Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: DTA360 Spicer 6+1 Manual
Rated Cap: 65
International spicer clutch replacement

I have a new to me 91 International blue bird with a 360 and a spicer 6+1. It needs a clutch.

How complicated is this if I have a trans jack and a concrete floor. I am pretty mech inclined I have rebuilt small engines remodeled houses and done heads gm 350. Is this something I can accomplish?

It seems that it should be pretty self explanatory once the drive shaft is off and the trans out of the way?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks In Advance
Tony

rex_1_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: International spicer clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_1_mn
I have a new to me 91 International blue bird with a 360 and a spicer 6+1. It needs a clutch.

How complicated is this if I have a trans jack and a concrete floor. I am pretty mech inclined I have rebuilt small engines remodeled houses and done heads gm 350. Is this something I can accomplish?

It seems that it should be pretty self explanatory once the drive shaft is off and the trans out of the way?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks In Advance
Tony
I have replaced clutches in automobiles and heavy trucks (semis and dump trucks mainly). However I haven't replaced on in a bus before but I just performed maintenance on my DT408 and the spicer tranny looks much like the heavy trucks I changed clutches on. There are really no tricks other than having an input shaft to align the clutch plate prior to tightening the pressure plate to the flywheel. Actually the heavy trucks are easier to change clutches on as there is usually much more room to access the bolts and such. When I replaced the clutches on the heavy trucks, after I got everything loose I would use a come-a-long to pull the tranny back from the motor. Don't reef on it, if it doesn't come without much effort then more than likely something is still attached. Other than that and the weight of the tranny it is pretty much the same as an automobile. Hope that helps.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Did you actually have a spare input shaft you used?

I should be abld to align it with a peice of stock with the same OD as the input shaft right?

Thanks In Advance
Tony
Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_1_mn
Did you actually have a spare input shaft you used?

I should be abld to align it with a peice of stock with the same OD as the input shaft right?

Thanks In Advance
Tony
Yeah, we had a bunch of input shafts from old tranny's. You would need to have a piece of stock that is the same OD as the input shaft and at the end of the stock and the same OD as the pilot bearing that goes in the flywheel. You could have a machine shop put it on a lathe and turn it down. I would probably stop at a truck/bus shop and see if you can borrow one then you are sure of the alignment.

I just thought of another thing we did to make the tranny go in easier also. Grease the input shaft of the transmission prior to re-installing the transmission. They can be a bear to get in with grease on the input shaft and are near impossible to get in without the grease.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Got the clutch in. Went pretty well took about 6 hours. Only hold up was of course getting the input shaft back in the engine. Do yourself a favor and take the shifter housing off right away......

Bad news is that I found a brake leak on my rear driver wheel... Not sure whats leaking yet....

If its not one thing its another....

Tony
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

clutch replacement

My last clutch replacement, the input shaft from the bus trans was removed, used for replacement as an alignment tool, then put back into trans. Trans was a Fuller 10 speed. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote