Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #201
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
The most boost I’ve seen is 15.5 should I be getting more
I get 18 to 20 tops in my F350. I don't know what my bus does and I haven't looked to even see if it's the same turbo as the trucks. IF it is I would suggest a Wicked Wheel II, I've installed them into other trucks that were pretty close to stock and seen 30-40psi on those wheels.
Your compressor wheel could be worn and that will lower it a little.

Also Amen to what Christopher said 14-1500 very long and you will be sorry before you know it. I don't let mine over 1300 or I back off it.

What is funny is the vans that run th 7.3s have a little larger turbo housing, yeah on a van, why it wasn't the other way around is beyond me, but then again they were not intercooled either, or atleast I've never seen one that came with one from the factory that wasn't added by the owner so maybe that is why they had a larger turbie.

If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #202
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the Van turbo and the bus turbos are similar.. you have to look at your turbo and pull the numbers on it.. there were a lot of different turbos used on the internationals..

the HO versions of the 444E got a SMALLER turbo. (GT37) instead of the GTP38, because they wanted more boost at lower RPM for higher Torque.. they could fuel the lower end heavier and keep the EGTs down .. even though the curve rolled off much quicker.. those engines also had the single shot AC injectors.. 160s i think.

most of the 444E standards got a variant of the GTP38 with 1.00 AR compressor and turbine.. (no wastegate) the result is slow-to-spool up, thus when you watch the computer fuel it, they also fuel it slowly when you pound the throttle.. presumably to prevent black smoke..

the 2002.5 and later (navistar sold the 444E through the 04 model year) got I believe the ball bearing GTP38R turbos. with a wastegate. Id have to look up the part number to see what the AR is on those turbos..

for the 175 and 190 will build 15-16 lbs of boost before they start to defuel above 2300-2400 RPM in anticipation of the rev-limiter.

I have my computer turned up to the 250 mark so im pulling higher levels of boost.. the GTP38 turbos are easily good for the 20-22 range im pulling.. I think i read somewhere stock those turbos are good for 35-40. patrick probably knows more since the fords pull higher boost than the 444E.

the 444E having a thinner head gasket, I dont want to blast too much boost out as cylinder pressures can get high.. however these engines from what ive seen are way over-built for the stock output..

I bought new injectors over a year ago and just havent had the time to install them yet.. I had a lazy #1 injector but running archoil now since the spring has seemed to fix that

I need to measure my wheel to see if a WW2 would fit our turbos or not.

Please dont watch youtube and use an impact wrench on your turbo shaft to install a wheel.. Taking the turbo off and benching it is a good time to give it a good inspection as to its bearings and seals.

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #203
Almost There

Year: 97
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500
So my boost is normal thanks. Christopher, do you think you would be able to look at my bus sometime in the next week? I know that your time is at a premium and understand if you can’t. I appreciate all the help I have already had from everyone here.
Studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #204
Bus Geek

Where are you currently? I’m in key west on a site
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #205
Almost There

Year: 97
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500
I am in Pittsburgh until sometime next week. I will be driving through Columbus on my way back to New Mexico. Busy at a wedding this Friday and Saturday but open any other day
Studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #206
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Where are you currently? I’m in key west on a site
Hows the weather down there, man?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #207
Bus Nut

Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Geez! Somehow I forgot about this thread! I'll have to skim through it all. Looks like a lot of good information!

QUESTION:
Anybody put an after market muffler on their skoolie? Or leave it with open pipes?
I drove mine to the dump last Saturday with open pipe just sticking sideways right after it drops from the engine. WOW! THat was LOUD! I thought I was gonna loose my mind and hearing on the drive there and back!!!

My plan is to run the exhaust up under the body and out just in front of the door and behind the "passenger side" front tire, then up like a stack. Do you think I'll still need a muffler? Seems like I will. Don't want to be obnoxiously loud. But neither do I want to loose power.

Any suggestions?

Been looking here:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...muffler&pos=10

and here:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/mbrp-di...iant_id=105236

https://www.xtremediesel.com/silverl...-steel-muffler

https://www.xtremediesel.com/silverl...-steel-muffler
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #208
Bus Geek

Mine right now running as a 4” with a turn down and dumps our the side in front of the right rear tire. It’s loud there.. most of the noise from the front door it seems.. and it’s kind of obnoxious like the roll coal redbeck trucks.
Since my motor is turned up a bit I do blow a little smoke at people occasionally I’m stop n go traffic. I’m going to go ahead and run it back to the rear
I def like the way it runs with straight pipes.. seems my turbo spool is a bit quicker and my EGT a little lower
Old 09-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #209
Bus Nut

Well, since the experience I had driving with that open pipe was akin to being trampled by a herd of javalinas ridden by demon monkeys wielding whips and flails, and since I want to avoid my neighbors expressing their dismay with various weapons of war if I pull in at 2AM, I'm going go with this contraption here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1DGLFZZH&psc=1
Old 09-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #210
Bus Nut

Quote:
Mine right now running as a 4” with a turn down and dumps our the side in front of the right rear tire. It’s loud there.. most of the noise from the front door it seems.. and it’s kind of obnoxious like the roll coal redbeck trucks.
Since my motor is turned up a bit I do blow a little smoke at people occasionally I’m stop n go traffic. I’m going to go ahead and run it back to the rear
I def like the way it runs with straight pipes.. seems my turbo spool is a bit quicker and my EGT a little lower
"roll coal redbeck trucks" You making fun of me now? LOL.

"I def like the way it runs with straight pipes.. seems my turbo spool is a bit quicker and my EGT a little lower" It sure will with less restriction, any F350s I've had I ALWAYS hack the exhaust off and just leave the section of down pipe that comes off the turbie. I've been meaning to do the same on the bus, atleast it's a RE so it won't be too annoying...
But yeah in the little pickups it makes the cab so loud it's hard to talk especially cruising down the interstate with the exhaust cut right past the trans bell housing LOL. IF you really want to roll coal, rig up an exhaust brake, turn it on and then stomp the go pedal. Best way to deal with a tailgater ESPECIALLY those on bikes that just don't care enough for their own life to back off, not a one can fight with that black smoke, they all back off. Pretty funny I think. I don't roll coal on people just to do it, but get on my rear and I'll fart coal in yer face LOL.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #211
Bus Geek

I actually like the noise when there is coal to go with it but mine is just loud lol. Exhaust brakes I thought were dangerous to the health of 7.3s.. or maybe it’s teue jakes because our lifters are hydraulic..

My first iteration was a turndown right behind the stairwell and that was wAy too loud esp since I do 100s of miles at a time .. it’s better now but I think I’m going to just run it out the back..
Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #212
Bus Nut

Quote:
I actually like the noise when there is coal to go with it but mine is just loud lol. Exhaust brakes I thought were dangerous to the health of 7.3s.. or maybe it’s teue jakes because our lifters are hydraulic..

My first iteration was a turndown right behind the stairwell and that was wAy too loud esp since I do 100s of miles at a time .. it’s better now but I think I’m going to just run it out the back..
"Exhaust brakes I thought were dangerous to the health of 7.3" Yeah if you stomp the go pedal, makes EGTs climb quick. I've yet to hurt one, but I don't do it much. I've prob said before but I've got a F350 with almost half a million miles on the org engine that hasn't even seen a new HPOP yet, just injectors was the worst of it.
In normal function I prefer no smoke, smoke is just a sign of incomplete combustion (I know you already know), I prefer to do the smoking myself LOL. Run ya a 8-10' section of pipe and have it come out the side UNLESS that will just cause the exhaust to come back into a window.....
Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #213
Bus Nut

Do you all think a muffler like the one I mentioned would restrict the exhaust? They are straight through mufflers. Seems like a good option to me. Any thoughts?

The two I'm looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...F7G8DU3K&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1DGLFZZH&psc=1
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #214
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
Had my stock 175hp shorty speed turned up to 65 mph and rev limiter up to 2900. Is that safe till I get a egt gauge?
syntaxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #215
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxterror View Post
Had my stock 175hp shorty speed turned up to 65 mph and rev limiter up to 2900. Is that safe till I get a egt gauge?
if its limited to 65 is that at 2900 rpm?
You really aren't doing the engine any favors spinning it faster than 2600.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #216
Skoolie

Its right at 2600rpm at 65. My mechanic actually turned the speed up to 88 but on my trip from West Palm to Ocala I only ran 65. I don't have faith in the gauges.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 AM   #217
Bus Geek

Turning the rev limiter up does no good other than making heat and noise and allowing you to run out a gear a little longer before shifting.
Changing the EFRC and the HP rating are where you wake the 444 up. We have thinner head gaskets than the ford guys, whether 2900 is too fast or not I don’t know but that’s one setting I won’t mess with on mine.
I do know once you pass programmed rated rpm the power band rolls off and they most surely run hotter. So above 2400 seems like it’s jyst convenience to run out a gear
Old 10-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #218
Skoolie

Where is the best place to install the egt probe in the t444e?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #219
Bus Geek

The consensus seems to be from the Ford 7.3 guys and IH enthusiasts that it should be in the driver side exhaust manifold right before the Up-Pipe. This is thought to be the hottest point of the exhaust circuit. The #6 then #8 cylinder fire in succession so you have a very little time for exhaust to cool in that part of the manifold. On an IH conventional school bus it’s also an easy area to drill and tap the manifold with little risk of shavings in the manifold and it’s a good solid area.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #220
Skoolie

Would that be from the top or bottom of the manifold?