopher, I was close to my private. I was on my three legged trip and got stuck in Nuevo Laredo, TX., for 5 hours waiting for the mechanic to bring new plugs for the plane. The planes engine was a continental. Known for fouling plugs. I got caught in a thunderstorm and was at minimal control airspeed. Full mixture, low rpms, fouled the plugs. I was so pissed they made me sit there for five hours that I never went back. Shot myself in my own foot on that one.
You could still get a refresher course and try again. I took up glider flying to get over a debilitating fear of heights. I took around 40 lessons, solo'd and went up alone 5 or 6 times. I never got over it although I'm glad I tried. To this day I hate flying.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
You could still get a refresher course and try again. I took up glider flying to get over a debilitating fear of heights. I took around 40 lessons, solo'd and went up alone 5 or 6 times. I never got over it although I'm glad I tried. To this day I hate flying.

I really Love flying.. except when it copmes to commercial.. Ill drive the bus halfweay across the country if I have the time rather than fly commercial.. it used to be fun when they served you wine, fettucini alfredo and the temperature wasnt set to deep freeze.

small planes and recreational im the first to say "me me me" when someone says they have a plane or a chopper to fly..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have a bad fear of heights when not in a plane. So, I did a tandem parachute jump once to push myself.

I'm a bit of a chunky monkey, so between the skydiving instructor and myself, we were pushing the limits of the ram air chute.

The first scare was after leaving the plane, instead of spread eagle, I went semi-fetal. That caused what's called potato chipping where the air pushes you from side to side trying to escape. FREAKED me out. Once I went spread eagle all was good.

Next was the worry about our combined weight and the chute. What I didn't know was there was a drag chute to keep our speed slower so the chute would not rip apart. So, I was pretty concerned until he pulled the chute and we were good.

But, when the chute deployed, one of the straps grabbed my crotch area pretty hard. Yet, I wasn't going to go messing around with it as it was holding me in.

Since I know about flying and how a wing creates lift or stalls, when the guy said we were going to do a couple of practice approaches during our decent, I knew that meant he would be slowing the forward speed down...and so not so much "Ram air" would be going through the chute channels. It's not that I thought the chute "would" collapse, but more of I knew it "could" collapse.

Finally, as we were heading towards the landing, I felt he came in a little hot, and I hit the ground first, my landing gear (legs) collapesed and he fell on me, still attached of course. But, I was very happy to be on the ground. HA!

Throughout all of this, I did get to see the curvature of the earth. It was amazing.

All in all, I'm glad I went, checked it off a bucket list, but not again at this point in life.

Have any of you heard of I-Fly, https://www.iflyworld.com/ ? Indoor skydiving. I have one about 10 miles away. It's on my list, as is amphibian, sea, heli, etc.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
As someone who was filling his radiator up with coolant and Dexron 3 started puking all over under the bus yeah. This was after two years of work building the motor and replacing the traans. It took quite a few flushes to make the fluid red again. It looked like pink pepto bismol the first time.. Operator error turned out to be the cause and since it crapped outside the hangar and the next day was inspection day, it was towed. $1200 later it is but a bad memory
So, I feel your pain and have both hands fingers crossed! Sorry to be part of the thread hacking my bad
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:51 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I just sold our Mooney about 6 months ago...a great ole '66 E model...and we turned her into some vintage buses...so perhaps this falls into the crazy category.

AAbus, I've been following along too, hoping you get this resolved.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #47
Bus Geek

honestly id ratgher have my busses than i would an airplane.. thats just me.. im a bus enthusiast.. really classic vehicles in general.. ive gone around from classic luxury to grocery getters to muscle cars to resto-mods and now busses.. i think busses are the thing I have enjoyed most.. i was a bus geek in school and have stayed a bus geek my life..

not so much conversion for me as i really am noit an off-grid roughing it type so I tend to keep my busses more or less with seats.. which im sure many peoiple here cant understand..

I love to fly but with a bus i can just take it out and drive it around anytime I want... I suppose with the right kind of plane you can do the same thing..

airplanes bring lots of attention in a bar room.. "Oh you have an airplane how cool!!".. busses bring lots of attention anywhere you drive them.. yesterday I was sitting in my DEV bus mashing code sucking espresso and jamming techno.. doors and windows wide open.. next to a coffee shop in one of our arts districts.. there was a group of people doing a video / picture shoot for what appeared to be a fashion.. soon a guy walked and up and was like " Dude! your bus is like the perfect color and perfect setting for our new spring clothing.. its city its urban its industrial.. can we shoot in it?

and they did.. the group had a ball and I learned of a new local small business to shop (since I dig the look they promote).. Busses are cool that way..
Old 03-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
i think busses are the thing I have enjoyed most.. i was a bus geek in school and have stayed a bus geek my life..

I tend to keep my busses more or less with seats.. which im sure many peoiple here cant understand..

I love to fly but with a bus i can just take it out and drive it around anytime I want...

...yesterday I was sitting in my DEV bus mashing code sucking espresso and jamming techno.. doors and windows wide open.. next to a coffee shop in one of our arts districts.. there was a group of people doing a video / picture shoot for what appeared to be a fashion.. soon a guy walked and up and was like " Dude! your bus is like the perfect color and perfect setting for our new spring clothing.. its city its urban its industrial.. can we shoot in it?

and they did.. the group had a ball and I learned of a new local small business to shop (since I dig the look they promote).. Busses are cool that way..
My first bus was a 69 Volkswagen camper with a 4x4 ft pop top. I just love sitting forward of the wheels and driving.

I also get having a bus just for having a bus. Anything that's unique or cool looking people are attracted to. It gives them a reason to connect and gather.

The reason I choose owning my Harley was because I could do just that, get on it and ride. No fuss no muss.

Love "mashing code sucking espresso and jamming techno..".

Hopefully you'll share the pics they took.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
honestly id ratgher have my busses than i would an airplane.. thats just me.. im a bus enthusiast.. really classic vehicles in general.. ive gone around from classic luxury to grocery getters to muscle cars to resto-mods and now busses.. i think busses are the thing I have enjoyed most.. i was a bus geek in school and have stayed a bus geek my life..

not so much conversion for me as i really am noit an off-grid roughing it type so I tend to keep my busses more or less with seats.. which im sure many peoiple here cant understand..

I love to fly but with a bus i can just take it out and drive it around anytime I want... I suppose with the right kind of plane you can do the same thing..

airplanes bring lots of attention in a bar room.. "Oh you have an airplane how cool!!".. busses bring lots of attention anywhere you drive them.. yesterday I was sitting in my DEV bus mashing code sucking espresso and jamming techno.. doors and windows wide open.. next to a coffee shop in one of our arts districts.. there was a group of people doing a video / picture shoot for what appeared to be a fashion.. soon a guy walked and up and was like " Dude! your bus is like the perfect color and perfect setting for our new spring clothing.. its city its urban its industrial.. can we shoot in it?

I feel your interests Christopher. I do not hang in bars but airplanes are cool and for pretty much my whole life if it runs on gasoline (and now diesel) or it is electric I like it!
Old 03-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #50
Bus Geek

airplanes would be surely something id love to be into.. I dont have the facilities or the skills for those.. most ive ever been allowed to do is see under the cowl enough for pre-flight! I did get to fly in the cockpit jumpseat of a 737 (pre 911 and the plane was empty except for crew).. so that was super cool..

things that are metal and fly or drive or have wires and gears and stuff have always been Fun.. Boats? nah not so muich just never was interested in the whole boat thing.. I guess because fishing goes with it.. and other than golf I cant think of anything more boring lol
Old 03-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:

We got to be the backdrop for a photo shoot also. Young woman playing guiter. We were in a state park right on the water of lake Erie. Yes buses really do bring the best people to you.

For the OP I had an oil cooler fail on an old Cat. It has taken at least 3 flushes to get the oil out of the radiator, and there is still a very small amount in there, and at 14 gallons to fill it I am done flushing.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
I received the seal kits today (oil cooler, oil cooler support, front cover - front and front cover - rear). I'm really confident this will fix the problem.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

I sure hope so, this has been a long, tough, road for you.
Good Luck
Old 03-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #54
Bus Nut

You know it is going to work and never fail again. Just like Mt G and his air compressor fables that came to an 120 lbs and pssssshhht happy ending, I declare, after two Beers, it is going to work and clear clear oil is your future. At no extra cost, you probably will see what failed. Here, in the thread jack tradition at least in this one, is a picture for anyone that liked that 70's show. The 210 was Dad's and the Vista Cruiser was mine. It had A/C too Christopher!
Attached Thumbnails
Vista Cruiser.jpg  
Old 03-31-2021, 06:43 PM   #55
Bus Nut

I have a plane, too, but slightly smaller:
Old 03-31-2021, 07:46 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
airplanes would be surely something id love to be into.. I dont have the facilities or the skills for those.. most ive ever been allowed to do is see under the cowl enough for pre-flight! I did get to fly in the cockpit jumpseat of a 737 (pre 911 and the plane was empty except for crew).. so that was super cool..

things that are metal and fly or drive or have wires and gears and stuff have always been Fun.. Boats? nah not so muich just never was interested in the whole boat thing.. I guess because fishing goes with it.. and other than golf I cant think of anything more boring lol

CadillacKid, I sent you a PM (ECM question).
506c6561736520616e73776572206d7920504d
Old 03-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I have a bad fear of heights when not in a plane. So, I did a tandem parachute jump once to push myself.

I'm a bit of a chunky monkey, so between the skydiving instructor and myself, we were pushing the limits of the ram air chute.

The first scare was after leaving the plane, instead of spread eagle, I went semi-fetal. That caused what's called potato chipping where the air pushes you from side to side trying to escape. FREAKED me out. Once I went spread eagle all was good.

Next was the worry about our combined weight and the chute. What I didn't know was there was a drag chute to keep our speed slower so the chute would not rip apart. So, I was pretty concerned until he pulled the chute and we were good.

But, when the chute deployed, one of the straps grabbed my crotch area pretty hard. Yet, I wasn't going to go messing around with it as it was holding me in.

Since I know about flying and how a wing creates lift or stalls, when the guy said we were going to do a couple of practice approaches during our decent, I knew that meant he would be slowing the forward speed down...and so not so much "Ram air" would be going through the chute channels. It's not that I thought the chute "would" collapse, but more of I knew it "could" collapse.

Finally, as we were heading towards the landing, I felt he came in a little hot, and I hit the ground first, my landing gear (legs) collapesed and he fell on me, still attached of course. But, I was very happy to be on the ground. HA!

Throughout all of this, I did get to see the curvature of the earth. It was amazing.

All in all, I'm glad I went, checked it off a bucket list, but not again at this point in life.

Have any of you heard of I-Fly, https://www.iflyworld.com/ ? Indoor skydiving. I have one about 10 miles away. It's on my list, as is amphibian, sea, heli, etc.
You don't understand how a parachute works. Once the cells fill with air they don't have air flowing through them, they are closed cells. I always tell people when you make your first jump you'll now you either just did the worst thing you could have imagined, or taken your first hit of addictive crack. For me it was crack.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
I have a plane, too, but slightly smaller:
God, my kids and I had so much fun with foamies back in the day..
Old 04-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #59
Bus Nut

Thread is back on track. Johan got his parts! Hoping the install goes smooth and the repair works flawlessly! Looking forward to an update.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:02 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Update, 8 months later. It was the oil cooler, easy fix. A little more than 16k miles since then, and all is good!