Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Skoolie

Increase throttle on DT466?

About to head out on a big trip tomorrow. Would really help if the RV could go past 60mph on a flat road. I see where the fuel stop is at, but don't know how to adjust it. I did go to this site: http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/ , but it just talks about it as an afterthought. Do I have to take a lot apart just to adjust the fuel stop?

I think this is the only adjustment I need to make, I'm running at about 60mph at just over 2500rpm. When going downhill the rpms do increase a bit and I can still give it fuel (so I don't think the governor is affecting anything at this speed).

Thanks!

josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Increase throttle on DT466?

Speed is speed. You need to up your govenor speed setting to go faster. There is probably some sort of fuel limiter, which is a sperate issue from engine speed.

Don't overspeed your engine--chunks can fall/fly out.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Speed is speed. You need to up your govenor speed setting to go faster. There is probably some sort of fuel limiter, which is a sperate issue from engine speed.

Don't overspeed your engine--chunks can fall/fly out.
Unless I misunderstand how the governor works, I don't think that's the problem. The accelerator pedal will only go down so far. There is a thing that stops it from going any further. If I could move the fuel stop in some, then the accelerator pedal would go further, thus giving it more fuel.

If it was the governor being limited, then I would think it'd cut the fuel off once it hits 2500rpm (since that's about where it tops out at on a flat road). However I can be going downhill, have it going over 2500rpm, press the accelerator all the way down, and can accelerate further (up to 65mph). It should also let me have more fuel when it falls below 2500rpm, such as when going up a steep hill. This is not the case. The amount of fuel reaching the engine is constant. There's two things that the fuel thing hits, one is the minimum fuel given (i.e. the idle stop) and then the max fuel. The part that's visible isn't a screw, it's just a round thing with a small hole in the middle (the hole is the same size as another piece just below it that has the anti-tamper wire in it, maybe it used to have two tamper wires?).

I tried to take off the cap covering the governor springs in case the fuel stop adjustment is in there, but the part that's moved by the kill switch is in the way (it's almost out of the way when the kill switch is pulled all the way out, but not quite).
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Skoolie

I shamelessly stole the picture of what I'm talking about from the site I mentioned above. I've circled the part that is the fuel stop, I need to adjust it in some. This would let the accelerator pedal move more. I'm not sure how to adjust it though.

If I'm not allowed to use the original picture, let me know and I'll remove it from my site.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3

I talk about that throttle stop bolt as an afterthought, because it just doesn't add that much in terms of performance or rpm. If it's not adjusted in far enuf, then your power will be somewhat limited. To adjust it, loosen the jamb nut with a 10mm wrench, then screw the bolt in with needle nose vice grips or a small allen wrench inserted in the hole. No issue with using the pix, that's what they're there for. I have more on my photobucket page.
Spinning to 2500 is nothing, you can hold it at 2800 for hours, but fuel economy will greatly suffer. Plus, you can go to 3200 before valves start hitting the pistons. These engines can stay together up to 4500rpm, not that they need to spin that fast, unless you're at the tractor pulls.
You will gain more rpm by first upping the fuel rate(sliding the plate forward), then tightening the gov springs if the first isnt enuf. Just sliding the plate lets more fuel flow and it will pull harder thru the rpm range, and start cutting off about 2750. It takes fuel to get more rpm, so you wont get much result by just doing the gov springs by themselves. Doing the fuel and rpm will really wake it up though.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote