Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
International front covers...

So after much tail chasing I have determined my problems with building oil pressure in my '95 t444e are directly related to a scored timing cover. That said, I have mostly removed the needed components to get it out and replace the cover. At this point I have discovered that the cover I have is p/n 1820508c1, which unlike other covers, doesn't seem to have a direct ford replacement, and was quoted by the local international dealer at $2500.

Just want to see if anyone here has any insight or experience with this. It seems to me that a 1815915c1 cover should fit, but I'm not 100%, and don't want to waste time and money on it if it won't.

Howard Moon Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
check ebay

also see if there is an aftermarket part made by dorman.....

use the part number for your search.

also people earn a living selling used parts from core engines.... I would search google first.

ebay also facebook marketplace.... try to look closest to your first and expand distance...also medium and heavy duty truck salvage... For that price you can buy damaged engine that has a good cover and throw the rest away...

I am willing to bet you find what you want... My guess is you can find a replacement cover in good shape for $500 or less in the used market.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
try to stay away from dorman if possible.. ive not had much luck with dorman parts on the T444E.. im not sure the front covers varied in years.. ive been told they are different between IH and forrd possibly since the idlers, belt drive and water pump apparently are somewhat different on the fords..

there may also be year considerations.. the T444E went through serveral distinct generations..

1994-1996

1997-1999.4

1999.5 - 2002.4

2002.5 - 2006 (yes they were sold up through 06 in some foreign markets).
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

It seems there are two front covers from 94-95.5. The one I have is 1820508c1, and it has no ford p/n. The other is 1815915C1 and does have a ford p/n. My biggest concern is the oil cooler flange angle. The rest seems in line. In an ideal world I could find someone that has replaced one with the other and it all worked out. I may have roll the dice a bit if my salvage yard deep dive doesn't work out
Old 09-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Listen to Cadillac

He is well informed about this stuff.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

He hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I started looking at various covers on vanderhaags trying to make heads or tails of them.. I also saw a forum post on a ford forum that seemed to reference the real early stuff as somehow being different..

everything IH did seems to be based on engine serial numbers.. at least when it came to engine revisions.. the thermostats changed from 94-96 and 97+.. wonder if that also made changes to that area of the front cover.. I think at some point in time this is unfortunately going to turn into a buy one thats returnable and compare type situation..

when I see these engines referenced on ReMan sites they reference the general generations... and the reman shops have different part numbers for the fords.. possibly because of turbos and such..

one fault of navistar is they had many many part numbers and didnt always do a very good job of cross referencing them.. I cant tell you how many ECMs they had for the 466E / 444E.. and the reality is there's about 15 part numbers of those that when you run thenm against NavKal get the correct software and work just fine..

i cant help but wonder if staying within generation can get you a suitable timing front cover..

if the front cover is still on that engine.. I still might be inclined to fill that oil pump with light grease and see if it will move oil momentarily.. (this takes the scores out of the picture for a shiort time)...

those scores are definitely not good.. but to move no oil something is fishy.. maybe at least try to suck oil up with a makeshift hand pump and see if the oil pickup is in fact free and able to provide oil to the front cover if the pump could seal off ..

I wouldve thought long before this died that we would see a drop in oil pressure at the dash gauge over time vs a runs then doesnt...
Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

It's funny you mention the grease trick. That kind how I got on the front cover track. Long story short, replaced the LPOP and had packed it with grease for the install. Saw pressure climb after this, both on the dash gauge and one I had installed on the HPOP reservoir. I hadn't charged the batteries after my kids had been playing with accessories, so it didn't catch when I cranked. By the time it was charged I was able to see the pressure fall as I cranked and the grease was washed out. After this I loosened the bolts on the oil cooler to see what kind of flow I got there under crank to rule out de-aeration and relief valves. Flow was bogus. Just a dribble. Not what I would expect if the LPOP was working proper. So I went looking at the pictures I took when I swapped the LPOP. That's when I noticed the scoring and looked at the front cover closer.
I am open to being incorrect in my assessment, I'm an electrician not a diesel mechanic.

Also, I only have about 1000km behind the wheel of this cruel mistress, and it was in freezing temps where I was pretty focused on the road conditions, so the pressure could have been falling and I just didn't recognize it.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

https://ibb.co/vPh3ryc

I did find this decent picture of different front covers and their part numbers.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I'm thinking I may roll the dice and keep it in the early generation. As back up I have access to 2 '96 donor engines. Worse case I may have to see if the water pump lines up, then snag the oil cooler and HPOP res with the front cover.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Ha! That’s exactly what I’d expect to see when the scores do make a difference and the oil pickup is still submersed! Good goin! Yeah that pretty much says that the grooves are a big cause for concern.

With cold oil it should move a decent volume . In cold weather the dash gauge can easily register a good solid pressure so you know there is good flow. At the oil cooler Should also have good flow all the time since that’s where the filter and also the relief valve is (one end of the cooler)..

If someone at some point failed to change their oil for a long time it easily could’ve started in thei wear.. I’m pretty sure there’s a collapsed filter bypass valve in the oil cooler as well so. A clogged filter won’t oil starve the engine.. and of course the LPOP takes the dirtiest of oil from the pan and gets it first..
Old 09-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I think you might be right about the lack of oil changes. The oil and filter were changed in the process of elimination getting here. My HD mechanic buddy did it, and neither of us thought to cut the filter open. It's long gone now. I did think to have him remove the oil cooler to make sure it wasn't plugged up. Everything was there according to him. He runs a 97 f250 with a 7.3, so I'm inclined to believe he has a decent handle on these engines. He's been helpful, but not terribly interested in having his free time infringed on, lol. This is the only work done that I wasn't directly involved with.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

The front cover fit. No discernible difference. Everything bolted right up no problems. Reconnecting hoses and lines today, and fill all the fluids this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:10 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

It runs again. Details in my original thread.
Howard Moon Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote