Old 04-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

International/Navistar/MaxxForce DT466 7.6L Service manual

Looking for a service manual for my 2011 bus. Anyone know anywhere to download one? Thanks in advance.
StuartBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E-Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartBS View Post
Looking for a service manual for my bus. Anyone know anywhere to download one? Thanks in advance.

I have a 99 amtran/international with a dt466e, not a maxforce though.
I posted electrical diagrmas here -> https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/a...ams-25055.html

I also have the shop service manual for this bus. I can upload specific pages for you. What you looking for in the manual?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I should have been more specific, sorry. My bus is a 2011. I'm looking for fuel system information.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E-Md3060
Quote:
I should have been more specific, sorry. My bus is a 2011. I'm looking for fuel system information.

What issues are you having, what is the question on your mind?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'm not getting any fuel. I don't know where the pump is. I'm new to diesels.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
I'm not getting any fuel. I don't know where the pump is. I'm new to diesels.
Not sure if this applies to skoolies, as most only have one fuel tank. But in my time driving semis over-the-road, I experienced a very frustrating fuel issue with a semi that had a MaxiPad, er MaxxForce engine (I don't care for them, and neither do most truckers).

Anyway... On applications with dual fuel tanks, the left tank was used as a reserve for the right tank. The right tank was used to feed the regulator and injectors. The fuel transfer from left to right was automatically controlled by a transfer valve.

I drove one of these on which the fuel line feeds were apparently incorrectly sequenced, causing it to pump from the right tank to the left instead. The result was that the left tank would overfill and the right tank would drain empty.

If yours does have dual fuel tanks, doubtful if it's been in service, but a possibility. On the other hand, if it has dual fuel tanks, the issue I mention might be why they got rid of it.

For some reason, I was the only driver out of four who drove this truck, against a shop full of mechanics and two maintenance supervisors, that figured this out. They all thought a fuel treatment bottle label had come loose and fallen inside, blocking the fuel feeds as it floated around.

Otherwise, I would say you might have a bad fuel pump in the tank, or a possible line blockage, clogged filter, or a loose connection causing it to suck air.

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I don't see a second tank under there, but I will definitely double check. Since doing some more research (ie google) I think I've found where the fuel pump should be. None of the pictures or resources I've looked at quite match my bus.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't see a second tank under there, but I will definitely double check. Since doing some more research (ie google) I think I've found where the fuel pump should be. None of the pictures or resources I've looked at quite match my bus.
It's not likely to have two, but it's not impossible.

AFAIK, anything with common-rail (and I'm pretty sure the MaxxForce has it) should have the pump in the tank. High-pressure systems generally submerge the pump in the fuel tank to help keep it cool.

Bad pump is always a possibility, but I would check the pump power control circuit to make sure nothing is wrong there. Then check the lines all the way from the tank to the fuel rail to make sure there are no leaks or anything causing it to suck air.

One other thing about the MaxxForce, the 11-13Ls I drove had a manual hand pump on the driver's side of the engine, it was a collapsible screw-in hand knob, close to the filter if memory serves.

Not sure the smaller ones had this, but if it does, you unscrew the knob, pull it towards you, and push in and out until you start seeing fuel build in the filter. One-third to half-way full should start the engine. If this allows the engine to start, watch and see if it quits again. If you're not getting fuel this way either, I would suspect a faulty fuel gauge and an empty fuel tank, or a blockage in the lines.

If it runs longer than a couple minutes and quits again, that will point to components sucking air through a breach in the system. If it quits almost immediately, I would be looking for a fault in the fuel pump control circuit, or perhaps a bad fuel pump / blockage in the system.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I think I may need a fuel pump. I have power and ground at what I believe is the fuel pump, however none of the pictures or diagrams I have found quite match what's on my bus. The two diagrams I found show a six pin connector that plugs in to the top of the pump. My connector is a two wire and plugs in on the bottom. As far as I can tell, the pump sits in the same housing as the fuel filter. I will post pics later on.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

That sounds a lot like an automatic-drain water-fuel separator. Water in fuel is death for diesel engines, so most have a simple drain cock in the bottom of the filter housing to drain off water. Water is heavier than diesel fuel, so it settles to the bottom and can be drained through the bottom of the filter without introducing air into the system. Some of these have pumps with their own control circuit to automatically drain the water by themselves.

I would carefully inspect the top of the fuel tank for wires and fuel lines going in. I'd be very surprised if your fuel pump is not in the tank. Did you figure out if yours has the hand pump I mentioned?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

It looks to me like there is a manual drain under the filter. I found an access panel in the floor and it looks like there is only the fuel level sender in the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (489.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.jpg (507.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.jpg (210.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0147.jpg (250.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (193.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Interesting. I've never heard of any high-pressure fuel pump being anywhere but the fuel tank. Apparently it is indeed under the hood on at least some MaxxForce, at least the 11-13L models I operated. Learn something new every day... Just not common AFAIK. Freightliners (most of my OTR experience) were in the tank.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

This has been an interesting experience to say the least.
What I know so far is this: the hand pump is the round silver thing in IMG_0148. I can pressurize the system there and bleed it from a schrader valve on the side of the engine behind the fuel filter. It'll almost start and run if I pump it up enough.
All the diagnostic and service info that I've been able to Google shows a pump that is different from what's actually on the bus. I have what appears to be a two wire connector on the bottom of the pump but Google tells me that it should be a six pin connector with either five or six wires on the top of the pump. I did find a used fuel filter assembly online that looks like mine, so I sent my purchaser that link, and it's up to her to source one for me.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
I can pressurize the system there and bleed it from a schrader valve on the side of the engine behind the fuel filter. It'll almost start and run if I pump it up enough.
FWIW, I never had to bleed anything when this was necessary. And it started and ran fine. But then, I didn't have a possibly bad fuel pump, either. ;) It is starting to sound like that's the problem.

If you look more closely at the photo, you will see signs of seepage around one or two of those mounting screws, I wonder if the system might be sucking air from that. Just a thought. Not sure minor seepage like that would create a big enough breach to prevent starting though.

As to the wiring differences, could be a production date thing, and then again, could be a matter of it being an export model. Could even be a matter of someone 'modified' the system to get around a factory design flaw of some sort. *shrugs*

I drove a Pete 386 on which the factory water separator had been replaced with an aftermarket due to some quality / design issues with the original.

Damned thing was sucking a little bit of air somewhere, because every time I ran against the governor, it spiked a high exhaust temp code, and every time I went through a rainstorm, the "Water In Fuel" light came on and I'd have to stop on the side of the road to drain off the water. All good until the next storm, don't ask me why.

Do you have any links to the pumps you have found? All the ones I find on the Internet are gear driven.

https://www.tamerx.com/navistar-international-15.html

I see different applications, 7.6L, 9.0L, 11-15L, different years, but they all seem to be gear driven, which would negate the need for an electrical circuit.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

All the wetness you see is from me dribbling fuel all over the place...

I found this online:
https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24765760
Matches my setup exactly. My concern is that this piece isn't actually the pump...

Being that I'm on a remote construction site, it'll likely take a while for any parts or service manuals to show up. That's all up to the purchaser and site manager. Budget concerns, you know...
Old 04-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ok remote construction site got me?
diesel wont start?
i have solutions to figure out the problem?
how much fuel is in the tank? 1/4 to 1/2 at least not an option.
do you have an air compressor?
nitrogen bottle?
oxygen bottle?
if you have any of those then i can help. find the leak and figure out if it a fuel pump or not.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
not waiting for a response ? could be filters?
depending on what you have to do it?
wrap a rag around the hose and pressurize the fuel tank, look and fix leaks?
or just pressurize it and start it?
does it start but not run? fuel pump unless you are trying to put the full nitrogen bottle pressure of 2000psi in it need a regulator on any nitrogen or oxygen bottle dont bs this
i suspect a collapsed filter or air leak but if the filter is fine then pressurizing the tank from the fill neck will push the fuel enough to chase the leaks without the the pump sucking air in. the pump doesnt suck air in on the outlet side. it expels the air if everything on the inlet side is good and leaks fuel on anything bad on the outlet side.
pumps are easy disconnect the leaving and turn the key on and/and or try to start and see what you get now? do the same thing through the filters?
i say filters are clogged or collapsed? an opinion?
did you use biocide in your fuel that has been sitting through many various weather changes?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
All the wetness you see is from me dribbling fuel all over the place...

I found this online:
https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24765760
Matches my setup exactly. My concern is that this piece isn't actually the pump...
According to its listing, it's not, it's listed as a fuel filter base.

If there is wiring, it is likely for a sensor for detecting water in the fuel or low fuel pressure to indicate a blockage. Also mentions it is heated, so that may also be part of the wiring you mentioned.

According to the source I found, this is the pump, although I'm confused, I thought these were 7.6L, not 6.4L... Maybe they use the same pump?

MaxxForce Bus Injection Pump.png

https://www.tamerx.com/navistar-inte...2011-2013.html

Old 04-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Back to the beginning of the post, then. I can't be sure where the fuel pump is because I don't have a manual. I have no access to nitrogen or compressed air. I don't have the slightest idea what biocide is.

This bus was running fine up until the belt blew off of it mid-February. It took a good month to find and get a belt delivered for it. Once I got the belt on, it would not start, then the batteries died, so another week and a half to get batteries ordered and delivered.

Jolly Roger, I am on a remote construction site in Northern Manitoba, Canada. The nearest town for parts is Thompson, which is three hours away. If we can't get anything from Thompson, then it comes from Winnipeg, about 980 kilometers away.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ke...!4d-95.2349025

Cheese Wagon, according to my VIN I have a Maxxforce DT466 7.6L. As far as I can see, the fuel lines go from the tank to the fuel filter housing to the engine. The sticker on my fuel filter housing does indeed say heated, so I may be looking at the heater. I just don't know.

This is what I come up with when I Google "Maxxforce DT466 fuel pump"
https://www.tamerx.com/fuel-system-58.html
Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

So it's not a 2011 Maxxforce DT466. It's a 2009... Just checked the ESN this morning. I feel like an idiot.