Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

International 3800/DT466E blow-by

Been looking at buses for a while now. Found one on govdeals a few hours north of me (https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...42&acctid=6186). Not much in the auction link, so I emailed the contact. Needs maintenance translates to oil in blow-by tube. I've worked on diesels before, but just my Dad's truck and jetta. What are the likely causes of this (obviously bad rings, but anything else common to this motor?). Also, what is a blow-by tube exactly? I'm under the impression the equivalent of a PCV valve, which a little oil in those is normal, so I am not sure what to make of this. What it comes down to is this rig is the right size, in the right place, and possibly for a price I could convince my wife to go for. However, I don't want to go for it to have to do a major engine overhaul immediately (which would probably cost more than the rig itself). Thanks for any help.

dpeterson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a lot of reasons for oil in the blowby tube. the blowby tube is the crankcase vent and so a little oil is normal.. now if its belching oil on the ground from the tube there are a number of causes.

1. someone overfilled the oil
2. the engine oil overfilled itself by a bad injector dumping fuel in the oil.

3. excessive engine blowby increases blowby tube flow and blows oil out. excessive blowby .. broken or bad rings, highly worn out engine.

just some guesses
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Got a little more information. The district coordinator says it has 108121 miles on it and it is drive-able, so I guess the engine can't be in too bad of shape. She said she will try to email me maintenance records when her mechanic returns. I'll post them if I ever get them.
dpeterson3 is offline   Reply With Quote